cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No DEF for 2020 Emissions??

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone else heard any rumblings on DEF being eliminated for 2020 emissions? I've heard it from 2 different people, but have NOT seen a thing in any semi web site or on a trucking radio show.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
26 REPLIES 26

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
kw/00 wrote:
Well if they move the emissions down stream out of the engine bay, that may provide an easier way of removing them for those that tune and delete?

No one can really say until we see how the system is implemented. Having said that deleting today's trucks is not really to difficult for most people.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
They are eliminating the EGR valve on the Cummins engines in 2019 model year. All emmisions will be downstream in the exhaust, and DEF is going to be part of it.

This is true, I spoke to a Lady at the Cummins Columbus, IN CMEP plant last Summer when taking the Plant Tour. She said she was working on the 19 engine and it will still be the 6.7. She had the "Cat Ate The Bird" look on her face when discussing it. Reports are the HP will increase 10 percent and TQ 20 percent. If so the competition will be left in the dust.

Cummins is using this technology on other engines.

Like when GM and Ford implemented DEF in their trucks and left cummins in the dust! :W

How will the competition be left in the dust if this women was unveiling cummins future hp and torque ratings?

Just add the percentages I mentioned to current numbers and they will be astounding. Also the fuel economy will be even better!

Let's mention fact, the Cummins did NOT need the DEF system. This engines are still desirable to some.

Fact is those trucks caused a many to deal with many trips to the shop for soot clogged EGRs, turbo's and DPF's and those trips to the shop to only clean out the system, update the flash, tell the owner to run their truck with the exhaust break on and run a fuel additive, and send them down the road. Only to be back in the future with the same story this is all we can do. All the above because cummins decided not to implement DEF which later the competition forced cummins to change on their 2500 and 3500 trucks.

Fact is having to service the EGR system every 65k miles and poorer fuel economy doesn't sound desirable to me. Unless.... you're a fan boy.

BTW... How do you know the competition is quietly preparing to up the bar in 2019?

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well if they move the emissions down stream out of the engine bay, that may provide an easier way of removing them for those that tune and delete?
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
They are eliminating the EGR valve on the Cummins engines in 2019 model year. All emmisions will be downstream in the exhaust, and DEF is going to be part of it.

This is true, I spoke to a Lady at the Cummins Columbus, IN CMEP plant last Summer when taking the Plant Tour. She said she was working on the 19 engine and it will still be the 6.7. She had the "Cat Ate The Bird" look on her face when discussing it. Reports are the HP will increase 10 percent and TQ 20 percent. If so the competition will be left in the dust.

Like when GM and Ford implemented DEF in their trucks and left cummins in the dust! :W

How will the competition be left in the dust if this women was unveiling cummins future hp and torque ratings?

Just add the percentages I mentioned to current numbers and they will be astounding. Also the fuel economy will be even better!

Let's mention fact, the Cummins did NOT need the DEF system. This engines are still desirable to some.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Are downstream emissions likely to be simpler and less troublesome than current emissions systems?

After working on EGR on a diesel; IMHO yes.

EGR is a bad idea when it comes to a diesel engine. Does it work? Well, sort of.........until it causes other problems.........which it will.

The problem is all of these systems are VERY expensive. Very soon a 100K pickup will be the order of business. My LBZ might be the last pickup I ever own if that's the case.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Are downstream emissions likely to be simpler and less troublesome than current emissions systems?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely the same people that said in 2014 Ford was for sure coming out with a V8 Eboost. :R

Like eHoefler said; downstream is the trend and DEF is part of downstream.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I know that they are experimenting with other ways to package DEF, namely cartridges where DEF is served up in another medium that is dry, no liquid. It just has a heater element for cold operation and once up to temp, natural exhaust temps causes the cartridge to naturally release the ammonia. It has promise, and gets rid of the crystallizing issue.

SAE Article
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I have not heard that, unfortunately strict emissions on diesels will continue. The next generation of fire trucks being spec out for next year shows the same def systems. I don't see the gov stepping away from this, and the company's that make def won't give up either since it's a money maker.....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.