cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Needs Help

word
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all...just now getting into the Travel Trailer market and wanted some recommendations. Looking to get a used trailer and have absolutely no idea if any make or model is better than the other. I'm on a tight budget, so when I say used...I mean used. From what I can gather from pictures, the ones I'm interested in have potential, albeit in need of some elbow grease. Anyway...does anyone have any thoughts on the following

1988 Nomad by Skyline 24 ft
1979 Skyline Laton 22 Ft
1987 Coachmen 28Ft
1992 Sunline...not sure on the length yet
1979 Wilderness 24Ft

Anything and everything would be appreciated. As well as any thoughts on what to look for in these older travels.

Thanks all....appreciate the help
15 REPLIES 15

Glen_Gray
Explorer
Explorer
Our first TT was a 1978 29 ft raised rear bedroom Wilderness. We gave it up only because we couldn't keep ahead of the leaks in the roof. But it was a great unit and easy to tow. We still have many fond memories of iit.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't care what name is on the side. The only important consideration with RVs of that age is condition.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I'm certainly not advocating buying new, but you do need need to be prepared to put money into a travel trailer, especially one that is 15, 20 or 30 years old. I don't mean total restoration either, just make sure you budget is prepared for some repairs. It would not take a huge problem either where the repair cost is comparable to to the value of the proposed trailers.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from the condition issues (which are obviously important), how will the TT be used, by whom, and with what vehicle will it be towed? Regardless of condition, you should still be searching out a TT that fits your needs, and the models you mentioned seemed to be all over the map. I realize the cost restricts your selection, but that doesn't mean you want to buy something that doesn't fulfill your goal.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

word
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. We are heading out to take a look at few this weekend....we'll see how it goes

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sunline for sure of that group but actual condition is the #1 consideration.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
word wrote:
Appreciate the insight. Any of the above Models have a better reputation than the other...in your opinion?

Thanks again.

Sunline, again. I think there's still a Sunline Forum, also, so if you end up with a Sunline, there will be a depository of info available.

RV.net Forum member UPbuilder restored an older Sunline, one he found parked in the woods. It turned out to be a great looking rig.

You could check out his restoration thread or the one in my signature (Cowboy/Hilton) to see what can be done with a vintage travel trailer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
In my opinion, if any of them are still on the road, they must all be good.

As stated above ... water leaks. If there's evidence of a water leak, PASS!

X2 on this!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We owned a 2003 Sun line until this past summer and they were very well built. But it really boils down to water damage and even a Sunline would be vulnerable at that age. So, everything else aside, you choice has to start with a trailer free of water damage.....and even if you don't see any, have it inspected by a rv repair shop.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine just purchased a 2001 27ft Fleetwood wilderness with a slide for $1500. He took a gamble we were not sure if anything worked. it was full of trash and had no way of testing anything. In a way he was glad he didn't. The owner would have probably tried to jack up the price a little bit he had a take it or leave it attitude. It had been sitting in a tow yard for 3 yrs and was dirty! We got it back to his place we threw in a couple 6v costco batteries and it came to life. Everything worked perfect. Only thing it was missing was the LP Fridge. It had a regular compressor fridge. Long story short my buddy is very happy with his purchase. He had to invest a lot of time in cleaning, installed a new floor and blinds but thats about it.

There are some diamonds out there if your patient and have knowledge of appliances structure and roofs. My suggestion to you would be read a lot on the forum. The people on here are very knowledgeable, friendly and always helpful.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

word
Explorer
Explorer

Good point

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

As stated above ... water leaks. If there's evidence of a water leak, PASS!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The Sunline is the best of those mentioned.

word
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the insight. Any of the above Models have a better reputation than the other...in your opinion?

Thanks again.