cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie needs avice

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there, new guy from Orlando. I had a 25 Terry years ago that worked nicely. I've recently had some medical issues and long distance flying is out. We are considering a TT as I have a 2104 Ram Cummins 4x4 that will pull anything.

If I am able to travel, I'd like to do national parks and hear there's a size preference or limit. I will keep the TT on my property as a guest house and I'd like to spend 25K or less.

Any suggestions as to brand, size, options? My knowledge base is 30 years old, but we are boaters and used to the space restrictions a TT would present. I'm learning that portable gennies are the rage, that's a news item for me and makes sense.

Thanks in advance. There are two of us and five small rescue dogs to house. I can easily build a secure travel pen on a bunk for the little ones. The Chihuahua, of course likes to drive.
17 REPLIES 17

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not jump into the what ifs, gennies, solar, extra battery capacity and a host of heavy duty options have their place, but only if your camping style needs them.

You will learn over time, where and how you like to prefer to camp.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Renting a TT is the smart thing to do. It will teach you a lot in a short period of time.

The national parks are different. What works for the Everglades may not work for Glacier National Park etc.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Shark1007 wrote:
Now that's info I was looking for! Which parks are a problem with a 30 footer?

As far as I know, all National Parks use recreation.gov for booking. This website allows you to search for sites with different criteria including length.

As an example, Elkmont is one of the NPS campgrounds in the Great Smoky Mountains NP. It has a total of 210 sites, however when you type in 30' RV length as a search criteria, the number of available sites drops to 34. Keep in mind that in campgrounds like this where there are a limited number of larger sites, those may be likely to book up earlier.

I'm sure it is possible that there are some National Parks that don't have any sites that can accommodate a 30 footer, but so far all of the ones we have tried to camp at do have at least some sites that can.

Just go to recreation.gov and pick out some parks you think you might want to visit, then enter 30' for example. Don't enter a date because then it will only show you sites that aren't currently booked for that date. You want to know how many total sites the campground has that can accommodate 30', so just enter the length only.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Now that's info I was looking for! Which parks are a problem with a 30 footer?

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 30 footer and love the roominess, but we are somewhat limited at the National Parks. I guess it varies by park, but some of the ones we visit only have a few sites that can accommodate a 30 footer. Drop down to 25' and the number of sites that you'll fit in will increase significantly. It's definitely a trade-off, I'd say find a few floor plans in different sizes you like, then look up some National Parks you plan on visiting and see what size campers they can accommodate.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe you could rent a TT near your home and take it out locally to see how you like camping. It would also give you a idea of what features you will like and which ones you don't need.

After you do purchase a TT camp in your yard the first time to see what supplies you want to bring with and if there is anything you have forgotten. Then plan your first couple of trips close to home.

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips, I'm all ears. Thanks so much, keep 'em coming. We looked at a leftover Evergreen 30 footer today that was a stunner with the big slide-outs.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 28ft Jayco Jayflight that I pull with my F150 (well within weight limits, so I don't need the weight police)... anyhow, my TT model is a 24RKS, but the actual length from tongue to bumper is 28ft.

I am in Georgia and traveling in the east, I have only run into a couple of places that I was too long for. I have run across another few sites that I didn't have backing skills to get into because of trees near site. Even the parks that have some sites that have 25ft max, the park has other sites that are larger.

I think if you get a light weight trailer with a 20-25 ft box size, you should fine. Be sure you get an electric tongue jack and use it when you hook up and you will find hooking up is not as painful as you remember. Also have stabilizers attached that you can use a cordless drill with, much better than trying to get the square jacks lined and the trailer level.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in good health and can climb up in the bunk look at Truck Campers, then you can go any where you want to. Just a thought.

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, mine's a 2500 short crew 4x4 mega cab.

Does anyone know how they measure? Hitch to rear bumper I would think, I will look at solar too, thank you.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your truck a 2500 or 3500......big difference in what they are rated for.

Dodge Truck/Tow Ratings
Look up your specific truck and then go get truck weighed 'camp ready' (you, fuel, passengers, stuff etc.) and then compare to weight ratings.
Then you will have a real world idea on how much you have left on each axle, on truck total etc.

With all those dogs.......not plan on staying at many private campgrounds as most have a 2 dog limit.

State/National CGs, Fairgrounds and COE (Corp of Engineers) will be your best as they rarely have any pet restrictions.
OR boondocking (dry camping)

Generators........boondocking yes.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think some of the National parks have some areas that are restricted to 25' or less. If you search the website of the Park you want to visit, the camping info is all spelled out as to length, amenities, etc.

Besides generators, solar power is now in the Rage category, too. I have some and it is like sliced bread.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Shark1007
Explorer
Explorer
korbe

I agree completely, I hate genie noise. I was interested in one to use when at home to charge batteries/run a.c. etc. Lots of the older Hatteras like I have came equipped with noisy stinky diesel Onans, bad luck to get next to one running in a marina for sure. My thought was to build a pole barn and store the TT underneath without the need for required power for dehumidifying and such.

Is there a common size limit for the Nat'l parks? How do they measure?

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Shark1007 wrote:
........... I'm learning that portable gennies are the rage, that's a news item for me and makes sense........

Even though gennies may be the rage, a few of us out there in our National Parks, as well as in the many Forest Service campgrounds, prefer the quiet sounds of the natural environment over the purring sounds of our camping neighbor's generator because they require the complete comforts of home. Many quiet alternatives then needing a generator, IMHO.