cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North Star 650

Pelon11K
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. Have a northstar 650 that’s new to me, 2019 model. After taking it out a few times I have really been bothered by the lack of headroom while on the bed. Has anyone removed the storage area below the bed to gain more headroom??
4 REPLIES 4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely don't remove any of the structure that's IN the storage area. If you do there's nothing between you and the roof of your truck but the siding and a layer of particle board.

This may or may not be true on the Northstar, but on my Palomino the bed platform/lid for the storage compartment is quite a stout structure. It looks like it's designed to carry the weight of the people in the bed, and the structure under it is not.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am trying to recall the situation of the underbed storage on my previous NorthStar pop-ups... but I would look very closely before removing any components that make up the storage area under the mattress... that is, it might be part of the cross-structural wood that spans from side-to-side.

It could be possible that the storage area is a result of the "beams" that allow for an upper "flat surface" on which to place a mattress. The flat sheathing below alone may not have enough integrity to support any load should those cross member be deleted.

I am not saying that the proposed solution will not work, but after inspection reveals the possibility then it still might be prudent to call the Factory to get their take on the revision.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bedlam
If you remove the under bed storage, I suggest adding additional insulation or something like Hyper Vent between the mattress and base. You will have more temperature differentials without the storage and it may sweat.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2012, I took out a 9" mattress and put in a high density 6" foam mattress in our previous camper to give us enough head room. Liked it so well we moved it to our current camper when we purchased it. Worked great for us. Our camper didn't have under bed storage.
Joe & Evelyn