cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no WT police needed !

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
This showed up at the Northeast truck camping jamboree in New Hampshire last weekend !!

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011
37 REPLIES 37

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the article the guy says - correctly- that it would be awful tall if he mounted the camper above the cab.
If you already have the camper, and you already have a retired 379 sitting in your back yard, and you donโ€™t want to buy an expensive new truck, this made plenty of sense.
I personally LOVE the way a 379 cruises.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lol, some of you folks are simply amazing....
I know most folks on here are old(er). But Didn't your mama ever say something like "better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?"
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The deal with such project is that they already had the truck, they have friend who did the paint job for low cost and being retired- they could afford to pay themselves 10 cents/hr.
Over a decade ago I was considering converting one of city buses into luxury motorhome. You can buy city bus for like $4000, but it will have low gearing.
Interstate cruisers are much better start. But doing the search, I found several such projects, where somebody sink 2-3 years of work into - available for sale for $5-6.000.
Lot of people start such project only to find it overwhelming and tired by wife constant whining about the monster sitting on the yard- they sell "90% finish" project well below the money they sink in it.
Sure the owners of big rig can't turn it, or park the it where I can my F350, but then no worry about carrying extra water, or extra set of undies.

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
Impressive to say the least that someone went through the effort to build this. I think it would have looked better had the camper been placed above the cab just like it would on a pickup. Aesthetically it just looks a bit unbalanced having it hanging so far back like it does. Of course doing that would have eliminated the extra compartment for whatever toys they may be hauling. Getting that through most campgrounds would be a huge pain if the turning radius is as bad as some say.

I'm kind of torn with it. If this was a low cost build I suppose it could be worth it but if he spent any significant amount of money on it I don't know if it would be worth the expense. If a lot of money was to be spent on something like this, I think I would have built a custom shell and built out the enterior to my spec. A lot more complicated but the lines could be designed to make it look right. Heck, maybe just starting with one of those FEDEX custom rigs for special shipments.

At any rate, if they guy is happy and proud with it, good for him. Always great to see people take something they are passionette about to the next level!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I think it looks just as good or better than a camper strapped on the back of any other truck, pickup or whatever.
Go read the article, link to it is in earlier post. Youโ€™re out of line, bordering on ignorant calling it a โ€œhack jobโ€, itโ€™s a very nicely built rig.

That truck can go 20,000 pounds on its rear axle, with those tires, in the U.S. Heโ€™s in Canada where itโ€™s legal to go even more. The truck and those tires are easily capable of it safely. He has NO gvw issues.

Why the sleeper? It makes the truck cab a lot roomier. You can seat more than two people, you have room for stuff, and itโ€™s an extra bed if needed or wanted.

its a true truck camper /very versatile /changeable set up that no other RV type can match!!!
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it looks just as good or better than a camper strapped on the back of any other truck, pickup or whatever.
Go read the article, link to it is in earlier post. Youโ€™re out of line, bordering on ignorant calling it a โ€œhack jobโ€, itโ€™s a very nicely built rig.

That truck can go 20,000 pounds on its rear axle, with those tires, in the U.S. Heโ€™s in Canada where itโ€™s legal to go even more. The truck and those tires are easily capable of it safely. He has NO gvw issues.

Why the sleeper? It makes the truck cab a lot roomier. You can seat more than two people, you have room for stuff, and itโ€™s an extra bed if needed or wanted.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Wikel,

Wow, go easy until you maybe know a little bit more about the build. If you click the link it does tell you in more detail about the specs. Unlike what you said, it is on a semi rear axle with class 8 super single semi tires.

Probably wrong on the POS pickup type gear you're thinking it had huh?

Edit

Now my post doesn't make as much sense since you edited yours and took out some of the wording. All good. Hopefully the owner of this build is happy!

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Quote mistake.

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Aren't semi's axle rated in the range of 20,000lb ?
Sure no problem with 6000 lb camper.
Aesthetic with camper have been mentioned before - in stable loads topic for example.
You want aesthetic in RV - you buy DP with zebra paint scheme on it.
I still think the above set is prettier than some new cars you seen on the roads.
Or famous Pontiac Aztek for example.

Maybe I'm missing something because it's hard to tell from the picture. Looks like it sitting on a hacked off truck rear bed. Maybe it's just the shell of the bed vs. the frame, axle and original wheels/tires.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
With a complete camper behind, why the need for a sleeper?

Probably the easiest way to plug the hole in the back wall of the cab, plus the frame would need to be shortened without it.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a complete camper behind, why the need for a sleeper?

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aren't semi's axle rated in the range of 20,000lb ?
Sure no problem with 6000 lb camper.
Aesthetic with camper have been mentioned before - in stable loads topic for example.
You want aesthetic in RV - you buy DP with zebra paint scheme on it.
I still think the above set is prettier than some new cars you seen on the roads.
Or famous Pontiac Aztek for example.

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Have no idea what that camper weighs but it's on a truck rear body, frame, axle, tires and rims. Just because you have some semi truck pulling it doesn't mean that there is not a weight concern. Not enough information for sure and IMO it looks like a Frankenstein setup. Aesthetic = zero... looks like a hack job for sure.

I don't think you could say there is a power problem for sure but everything else, sheesh that looks pretty sketchy.

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Side Car, I used to run across them a lot up on US 6 in Indiana back in the day. There was a lumber Co out of Wooster, OH I believe it was, had a fleet of them all different colors but w/the same stripe scheme. That has got to be the ultimate hood IMHO. Plenty of room for just about whatever horse you wanted to hide under there!!
I toyed w/the idea of building a late model roll over into a road rig using a Big Horn cut-off but better sense got in the way!! Doing that, you could work it, not have to worry too much about the DOT and still get it serviced anywhere.
Would be a great setup for a hobby trucker.