cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer Trucks with worse suspension for hauling truck camper?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe it's an incorrect observation, but it seems RAM owners are more unhappy with their trucks hauling TCs than any other brand. I'm puzzled by this, but maybe it's just a small sample or a vocal minority.

Answer this survey, of the trucks you had, what brand was it and how happy were you with it hauling your TC. I'll go first.

'06 Ford F350 4x4 SRW SC 6.0 (fine for a SRW with minor mods)
'10 Ford F450 4x4 DRW CC 6.4 (seems fine to me with minor mods)

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
31 REPLIES 31

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
Very happy with our 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW and 5,000 lb. AF996. Sig line has modifications, with the Big Wig rear swaybar giving me the best improvement in handling which is sort of like a top heavy Ferrari!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jimh425 wrote:
Only those not paying attention to the forum content over the past few weeks think this thread is about trolling. Almost all of the posts have been on topic.

Good point, more on topic than most! And I was just giving you a hard time on the trolling thing.
I don't think the recent posts are any different than in the past. A lot of it is people's expectations of how something is going to work and those that don't already know somewhat, what to expect are not ready for the significant differences in handling when over 2 tons is placed up above the bed rails.

Another good point, have only heard 1 or 2 reviews about the 1 ton Ram air assist and I recall them being positive. Not sure anyone has posted a 3/4 ton air ride report with a camper.
Another site, a guy who hot shots rv trailers for a living (not TCs) with a 2500 air ride has reported that the air ride works as designed right up to about 4000lbs then it's done.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
''05 Chevy SRW 3500 hauling a 4K+ lb camper did great completely stock. Switched to Rancho 9000's because of the rave reviews. They cut down on some bouncing over severe dips but nothing earth shattering or noticeable most of the time.

Now for a story. A couple months ago I ended up following a truck hauling a 9.5' Citiation TC likely about as heavy as mine. This was on a 2-lane from the coast. As he bounced and wallowed I kept bracing myself for the bad spots in the road, only to feel little to no movement. After a few miles and many places where he wobbled side to side, he pulled over and I rolled on by. I was stunned to see a nearly new dually Ram underneath. I assume he had airbags pumped way too high or something but it was definitely a handling mess compared to my old SRW. My buddy following with the same camper as me on a 2000 SRW 2500 Ram noticed the same thing (he had no issues either).

EDIT to clarify my buddy's Ram handled his camper fine.

I wonder if that wallowing Ram had the factory auto level air suspension? For those that have it, I'm wondering how you feel about it?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only those not paying attention to the forum content over the past few weeks think this thread is about trolling. Almost all of the posts have been on topic.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Maybe my Dodge does ok because it's not a new one.., in Jefes words, "it'll still run on Mexican diesel!"

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure you are correct jefe 4x4. Most threads of this type do. I am pleasantly surprised is has been okay so far.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I drive old stuff. So old that it will still operate on Mexican diesel fuel. After a lot of suspension tuning it rides fine. But, i'm an old suspension tuner whose "expert" time has come and gone.
I'm not afraid to take it off road into some unique locales, since there is nothing left to beat up with a 19 year old camper.
I think this thread is moving ever so slightly to a bad end. I hope not since there is nothing like 1st hand owner reports of hands on experience.
Today I Geocelled the top and sides of the camper since we finally got some warm weather here on the West Slope.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
''05 Chevy SRW 3500 hauling a 4K+ lb camper did great completely stock. Switched to Rancho 9000's because of the rave reviews. They cut down on some bouncing over severe dips but nothing earth shattering or noticeable most of the time.

Now for a story. A couple months ago I ended up following a truck hauling a 9.5' Citiation TC likely about as heavy as mine. This was on a 2-lane from the coast. As he bounced and wallowed I kept bracing myself for the bad spots in the road, only to feel little to no movement. After a few miles and many places where he wobbled side to side, he pulled over and I rolled on by. I was stunned to see a nearly new dually Ram underneath. I assume he had airbags pumped way too high or something but it was definitely a handling mess compared to my old SRW. My buddy following with the same camper as me on a 2000 SRW 2500 Ram noticed the same thing (he had no issues either).

EDIT to clarify my buddy's Ram handled his camper fine.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect those unhappy campers most likely overloaded their rigs..

Im very happy w my 08 half ton Silverado since my TC weighs something like 1500 lbs with everything I own..
stil get 24mpg at 120 klicks motor turns only 1600 rpm..

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2500HD Chevy crew cab LB 4X4 Duramax truck handles our 11'4" floor very heavy Lance truck camper that's loaded with everything that Lance offered including the 3400 watt PP generator excellently and always has for over 110,000 miles now with the Lance being on the truck. The truck has been bullet proof.

The other miles put on the truck are with our 12,800 lb scaled weight Carriage 5th wheel being hauled behind plus the two 20" X 42" X 22" high storage boxes full of stuff in the truck bed ahead of the hitch as the truck has only been used for RV'ing since new as that is what it was bought for. Only up grades ever done to the truck were the 245 tires were replaced with Michelin 265's, Air Lift airbags added, and 4 Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks put on.

More than just happy with our Chevy truck as we are delighted+ and is why we keep it! Still looks new inside and out and not one bit of rust even on the frame and we live in Michigan. Yes, I had the truck undercoated the day after we picked up the ordered truck.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Bedlam
My Ford F-250 required suspension and wheel upgrades to carry 2 tons while towing 4 tons. My Ram 5500 has required no upgrades to carry 3 tons while towing 4 tons. The trucks are 10 years apart in model age and separated by three weight classes, so none of what I wrote can really be compared between these vehicles.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
2015 RAM 3500 Cummins SRW MegaCab 4x4 Laramie Longhorn with absolutely NO mods. Carries and tows fantastic (both at the same time). SAE J2807 Compliant payload 4270# and 16,800# towing. I've got NO issues and haven't heard of any issues.

Oh - let me do as the OP asked;

1994 Dodge 2500HD SRW Long Bed - no mods worked fine
2006 Dodge RAM 2500HD SRW MegaCab SB CTD - air bags, stable loads, Hellwig big wig - a little bouncy
2015 RAM 3500 SRW MegaCab SB CTD - no mods - perfect.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I may be one that this is directed at, having just ran that thread on rancho shocks.

I took the camper out and drove it again with stock shocks on and decided "this 14,000 lb rig rides just fine". I realized I was caught up in thinking of/ making modifications I read everyone else doing. I put the refund from Rancho back in the bank until the factory shocks go bad.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Haha, yeah it works. Little small for the big heavy camper but not the trucks fault.
Have a good weekend!

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy with my RAM. I did the following upgrades: airbags, anti-sway bar, rancho 9000 shocks, 19.5 rims and tires. The truck is super solid. When climbing in the back or walking in it, there is hardly any movement whatsoever. I likely should have purchased a 3500 DRW, but when I got my truck new, they had a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, only with the Hemi option. At the time, I could not order a SRW in a 3500 with a Hemi. I did not want a DRW.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo