cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck Buy or Lease?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm still looking at new trucks (first time in 17yrs), and wondered if leasing would be a good option or not. I went and drove the Ram, and next will try the Ford, and Chevy. I do kind of favor the Cummins diesel, but will check out the Ford 6.2 gas model.
64 REPLIES 64

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leasing is a better option for people who need a reliable work car and will replace every 2 to 5 years. Or you need a type of vehicle for a few years and then will get something different for the long haul.

For folks who are keeping the vehicle for more than 5 years, leasing rarely makes sense.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I'm still looking at new trucks (first time in 17yrs), and wondered if leasing would be a good option or not. I went and drove the Ram, and next will try the Ford, and Chevy. I do kind of favor the Cummins diesel, but will check out the Ford 6.2 gas model.

Leasing is merely paying for vehicle depreciation on a monthly basis. Some say you are just renting the vehicle and that is equally true. There are often hidden costs in leasing, and that can be sales tax on the lease payment, surrender charges when you surrender the vehicle, inflated or even made up charges for normal wear and tear on the vehicle at surrender time, and of course, charge for every mile over the agreed amount.

Considering you kept your last vehicle for 17 years, the last thing you want to do is lease a vehicle.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your track record says you keep your vehicles a long time...buy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, leasing wouldn't do for me. We have now achieved our goal of not borrowing any money or having monthly payments for anything. If you lease on an ongoing basis you will never be without payments and never really even have any equity in a vehicle. As for short term costs I've read that having an auto loan and leasing about breaks even; both bad choices. It is very seductive because its a way to "afford" a new vehicle But better to pay cash for a used vehicle you can really afford.
Jayco-noslide

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles do you drive.
Most leases around here max out at 10,000 a year.