cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking to buy

Stan3718
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the step of buying our first TT and wanted some input. We know that we want a BH style, 29-31 ft, slides on backside, and an electric awning. I've been going to the auction locally and just missed a 14 Jayco swift 287bhbe. I'm not apposed to used and recognize the markup on TT's is astronomical. Locally, we have a place that sells Forest Rivers at wholesale. Thoughts on them? After awhile they all start looking the same. Thanks in advance
20 REPLIES 20

Stan3718
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up going to the ADESA auction Friday and came home with a 2014 Keystone Hideout 28bhs. A few things to do to it, but got a good buy on a very clean camper. Looking forward to using it.

Stan3718
Explorer
Explorer
I think we have overwhelmed ourselves with shopping. We really like the Lacrosse. We have looked at several new and used. Im going to the auction again this week to see whats available. Again, Thanks for the responses.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:
We have a shadow cruiser. Bought it a few years ago and still haven't found anything we like better.

Try going to RV shows in your area where you can actually walk in the units and see what you like and what you don't.

FWIW, we bought new and haven't regretted it. I'm always concerned about how past owners have maintained, or rather not maintained, their rigs. I know weather or not I have maintained my roof or if it has leaked, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.

We have an '06 and I haven't seen one yet that I like better mostly because ours just feels solid, have had zero issues with it and can't think of one reason to trade it or sell it.
It fits us perfectly so whatever you find that "fits" you and your family is what will be perfect for you!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

USMC1833
Explorer
Explorer
Stan I have a 2007 Rockwood 8318SS. It has a rear bunkhouse and has worked great for my five year old twins. I live up in Columbus and looking to try and sell the TT due to my new job. Let me know if your interested.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We have a shadow cruiser. Bought it a few years ago and still haven't found anything we like better.

Try going to RV shows in your area where you can actually walk in the units and see what you like and what you don't.

FWIW, we bought new and haven't regretted it. I'm always concerned about how past owners have maintained, or rather not maintained, their rigs. I know weather or not I have maintained my roof or if it has leaked, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Bingo!, Route 33. Old brains forget details like that. Is Indian Lake open for electric only camping in the winter???
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadmomh wrote:
You are just about 2 - 3 hours away from RVW. Definitely suggest you spend some time on their website....might find just what you want and save a bunch of $$$$. They're in Lakeview....north on I-75 to Hwy??(Rt. 33Indian Lake is all of 10 minutes from RVW and the perfect place for the first night or so to really go over everything.... We found a couple of minor things on our Rockwood 2604, called RVW that afternoon, went by the next morning and we were out in maybe 30 minutes...Figure about 30 - 35% off their listed MSRP...maybe better this time of the year.
That was my experience with them. We did Indian Lake as a shake down. RVW encourages buyers to do that before heading home.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ttsr4us
Explorer
Explorer
Do not be afraid to bargin. I got 25% off an in stock 2015 Airstream with a break even cost of a Reese Dual Cam hitch fitted and a few other goodies (more than the usual hose etc) thrown in.

I'm sure I'd have got more off another brand.

Make sure you get the price first with all the options included then go for it.
Brian and Esta

previously 2 Trailers and 2 Motorhomes, back in the trailer game.

GMC Sierra 3500HD 2WD, SLT Crew Short Bed. Duramax. 2014

Airstream 2016 Flying Cloud 30 RB with 2 a/c + Window Awnings

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchman also makes a bunkhouse
http://dutchmentravel-trailers.com/261bhs.html
RV Wholesalers RVW is a good place to start for seeing actual models.
Herself and I narrowed our search by looking at the floorplans on the main websites of the manufacturers and picking out those that appealed to us. We then visited the rigs in person. Don't forget to check clothing closet space. With kids you'll need it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Rosscoe40
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Wolf 26DBH by Forest River is pretty nice out at Holman in Batavia. My brother is looking at that one to buy. It is affordable with lots of features. I like the double bunks and big fridge.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
You are just about 2 - 3 hours away from RVW. Definitely suggest you spend some time on their website....might find just what you want and save a bunch of $$$$. They're in Lakeview....north on I-75 to Hwy?? near Lima (UGH!), head east a few miles and there you are. Indian Lake is all of 10 minutes from RVW and the perfect place for the first night or so to really go over everything. Their full hookup sites leave something to be desired but the water/electric are very nice. We found a couple of minor things on our Rockwood 2604, called RVW that afternoon, went by the next morning and we were out in maybe 30 minutes....one speaker wire not connected and a crack in a piece of exterior trim. They connected the wire, got a pix of the crack to forward to FR and we were done. Had the new trim piece in about a week. IF we ever changed from Rocky - which isn't going to happen - it would likely be another Rockwood and from RVW again. If nothing else, they will email you prices on anything you're interested in and it's a good bargaining tool for local dealer. Figure about 30 - 35% off their listed MSRP...maybe better this time of the year.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned, the best one is the floor plan that fits your needs.

In general, Forest River has had good reviews. All of the manufacturers build a bad one, occassionally. I have had four travel trailers. Two, including the current one, have been Flagstaff's (by Forest River).

The key is how they are maintained. An entry level unit, that is well maintained, will last longer than a high end unit that is neglected.

When you drag these things down the road, at 60+ MPH, things are going to come apart, doesn't matter who built it.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Look at both the Rockwood and Flagstaff line from Forest river The Classic super lite offers many nice features. I have owned FR Sandpiper in the past and just purchased a 2015 Flagstaff. If you look at Platinum edition or Diamond you will get some nice upgrades including the electric awning with roller protection. I think this is our last purchase so I went New (rocks in my head) I wanted what I wanted. In the midwest it is a good time to deal as the RV dealers want to clear inventory and make so cash flow. I had RV direct price a unit for me that I thought was a fair price. The local dealer came down to within $100.00 of that price. Don't be shy in walking out the door if they don't accept a reasonable offer. I got about 40% off the MSRP but I pretty much expected that. Good luck and happy hunting
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Stan3718
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I have the hitch, bars, and plenty of truck. I recently sold my racing operation and have towed enclosed trailers for 18 years or so. Very familiar with towing. My grandparents has a fifth wheel and I use to camp all the time with them. Just time to make memories with my young family.