cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nissan Pathfinder, Pathetic suspension shown again

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Was at the Trailmanor website and see my old 2005 Pathfinder riding another wheely while trying to pull a heavier folding trailer.

What's funny is that Pathfinder had a 3500 lbs rear axle rating which meant little as far as suspension strength. Yes, it'll handle the weight but the suspension is so weak, the handling was******with the Starcraft. Upgraded to my previous Sport Trac and what a world of difference.

Neither camper had a WDH so with that WDH maybe the Nissan would fair better but how pathetic. My Pop Up only had a 300 lbs tongue weight. That Pathfinder is sure one vehicle I don't miss.

Trailmanors website pic

My Pathfinder and Starcraft 2406

I posted this because I couldn't believe another Pathfinder just like mine, riding yet another wheely.

Just shows having enough power and tow rating, and even payload, don't make up for a lousy suspension.

The greatest thing about this Pathfinder is that the manual states that I can have a trailer with a 600 lbs tongue weight and still only use a weight "bearing" hitch! It surely would be riding on the bumper as my 300 lbs Starcraft tongue weight made it hit the bump stops on every dip.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
15 REPLIES 15

DaveInPickering
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Nissan Xterra (which also has a soft rear suspension) towing a Rockwood A122 AFrame. I added the Timbren SES bump stops and the problem was solved.

The Timbren system does not effect the standard (non towing) ride in any way.

You can add them yourself in about 20 - 30 minutes.
2014 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 4X4 Tow Vehicle

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
If vehicle's factory rear suspension is soft and the attached trailer cannot accept WD System, then install Timbren SES or Air Bags within Vehicle's rear. If wondering, my previous Tow Vehicle (leaf springs) has Timbrens. My new Tow Vehicle (coil springs) has Timbrens as well. After installed and adjusted, Timbrens (or air bag systems) work great. Especially for vehicles with factory soft rear suspensions... Problem solved...

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my HW256 with a trailblazer and WDH and it worked ok. I also noticed a bit of a sag. When we purchased the HW296 we decided to upgrade to a stronger chassis. We bought a Tahoe. this seems much stiffer and up for the job.

Vin.
Happy in the woods.

langenc
Explorer
Explorer
Passed a fellow w/ a vehicle like that last eve. I thought he had his high beams on. I don't understand how drivers can throw a trailer on a vehicle without some extra support.. If you must get your headlights adjusted.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
My F150 has a progressive spring rate but the truck has a rake to compensate for it.

My Sport Trac was completely level with a great ride and a good ride when towing.

Coil spring with no squat here!

I think that the rear sag with soft suspension is just a cheap and easy way to get a good ride but giving up any work functionality of the truck/SUV. Cheap and designed poorly IMO considering how great the Sport Trac did with "coil springs" ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
A lot of the newer SUVs and even pickups will squat a bit with very little load on or in them. This is due to multi-stage springs that are being used these days. These springs are designed to offer a nicer ride when empty. Once you put a bit of a load on it, it squats down to the next stage that is designed to support more weight. Don't be put off by a little bit of squat, it's usually the suspension doing its job. Ever ride in an older, empty 3/4 ton truck? Not fun.

Bounce around in my k2500 sub. NO DVD player is safe.

๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the newer SUVs and even pickups will squat a bit with very little load on or in them. This is due to multi-stage springs that are being used these days. These springs are designed to offer a nicer ride when empty. Once you put a bit of a load on it, it squats down to the next stage that is designed to support more weight. Don't be put off by a little bit of squat, it's usually the suspension doing its job. Ever ride in an older, empty 3/4 ton truck? Not fun.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Rear end jacked way up with a wdh first tow home from dealer, htt was inch or so too nose high.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Another one of the glorious saggers. 6100lb tow rating/soccer mom suspension.
Big 12ft pup, with front storage, and heavy hitch weight (400lbs)

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
My Toyota 4Runner is no better with a 7,000 pound tow capacity. Even loading up presents and luggage for Christmas this year makes it sag, much less actually towing anything. I definitely think of it as the Sag Wagon.

I did the same at Brad T and installed the rear coil air bags. They worked great for a while and actually gave the rear a lift of about 2" when not towing. Unfortunately, a leak has developed somewhere and I haven't had time nor inclination to track it down yet.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Brad_T
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan, love the Rockwood aframe. Had a small problem with the roof panel sagging. It never leaked but could have if it got worse. Rockwood replaced it under warranty. This is my 3rd Rockwood RV, this is the only problem I have had with any of them.
Brad T.
2014 Rockwood A122S
2014 Tacoma

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Brad
How has your Aframe been? Wondering if you have had any leaks or warranty issues? I don't own one but was looking and wondering about Rockwood quality control. Thanks in advance.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Was at the Trailmanor website and see my old 2005 Pathfinder riding another wheely while trying to pull a heavier folding trailer.

What's funny is that Pathfinder had a 3500 lbs rear axle rating which meant little as far as suspension strength. Yes, it'll handle the weight but the suspension is so weak, the handling was******with the Starcraft. Upgraded to my previous Sport Trac and what a world of difference.

Neither camper had a WDH so with that WDH maybe the Nissan would fair better but how pathetic. My Pop Up only had a 300 lbs tongue weight. That Pathfinder is sure one vehicle I don't miss.

Trailmanors website pic

My Pathfinder and Starcraft 2406

I posted this because I couldn't believe another Pathfinder just like mine, riding yet another wheely.

Just shows having enough power and tow rating, and even payload, don't make up for a lousy suspension.

The greatest thing about this Pathfinder is that the manual states that I can have a trailer with a 600 lbs tongue weight and still only use a weight "bearing" hitch! It surely would be riding on the bumper as my 300 lbs Starcraft tongue weight made it hit the bump stops on every dip.

We Unfortuntely have got the US Model, the old Pathfinder we had was fairly stout. Nissan has A BOF replacement , that you will not see in the US
Nissan's new Pathfinder Hybrid is not a replacement for the previous diesel model. That was a bit of a stump jumping, rock hopping, mudplugger. An old-school fourbie.

The new Pathy Hybrid is more your sophisticated luxury SUV family cruiser complete with a passenger-car style chassis and features. Oh, and Nissan would like to think an environmental conscience.

It can possibly go a tad off road (gravel/snow) but the thing is this big bus won't dent your finances too much when you have to fuel it up.

Brad_T
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Tacoma 6cy. tow package. It did the same thing. Ended up installing Firestone Riderite Air bags. Made all the difference.
Brad T.
2014 Rockwood A122S
2014 Tacoma