cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck Buy or Lease?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm still looking at new trucks (first time in 17yrs), and wondered if leasing would be a good option or not. I went and drove the Ram, and next will try the Ford, and Chevy. I do kind of favor the Cummins diesel, but will check out the Ford 6.2 gas model.
64 REPLIES 64

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 74 Im buying a Maserati. I'll never have to pay it off.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2004 diesel 2500, and I'm always worried if it will get me home on the next trip. A full warranty sure would be nice to have.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice one IdaD!

74? Buy the biggest baddest pickup you can for as little down as possible. Put everything in your kids names before you croak and drive it like you stole it!
That's my plan......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

Maybe his financial planning included making sure he had $600 a month to finance a new truck with. My retirement plan includes a truck payment, every month, until I die. I don't feel like dealing with someone else's 2 year old lemon when I can drive new, right off the lot.

Exactly. I retired at age 59 and budget for a truck payment of around $500/month forever. If I live that long. I have not been out of warranty on a vehicle for over fourteen years and I love it. If somebody says, "Let's go to California", I don't have to wonder if my rig will make it and I reply, "Count me in". That's the freedom I was looking for in retirement. If I could not afford it, I would do something else.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll See wrote:
I'm paying for 13,500 miles per year and you can choose what you want. Paying for miles upfront is cheaper than on the backend. Of course if I don't use all the miles I'm paying for what I didn't use.

If you only put 10K on it in a year, on New Years eve you could always put it on a couple of blocks, fire it up and run off 3500 miles lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I don't feel like dealing with someone else's 2 year old lemon when I can drive new, right off the lot.
I am retiring at 58 and one of the reasons I am retiring at 58 is that I bought 2 year old vehicles that still had a warranty instead of driving something off the lot and immediately losing 20%.

That's my choice and my opinion....you have yours. Let's leave it at that.

I can sell my 2 year old truck with 32,000 miles on it for what I paid for it new in 2015. Would that make me or the guy I sold it to smarter?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
This was my first pickup truck so I decided to lease it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have a pickup long term after having SUVs for years. Therefore, if I don't love it, I just return it after 3 years and get something else. I'm paying for 13,500 miles per year and you can choose what you want. Paying for miles upfront is cheaper than on the backend. Of course if I don't use all the miles I'm paying for what I didn't use.

On my other vehicle, our Honda Van, we bought new in 2007 and still have it. Plan to keep it for a few more years.

There is no one size fits all answer. If you plan on driving lots of miles or very few and want to customize your vehicle leasing is probably not a good choice. If you want to get the newest and latest and greatest every couple of years, a good lease deal may be the way to go.
Jeep and Explorer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
People tend to be more frugal when putting cash on the barrel.
Debt is easy money and easy to spend more than would otherwise paying cash.

So my advice to the 74yo that must finance is to look at XL or XLT vs the Platinum 4WD trim level. At the same time it is none of my business so best wishes whatever you decide.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Agreed, we can leave it at that: my point went way over your head.
I love it when people say their points went over someone's head...the arrogance! LOL

babock
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Agreed, we can leave it at that: my point went way over your head.
LOL...you had a point?

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agreed, we can leave it at that: my point went way over your head. The point was in the first two sentences. The last one had nothing to do with it.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
I don't feel like dealing with someone else's 2 year old lemon when I can drive new, right off the lot.
I am retiring at 58 and one of the reasons I am retiring at 58 is that I bought 2 year old vehicles that still had a warranty instead of driving something off the lot and immediately losing 20%.

That's my choice and my opinion....you have yours. Let's leave it at that.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
babock wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Suggesting that a 74 year old retiree save $600/month for five years so he can buy a 2022 pickup seems a little strange to me.
Suggesting that a retiree has to finance a truck means that retiree didn't do enough financial planning before he retired.

Better option is to buy a 2 year old truck with cash if that's the financial situation.
How do you know that?
Maybe his financial planning included making sure he had $600 a month to finance a new truck with. My retirement plan includes a truck payment, every month, until I die. I don't feel like dealing with someone else's 2 year old lemon when I can drive new, right off the lot.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
Suggesting that a retiree has to finance a truck means that retiree didn't do enough financial planning before he retired.

Suggesting why anyone does or doesn't have money is making a judgement that I am not able or prepared to make. I am certainly not going to accuse them of poor planning. Who plans poor health, layoffs, or a hundred other things that affect one's fortune? Like I predicted, this will turn into another "I have a few bucks, so I am better than you" threads.