cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie mistake......

Neal_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing this for a lot of years but a couple of weeks ago I made two newbie mistakes on the same weekend.
1-Got all hooked up and couldn't get hot water. Result, make sure you switch the winterizing valves back before you burn up the heating element. Yep, I did.

2-For a while the water was off at our campground so I was just going to use the pump. It never would prime and start pumping. Result, make sure you open the valve to the tank if you want to get water out.

So, for your own sanity don't make the mistakes I did.
2016 Keystone Laredo 297SRE
Andersen Ultimate
2002 Chev. 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4
18 REPLIES 18

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Got my camper back from the dealer this morning. All is working well again. I filled the water tank and made sure the water heater was off bypass. Gas and electric both working. So now I'm all ready for the next brain fart! Hope it's another 30 years before it happens again!

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
DRKMinWA wrote:
My last one was pulling in, leveling side to side and then proceeded to bring the tongue jack down to release the hitch from the ball. Sure glad I remembered to leave the safety chains hooked up since I forgot to place the chocks! No injuries or damage to truck or trailer. My ego has mostly recovered.

I did the exact same thing last year. Scared the POOP out of me.
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
At my age I just roll with the punches and use my check off lists (If I remember)

You know, I've got to add the water heater to my setup check list, if I can find the file on the hdd.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer
My last one was pulling in, leveling side to side and then proceeded to bring the tongue jack down to release the hitch from the ball. Sure glad I remembered to leave the safety chains hooked up since I forgot to place the chocks! No injuries or damage to truck or trailer. My ego has mostly recovered.
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

Neal_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This has been hilarious! It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one with senior moments.
2016 Keystone Laredo 297SRE
Andersen Ultimate
2002 Chev. 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Yesterday, I noticed the grab handle was still out as we were rolling down the inter state.

That is just a spoiler so that the rig looks more race worthy!

X-wing fighter mode.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold our old trailer to my wife's brother. His wife called one night wanting help to get the hot water going. She could hear the burner so thought all was good.

The husband called a few nights later and asked the same. We went over it several times. He said he was good. Next day when taking a shower, I thought of them not changing the valves when they dewinterized it. Texted him info, he did face plant... he knew he was forgetting something under the sink but could not remember what it was... he never said if they got hot water or not.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I think we all make mistakes... no matter how long we have been rving...I was cracking up,,, because a few years ago I burned up our electric heating element at the campground too...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It adds to the full rv'ing experience . Add me to the list.

Look at the majority of people who responded.
Senior members have Senior moments. 🙂

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Yesterday, I noticed the grab handle was still out as we were rolling down the inter state.

That is just a spoiler so that the rig looks more race worthy!

Good, because I've done it three times already with our new trailer. Old one was small and didn't fold.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
ha, made the same mistake on not switching the valves for the hot water heater. i realized after running cold water in the shower wondering "WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO GET WARM!"
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Burned my element out a week ago. Using the 5th wheel for a guest house. Filled her all up and turned on the element, everything was perfect. Thought I would drain the tanks one more time just so the water was nice and fresh. Guess what I forgot to do. That's right, I didn't turn off the element. I went to the RV joint, they wanted 32 bucks for a element. Then I went to home depot. Bought two for eleven dollars a piece. I bought two just in case I have another brain malfunction.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
At my age I just roll with the punches and use my check off lists (If I remember)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Remind me not to get old. Oh, wait... too late! 😉
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point