Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No grey tank?

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
1983 Man-O-War 15' Travel Trailer

My kitchen sink and shower appear to bypass a tank and they pipe in right before the sewage drain.

Is the correct/legal? I suppose, if the exit is plugged, it will backup into the black tank.

It's had some work done, so I'm not sure if it ever had one or if this is a home plumbing job. All the plumbing hangs pretty low to the ground, I'm scared I'm going to bust it on a speed bump.
27 REPLIES 27

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Nope
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Midnightpumpkin
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Thats how it used to be done. Get yourself a blue tote tank to handle gray water. My 73 Terry was the same way. Can no longer dump on the ground so you do need a solution.

Anyone ever hear of a "Michigan Bucket"???

John U
Midnight pumpkin

2014 Silverado 2500 Crew cab, regular bed, 4:10 gears, 6 spd, 6.0L Gas
Integrated Brake Controler
Reese Dual Cam HP

2007 Rockwood 8315SS Travel Trailer
Loaded Weights:
Trailer Axles 6640#, Hitch Wt 920#
Combined Gross Wt, no passengers, 13,855#

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
kearlms wrote:
There isn't a valve here for the grey water neither is there a tank. I would add one somewhere close to that last elbow. I would definitely not want to be draining the black tank and fill that p-trap with that stuff. For safety and health concerns I would add one.

Perfect, thanks! I think I finally have a handle on what I'm looking at.

And for my next act I'll be lighting myself on fire! (i.e. asking some electrical questions after I've dug around and looked at the wiring)

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't a valve here for the grey water neither is there a tank. I would add one somewhere close to that last elbow. I would definitely not want to be draining the black tank and fill that p-trap with that stuff. For safety and health concerns I would add one.

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I just need to look harder, but I don't see a grey valve. Black valve not pictured, it's to the right of the exit pipe. You can see the kitchen sink, shower and bathroom sink all feeding in (but not into a grey tank) from this pic. The black tank sits directly under the toilet I guess.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1971 Roadrunner that is setup like yours. We have a valve also on the grey side so we can back flush it if we want to. You would be best to do this anyhow. When you open your black tank to drain it there is nothing to keep it from going partially up your grey lines.

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
Also, since I don't have a grey tank, could I use this septic cleaning valve?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Flush-Holding-Rinser/dp/B000BUQOAE/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It seems to me it would just flood my sinks and bathroom with backwash.

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
johnnylawless wrote:
Quick question, is the blue holding tank specifically for use with grey water? Is this because some places sewage might not be available, but the grey water fills up faster than black water, so you need to dump more often?

The OP doesn't have a gray tank but the blue tote can be used to transport black or gray waste.

Ok perfect thanks!

Would you ever open your black water valve, unless you were draining/cleaning?

If I left my black water valve open, would the blackwater backwash into my system (since I have no grey tank)?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
johnnylawless wrote:
Quick question, is the blue holding tank specifically for use with grey water? Is this because some places sewage might not be available, but the grey water fills up faster than black water, so you need to dump more often?

The OP doesn't have a gray tank but the blue tote can be used to transport black or gray waste.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I went home and checked. I didn't realize there was a valve for the black tank. The grey water does pour right out while the black valve is closed.

The unfortunate thing is I thought my black tank was empty. It is not.........

Thank you all for your help.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said, not unusual for older trailer to not have gray tanks.

Gray water discharge is handle by a bucket, tote, or a hose into the bushes.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
johnny run water down your sink and see where it goes that will clear up what is happening

That's too easy, stop making sense! Just kidding, I'll do that when I get home.

Sorry all, I'm a total newb haha.

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Many '70's trailers had a single tank for waste water. My drain pipe cap has a 3/4" hose fitting for draining grey water into a tote or on the ground (whichever is appropriate).

Ok! That's it, mine has the same 3/4" fitting on the "black" sewage drain pipe.

Is it somehow angled so that only grey water flows out of the smaller exit?