cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie with a Jayco 23B

darlingtontrio
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just bought a 2001 Jayco 23B. I have grown up in a motorhome & a TT, so the lifestyle is nothing new to me, but the set up and everything is. On our TT there is a battery at the front. Here is my dumb question. What is the battery for? Absolutely nothing works when it is not hooked up to 110. We are hoping to take it out for a spin in November for the first time. Thanks, David
2013 Ford F150 STX
2001 Jayco Kiwi Hybrid 23B
16 REPLIES 16

darlingtontrio
Explorer
Explorer
I found a connection under the tongue that went to the battery was unplugged. Hoped that was the issue, but eventually found out it was not. I have not had a chance to do more digging. As soon as I can get a day when I am off an dno rain I am going to start trouble shooting some more.
2013 Ford F150 STX

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
So OP did you find the problem? Enquiring minds want to know!

JFHenne
Explorer
Explorer
There is a fuse in the line from the battery right near the terminal connection. It is a standard automotive fuse - I don't remember the amps. Mine burned out for no apparent reason. Took some testing to find that darn fuse, but replacing it solved the problem.
The Hennes - John & Robin
Jayco Jay Feather 25Z

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to your battery. In the wiring harness coming from your battery there should be a 20 or 30 amp blade fuse. This fuse isolates the battery and prevents battery drain by the parasitic loads. If the fuse is blown or removed no power will reach the coach,nor will the battery charge without it.

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
If the battery was connected to the trailer for a couple of weeks without 110v power applied the battery is dead. Parasitic electrical loads like the LP leak detector and radio siphon power all the time. Install a switch or disconnect the battery between trips.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

pookiebear38
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 23B

If the battery is charged, check the fuse connected to the battery. I hate to say that I have had to change many of those. Ooops!
The breakers are at the floor under the bed behind the bathroom. Yep, I've flipped a few of those, too.
After that, I guess I'd check the battery converter. I'm not going to push my luck on that....
I've never seen a reset anywhere on our frame and we've been using it since we got it in 2005.
Me, DH, DD21, Elliott & Abby (dogs) and Mary Jane (cat)
2007 Crossroads Cruiser CF30SK
2011 Chevrolet 2500 HD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
as was said, you need to check the battery monitor when it's NOT plugged in to shore power. if it's plugged in, it will always show full.
second, you need to give us more specific info. if none of the 12v items are working and you tested the battery with a voltmeter, then the 12v resettable fuse/breaker under the trailer's A-frame, was probably tripped when the battery was installed.

this happens when the wires are hooked up backwards.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
darlingtontrio wrote:
Well not to defend the one I bought mine from, but they did walk me through it. They showed me how to open the ends, how to work the basic essentials. I did get some knowledge from the guy who showed me what he did. I do have to learn how to light the pilot light and some of the other essentials. I am sure there is allot more he could have shown me. Allot of the basics I already knew. I grew up during the summer months traveling with my grandparents and helping them set up where I could. I can tell I am going to get allot out of this site.

Good to hear you did have a walk through. I realize it is difficult to remember all the stuff they show you. You are not the only one that forgets though. I drove my MH out of the lot and even though I had RVs for years there was a whole lot of new stuff I had never seen before. Like Oh, I have to have the engine off to raise the front shade. :B

Wizfisher
Explorer
Explorer
If you are plugged in to 110, the battery test button inside the camper will always read as full.
It most likely sat on the lot and the battery was run down in the first month.
Hopefully now that you had it plugged in for a week, the lights will work for you.
2012 Starcraft Travelstar 229TB

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The lights, water pump, and the fan should work on the battery as well as the fridge as long as you have propane for it. The microwave and AC are 110 only. Sometimes the GFI is popped on one if the outlets (if a 01 has such) which kills the rest of the outlets, but the lights should still work. Do check the breakers if you haven't.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and Congrats on the new camper. Next logical step if you feel the battery is fully charged, is to check the circuit breakers and fuses. I presume that they would be below the fridge. On my camper, I have a main switch to turn the lights on and an individual switch on each light. Check their position.
Good Luck.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

darlingtontrio
Explorer
Explorer
Well not to defend the one I bought mine from, but they did walk me through it. They showed me how to open the ends, how to work the basic essentials. I did get some knowledge from the guy who showed me what he did. I do have to learn how to light the pilot light and some of the other essentials. I am sure there is allot more he could have shown me. Allot of the basics I already knew. I grew up during the summer months traveling with my grandparents and helping them set up where I could. I can tell I am going to get allot out of this site.
2013 Ford F150 STX

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this so typical of Marcus and CW. I have bought a lot of RVs. Every dealer I have bought from walks you through the RV and will actually and show you how things work in the RV. CW world grabs your money and runs and doesn't really care about the customers that they sell to.

darlingtontrio
Explorer
Explorer
The battery is brand new. The date on it August 2013. I bough the camper from Camping World. When I plug in 110 volt, and test the battery button inside it shows the battery is fully charged.

We have had it plugged in sitting in our yard for about a week or so now, I guess I need to test everything now. Thanks.
2013 Ford F150 STX