cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Window Install , Has anyone done it ?

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I have tossed around the idea of adding a front window to our little trailer . Just curious if anyone on here has done it themselves .
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Well , a quick thanks for all the responses.
Think this one will be put on the back burner for now. Looks like it will still be limited to the few Outer Beach Camping trips this year as well .
Camp away !!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
JustALittleBeach wrote:
westend,
Clever idea on the transom window. Was there a problem with the wall thickness or was the wall made to accept it ... or did I miss that when reading , old here ๐Ÿ™‚ . Thanks a lot for the Generous offer on the window , but this is something I am having less and less ability to justify , on the Work to Use Scale . Don't know if you have seen any of my posts , but right now , our camping is very limited , Summer - Outer Beach only - 3 - 5 times per season. Also a trailer the size of (or smaller) than most slides ! May just wait it out as situation possibly changing in next year or so , if we move up , Next camper will have the front window and be larger ... you know up around the 14-15 ft range , Huge !
Thanks again
The plastic transom glass was a finned unit, made for a 5" jamb. When installed the jamb protrudes inside about 1". There is about 1" protruding on the exterior, as well. All of my windows are finned so all are the same aspect. I didn't want to cut the fins to move them in or out as the fins offer a bit of ease of installation and do offer up some sealing.

Yes, I've seen your beach campsite and nice small trailer. I'm a little bit jealous, I've got to admit, that looks like a great setup for a weekend (or longer) retreat. If I'm lucky, I may get back to Big Sur, CA one of these years, it's one of the most awesome sea sides in the world. No beachfront RV camping there, unfortunately.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
westend,
Clever idea on the transom window. Was there a problem with the wall thickness or was the wall made to accept it ... or did I miss that when reading , old here ๐Ÿ™‚ . Thanks a lot for the Generous offer on the window , but this is something I am having less and less ability to justify , on the Work to Use Scale . Don't know if you have seen any of my posts , but right now , our camping is very limited , Summer - Outer Beach only - 3 - 5 times per season. Also a trailer the size of (or smaller) than most slides ! May just wait it out as situation possibly changing in next year or so , if we move up , Next camper will have the front window and be larger ... you know up around the 14-15 ft range , Huge !
Thanks again

westend
Explorer
Explorer
JustALittleBeach wrote:
westend,
On a side note , I went through the Cowboy Hilton posts. Nice stuff . A lot of really nice work in there .
Well, thanks!:)
As HD notes, a rock shield is a very good idea. I would bet you can pick one up at an RV boneyard for very cheap.

FWIW, my "new" front window is a transom sidelight out of a residential patio door set (I have stuff like this laying around,lol). It is 3/4 " triple pane, Low-E, with at least the inner pane being tempered. These types of stationary glass are available through many lumber yards or the big box stores. I haven't priced one lately but the few I bought over the last ten years don't break the bank. If you want an operating set, the boneyard, again, would be a good place to shop.

Hey, I don't know if it would be price-wise to ship you one but if you want the front window set I pulled, you would be welcome to it. It has a stationary middle section and two operating jalousie sections on the sides. You may want something newer but the price (besides shipping) is as right as I can make it = 0. If you're interested send me a PM.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
westend,
On a side note , I went through the Cowboy Hilton posts. Nice stuff . A lot of really nice work in there .

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog ,
Thanks for the additional info and insight . That may just be another thing for me to put on the "cons" side of this list.
Happy Camping

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
JustALittleBeach wrote:
Thanks for all the responses ,
I appreciate it. I Have done Home windows and have cut a few smaller openings ( for access panels ) on other trailers in the past. These were smaller , so they were simple to frame / brace .Done interior stuff , but I guess the potential Outside Elements Coming in , is the scary part . I guess I will have to decide if it's a project I want to tackle , and of course see if it will mess up that all important front decal ๐Ÿ˜‰ But seriously , thanks for all the input

If it is a front window, there is another consideration. When these are factory installed, they have a provision for rock damage prevention when under tow. This is usually in the form of a fiberglass rock shield that can be raised up to make a awning when camped. Sometimes they will use automotive windshield type glass instead.. If you use regular windows and it is broken by a rock, and it happens to rain while you are towing, the unit will have a LOT of rainwater inside it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses ,
I appreciate it. I Have done Home windows and have cut a few smaller openings ( for access panels ) on other trailers in the past. These were smaller , so they were simple to frame / brace .Done interior stuff , but I guess the potential Outside Elements Coming in , is the scary part . I guess I will have to decide if it's a project I want to tackle , and of course see if it will mess up that all important front decal ๐Ÿ˜‰ But seriously , thanks for all the input

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I removed and installed three windows in my rig, including the long front window. Measure twice, cut once.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is wood framed. I've added a window in back and roof vent. Both were simple, and I'm not a carpenter. It's very doable.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marquette types faster than me.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put 4 windows in a cargo trailer. Dealing with the steel cage was a lot harder than with aluminum or wood. Make sure you have the total wall thickness noted when ordering. For cutting the wall, I've found that one of the oscillating multi tools works best. Slower than a jigsaw, but less worry about scratches.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I put 5 windows in a cargo trailer and it was a longer project than planned but not overly complicated. Much like putting a window in a house you need to locate the studs and put a header in above and below the window. Since most TT's have wood studs it should be easier than dealing with the metal studs on a cargo trailer. Your framing will be rectangular so you will need to cut radius pieces for the corners because if you are using the clamp in style window or the screw mount window you need something solid for the corners to pull against so you can seal the window correctly. After the first window I found that making sure the trailer was perfectly level allowed me to use a level on the window frame to make sure the window was straight. I used 3M marine sealant around the frame before setting the frame in place and checked to make sure I had excess squeeze out all around with no gaps and then cleaned off the excess. I know the 3M sealant is overkill and expensive but I've used it on several boats where the joints are either under water or get a lot of wave action and it has never leaked. You are going to need to get inside the wall enough to fasten your headers securely to keep the integrity on the wall. From replacing rotten wood on campers in the past your camper will determine if that is easier from the inside or outside. On a trailer you should not have to worry about electrical wires but to be safe i would shut the power off to the trailer until I cut my hole open. If you can put a window in a house you can put a window in a trailer because for the most part they are just standard stick construction only using different materials.

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,
Thanks for the response . I think it's more of a Getting started thing , like most of my projects. Not saying it will be easy , as every time I say anything is Easy , it seems to take on a life of it's own !