cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question about power cord length

pratmaster
Explorer
Explorer
So how long of a power cord should I keep in my camper? do I really need a 100' cord, or will my heavy duty 25' be long enough?

I am trying to put together the camper with what I have, but do not want to load to much unnecessary stuff as I tend to over kill everything. Such as put 2 100' cords in the camper rather then just the 25' one.
18 REPLIES 18

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 25' and a 50'. If you ever camp in a Michigan state park, chances are good that you will need both, as I did.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I made up a 10' 15 amp plug to my 30 amp as there was a place I stayed on the dock all summer that only had 15 amp service...didn't even have to take the 30 amp out of the cubby...that will dissapear and go to the Marinco style on the rebuild. I used power for refer,TV and charger. No need to get fancy.

For your question I'd carry 2 25' and call it good! Much easier to handle and if you don't need 50 it is not stretched out all over as a trip hazard. Post some pics of your old fellow!!! Have fun.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't carry one because I'd need a heavy weight one to be able to run the AC/Microwave. I've used a normal extension cord to keep the batteries charged when visiting friends. I just don't run the AC or Microwave.

I don't carry hardly anything just in case.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50' cord and I've used it many times. Occasionally I can't back into a campground space far enough because of my boat. Most of the time I use it when I am borrowing electricity from a friend's house or charging up before a trip.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
My main cord is about 25' long. I still carry a 50' 14ga extension cord. Most of the times, I pop out the extension cord, connect it between the main cord and the power box. So much easier than trying to coil up the main cord, especially in the winter.

Note however that I am not a heavy power user. Worst case in the winter is a 600 watt heater and few more amps for the inverter. In the summer time, when I run the a/c, only the main cord is used.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys use the extension cord for main power? I use an extension cord pretty often but only to run appliances off the exterior receptacle on the camper.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
trop-a-cal wrote:
If you have a long connection to a point of power, the amperage drops.

It's actually the voltage that drops, (due to resistance of the long cord).... and as the voltage goes lower, the amp draw goes UP, not down.

Ohms's law.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pratmaster
Explorer
Explorer
trop-a-cal wrote:
,then knowing your wire gauge, and distance to your RV to determine if you have more power than you are drawing. Low power draw can cause fire due to heating up appliances and wire. I bet you find that shocking .................

Actually I understand this all to well, the people that I bought my house from had 3 window ac units on the same 20 amp breaker, the wire was melted from the over loading. I removed it all when I had central ac/heat installed.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a long connection to a point of power, the amperage drops. That burns out any unit like an air conditioner that may require 13.5 AMPs to start and around 10 AMPs to run. You have to know your draw of AMPs are lower than the power drop. It's all determined by starting at the power source, and determining what is being delivered,(which changes at peek power demand, if your are sharing power between the main box and your connection),then knowing your wire gauge, and distance to your RV to determine if you have more power than you are drawing. Low power draw can cause fire due to heating up appliances and wire. I bet you find that shocking .................

pratmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I think that is what mine is, not 100% sure. It's a thick ol cord.
My ac is on its own cord, it's a really big cord too, so all I would be running is the lights, maybe the microwave now and then and I am not sure I will ever use the fridge since its just 110v, I might take it out since what ever I had in it would ruin when not plugged in while driving around as I do not plan on staying in one spot for very long when camping.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just make sure the cord is #12 wire and go with what you have.
Worst case you just pick up what is needed on the road.

pratmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind, Billtex has the best idea that I completely just never thought of. Yep.....

pratmaster
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:

You have a truck camper...you can move it...

😮 good point, yeah I think I need to go back to bed and start the day over LOL

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
our camper has a 25' cord and we carry another 30' extension, which I use all the time. Easier to replace the extension cord if it gets worn and damaged, then to replace the camper power cord and we often use both.