cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fridge with slideout in

badger6724
Explorer
Explorer
I can't get my fridge to work with the slideouts in. It works fine with the slideout out but as soon as you start sliding it in, after the first few inches the burner goes out and fridge stops working. The pilot stays on and there is no fault on the front panel. Move the slideout back out and when it gets to the final few inches the burner fires back up again. I thought maybe a pinched line at first but then there would be a "no gas" fault on the fridge and the pilot would be out. Also the stove won't work with it in either although that is not really an issue it's an interesting point. Now I know that a lot of people think one should not be travelling with the gas on anyway but when I was travelling across the southern states last year, 80+ degrees 10hrs a day for 3 days, my food was starting to spoil. I was also thinking it might be a safety mechanism. Last year was the first time I drove in high heat for several days and just may not have noticed it before. I have poured over my documentation and don't see anywhere about it being a safety mechanism. If I can't get this figured out I might have to travel with a cooler for hot long stretches. Any thoughts?
2016 Artic Fox 28f conventional tow
2011 3500 GMC Ext. Cab long box Diesel
12 REPLIES 12

badger6724
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the hose out sounds like good advice. In the RV shop now being done. Thanks. As for using a reinforced style, it has some serious bending to do and I am not sure a reinforced hose would work. The old one was too long for the job which was why it kinked. I mentioned this to my dealer and I trust them to do a good job.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
badger6724 wrote:
Thanks Guys. It was indeed a pinched hose in that area. Unfortunately it caused a kink that would just reoccur after I altered the route. So I straightened the kink, wrapped a piece of crush resistant garden hose around it and then wrapped it in electrical tape. Now no more kink and I have gas flowing with the slide out in or out.:B

My thought would be that a propane hose pinched that hard should be replaced.

Since it's an RV it probably isnt the highest quality either. Find a propane dealer that makes hoses and see what they have in reinforced style hoses. It may cost more but will be more of an industrial design such as is used on mobile equipment.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
badger6724 wrote:
Thanks Guys. It was indeed a pinched hose in that area. Unfortunately it caused a kink that would just reoccur after I altered the route. So I straightened the kink, wrapped a piece of crush resistant garden hose around it and then wrapped it in electrical tape. Now no more kink and I have gas flowing with the slide out in or out.:B

My thought also.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
badger6724 wrote:

badger6724
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Burner goes out.....pilot stays on??????????

WHAT pilot????

Issue is definitely propane line kinking.

I thought the same thing. What pilot? As it's electric start right? But there was a small single blue flame burning when the line was kinked so made me think it had a pilot.

badger6724
Explorer
Explorer

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that sounds like a scary design flaw by the manufacturer. How many slideout cycles would it take to crack the hose and start a fire.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Burner goes out.....pilot stays on??????????

WHAT pilot????

Issue is definitely propane line kinking.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree it's a pinched hose that is only feeding minimal gas to the appliances. I would do as Hooterville did and see if that works.

If it does, you might send a friendly note to your dealer and let them know it's an easily fixed problem with that trailer - maybbe they'll check the line before selling others.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The telling think is the stove does not work either, so the problem is certainly a resrticted gas flow caused by a kinked supply hose.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. As you say, the pilot doesn't stop so the control card has to be getting 12 volts. It has to be getting enough gas to run the pilot but maybe it kinked enough that it cant supply the higher volume needed. Can you watch under the slide to see where the hoses fold and perhaps move the hose enough that the bends are not sharp and see if the frig and stove are then ok. Light a burner and watch it as you bring the slide in and see right where the flame dies then check the hose for kinks and remove them by tying them temporarily and try to relight.

When we had a propane fridge we never shut it off.

Hooterville
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same trailer as you and have had simular problems. With the slide partially out shine a light and look between the floor and the under the slide by the the entrance door. You will see the flexible propane supply hose was routed in a manner that allowed it to be pinched and shut off gas flow to both the fridge and the stove,

To solve the problem I pushed the hose in so it loops towards the back of the slide unit which seems to have solved the pinching problem. No issues since.