cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie: Best Manufacturers for Used?

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 2500HD Silverado. I had been paying attention to towing capacity (9900lb), but only just learned this morning I need to look at payload data, which I will review later. We're only looking to move it rarely, so towing should be less of an issue.

We are interested in a used TT, preferably in the range of $16-18K, though some wiggle room. We are looking for a 28-31 foot unit with a rear bunk house and are seeing a number of options on Craigslist. I see from RV.net I should also be reviewing RVTrader.

The problem I have is, aside from simply walking through them and looking for wear and tear, how do I know brand reliability? I've seen consistent support for Keystone, Airstream, and Dutchman, though don't know if that should really matter. Any reason I shouldn't consider Jayco, Nomad, and Heartland?
14 REPLIES 14

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It really comes down to how the previous owners have cared for it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a three year old TT that was mint. We did more wear and tear in the first year. Still there are strange issues that pop up the make you wonder if the first owner did it or did it come from the factory that way.

The TT has served us well for over 20,000 miles in the last three years.

My point, look close and talk to the previous owner. I never thought of that at the time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
The less wood the better,top to bottom. Metal floor is best if you can find it, wont rot. In the end at some point it will leak, especially if it has a slide.

four22
Explorer
Explorer
That ole boy in the video is pretty brave to be bouncing around up on that roof weighing in at 260 pounds.....

westend
Explorer
Explorer
GeneDoc wrote:
Thank you all. I greatly appreciate your assistance! You are too kind!

You're very welcome.
Hoping you use your membership here to join in the RV fun. Let us know what you end up buying and how it works out for you.
Best of luck!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I greatly appreciate your assistance! You are too kind!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airstreams are very expensive but do have issues as they do have roof vents and caulked vents etc. I really do not have too much knowledge on them. The things I say here may or may not reflect Airstream. But anything exposed to UV that rolls down the highway at hurricane speeds while twisting and turning can't possibly remain as solid as it was new.

All it takes is a tree branch to poke a hole in caulking and you have a potential leak. Most owners NEVER climb onto roofs as a normal thing after a trip and often, branches scrape our RV's.

As said by many , brands do not matter too much. Its the care that the previous owner took to keep what he/she had in good condition.
I have seen inexpensive RV's last many years with no issues.
Its basically an exterior project and a build project due to the fact that most of the internal appliances are the same throughout this industry.

Learn what to look for during an inspection.
Use a flashlight , look for old water stains on outside walls under cabinets.

use your nose,
bury your head inside cabinets and under beds, do you smell dampness (mold) ? if so make a U-turn and walk.
remember, water seeks a low level area,check those surfaces well .
a wet (soft) floor can mean a leak in the roof or from a clearance light which is very common.

Look for dried cracked seams on caulked lights and caulked seams around baggage doors etc.

Entrance doors, have been a big repair project at rv repair shops.
The glass windows in them tend to leak if not caulked by owners. The doors rot out at the bottom and allow water to penetrate sill plates, then floors. Quite often you will find a soft spot in a floor as you enter an RV .
Look at the quality of the doors, they are all pretty bad. They are aftermarket and normally not made by the RV mfg.
(same with windows)

Check exterior moldings and cappings at seams. Most all are screwed in place. At a low point, remove a screw and see if water pours out. It should be dry . If not, there water in that wall.

Lastly, check the roof. Many people never climb onto a roof . That's where your major holes for vents are unless you buy a unit with a slideout, then you really have a major hole and you may have more issues than you could ever dream of. Lots of people sell due to slide issues.

Do yourself a favor a lift up the carpet under a slideout and check the floor. I have helped take apart slideouts where owners had no idea they had a leak and guess what ....they had a leak. We once extended a slide and fell it onto the ground. That was after the owner said " I have never had any slideout problems".

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There really is no one or two brands that are above the rest. Al of them are built as fast and as cheap as possible. Good inspection will save you time and $$$ in the future. If you don't have time to develop skills and knowledge to properly inspect, it may be a good idea to hire a professional inspection service to aid you.

If I was buying a newer trailer, I'd have a pressurized leak test done before major money changes hands.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The "best" trailer when new may not be so good 5 years later if not well cared for. The bottom feeders may be just fine in 5 years if they were well cared for.

Having owned 3 Jaycos in the last 23 years (first 2 for 10 years each), I can say that overall they are solidly built trailers. Then again I keep up with worn, dried seals, etc.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
many used can be found at a Dealer.. but dealers are just like used trailer..
some good.. many fair, some are BAD...

ask around for dealer reputations... and some offer a 60 day warranty on Used trailers..

and remember light/lite, ect are not as Strong as others. lite for a reason.

and if trailer is within 75 percent of you tow vehicle capacity ... get it weighted FIRST... as many are listed WRONG..

mine was 800 pounds MORE that both tags stated... good thing I have a truck with capacity.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
What is better a used Ford or Chevrolet?

The best used product started out being the best new product. Then it was meticulously maintained. The best new product abused will not be then be the best used product.

With a used RV, the biggest culprit is water intrusion. Do not consider any RV that has had any form of water intrusion, regardless of how little and whether it has since been repaired.

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0SPexRHgo

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is the important factor when buying a used RV.
Don't just concentrate on the manufacturer.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The "best used trailer"? ... regardless of brand, one that hasn't yet leaked! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
All brands of campers have their good ones and their lemons. All the brands you mentioned are about equal in quality and reputation. Airstream still stands a head above the rest though.

For almost every camper, once it reaches 1 year old, there is no more warranty left from the manufacturer. Remember, the manufacturer is the company that assembles the parts. If the parts are still holding together after 1 year, then the camper (in all practical reality) has survived it's life time.

Now each individual part will also have it's own manufacturer warranty, which is usually longer than 1 year. The trailer frame will usually be warrantied for 5 years, the oven 2 years, the refrigerator 5 years, and so on. If you have an issue with the "parts" you have to fight the "part" manufacturer, not the RV manufacturer.

And then, when everything reaches a certain age, you are simply on your own if something gets broken or needs replaced from wear and tear.

Age in a camper (of any kind) does not mean anything either! What does matter is how well the previous owner kept the camper and maintained it. A 1 year old camper can be a hunk of junk if the owner abused it and did nothing to take care of it and maintain it. A 30 year old camper may look aged and dated, but may be in immaculate shape if the owner took care of it and fixed thing when things needed fixing.

To answer your question, there is no single bullet answer. You have to examine every camper you are considering for the merit of that camper.

One word of advise about purchasing anything, especially off the internet ... never, never, never purchase an RV without first seeing it yourself and have the owner turn on and run everything first. Including dumping the tanks. Make sure the tanks are empty when you buy it.