Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Lite campers No Black Tank Clean out

Spruce_Dually
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here.
I am very close to purchasing a new truck camper.
Wifey and I have narrowed it down to the Northern Lite 10-2 or the Bigfoot 25c10.6.
Mostly leaning toward the NL. However i have noticed that the NL does not have a black tank
clean out system where the Bigfoot does.
Keith at NL tells me that it is not necessary if you use the proper chemicals.
Any thoughts or experiences?

Thank You
41 REPLIES 41

Spruce_Dually
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
Spruce Dually wrote:
"As far as the system being a holding tank,that is correct but the chemicals that you add are for odor not for the decomposition of the effluent in the tank".

I use Thetford "AquaKem" in my holding tanks.

Thetford 10801 Aqua-KEM Original-Holding Tank Treatment-Deodorizer-Waste Digester-Detergent.

It helps break down waste AND make it smell better.

- Mark0.

Thank you Mark

Thetford , I'll have to look that up.

So, Break it down AND make it smell better.
Works on even the toughest of jobs.
That's some powerful stuff.
Might try it in the washing machine with a load of underwear. LOL

The ever growing list of stuff to take with you.
I think that I am going to need a cargo trailer.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Spruce Dually wrote:
"As far as the system being a holding tank,that is correct but the chemicals that you add are for odor not for the decomposition of the effluent in the tank".

I use Thetford "AquaKem" in my holding tanks.

Thetford 10801 Aqua-KEM Original-Holding Tank Treatment-Deodorizer-Waste Digester-Detergent.

It helps break down waste AND make it smell better.

- Mark0.

Spruce_Dually
Explorer
Explorer

Good to know. I haven't spent any time researching the chemicals. I had made the assumption (apparently the wrong assumption) that they were for decomp.

This all started after I read a post about someone using a wand to clean the black tank on a NL.
Until that time I had totally missed the fact that the NL did not have the black tank flush.
So, I cornered the owner of NL (keith Donkin) at an RV show and questioned him about it.
His reply was that because of the design of the camper a black tank flush was not needed.
The toilet is mounted directly over the tank at the rear of the camper and the clean-out is very close to the tank . He does actually use these campers.
So, I asked, if that is true, then why are NL owners packing toilet wands around with them.
These campers do not have an exorbitant amount of storage space. The lack of the flush system forces the owner to pack something that they would not need if the flush system were built into the camper.
He insisted that the wand was not necessary if the correct chemicals were used.
That is where i got it in my head that the chemicals were for decomp.

Jim

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
My 2nd camper was a Lance 835 and it didn't have one but I added one it helps the flushing of the tank. My current camper is a Bigfoot 10.4 and it came with a black tank flush. I have a set up at my house that allows me to dump from my driveway. Being that I don't have any time restraints and that I can work at my own pace I have noticed that my black tank gets much cleaner with the clean out system. You can tell if you have a clear fitting that you can monitor as you flush. So I would say they do work and work well. As far as the system being a holding tank,that is correct but the chemicals that you add are for odor not for the decomposition of the effluent in the tank.
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spruce Dually wrote:
. . . So far we are leaning toward the NL. I like to longer U-shaped dinette (actually long enough for an adult to lay down on), longer bed and from what we have seen at the RV shows, the cabinetry seems to be finished a bit better.
I like the idea of the tilt out windows but not to keen on them being plastic.

The Bigfootses gets the nod for better insulation, more counter space and Glass windows.
Although I believe that the sliding windows could be a pain in the rain.

Jim
You've obviously done your homework. Concur with all your observations. Back in Jan we were at the same crossroads as you: do we go NL or Big Foot. It was a tough call. Each person has to define their own set of pros and cons that works for them. We finally went with the NL. Don't think you can go wrong with either camper.

Spruce_Dually
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
With this, you can back flush any black or grey tank as good as a tank that stores poo needs to be back flushed.

:):)

Yeah, I have seen these and other similar items. Looks like a good idea. I can't really see any negatives other than it is something else to store. Along with a dedicated hose which I would need anyway.

Spruce_Dually
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the input. I do appreciate it. I got some good laughs out of it also.
Always in for a good laugh.
Apparently it is not that big of a deal so I will quit worrying about that.
So now I will have to find another excuse for not being able to make up my mind. 😄

We are about to retire and this will be our first RV.
So at this point I really don't know Jack.
I try to be informed and to apply some logic but my logic may be illogical.:)
Does that even make sense?

We have a new dually on order, should be in around mid August.
I'll have at least until then to make the decision.

So far we are leaning toward the NL. I like to longer U-shaped dinette (actually long enough for an adult to lay down on), longer bed and from what we have seen at the RV shows, the cabinetry seems to be finished a bit better.
I like the idea of the tilt out windows but not to keen on them being plastic.

The Bigfootses gets the nod for better insulation, Black Tank Flush (LOL), more counter space, sliding window for Pass-through truck access and Glass windows( Although I believe that the sliding windows could be a pain in the rain and snow).
I have also heard that Bigfoot is more likely to do things that are out of the norm.
I'm considering side awnings for both sides

Jim

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Black tank flush system is OVERRATED.

Don't make RVng complicated.

X2

Only recently have the RV manoufacturers offered a tank flush connection OEM, Prior to about 2010 or so if you wanted such a device you installed it yourself. The only thing I have found them good for is slowing the line down at dump stations.

X3. This would not be a factor for us if purchasing another camper.
BTW; The campers you are looking at are both top notch.

Good luck, Bill

I can dispute that. They all have problems. Northern lite owner since new in 03. Go for the thickest insulation to prevent condensation build up and delam. My big problems started during winter camp with adequate ventilation, It important to get more than 1" thick insulation.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tank does not need to be surgically clean , what difference could it make ! You ain't gonna eat lunch there . Empty , step back so some one can use it !

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
My TC don't have it and I've never seen the need. My commode is directly over the tank so I just 'flush' it through the knife valve in the crapper. No biggie.

X2

All the times that I dumped my black tank I pulled the valve and let it drain. When I had time/ desire I would fill up the black tank either with a hose or just with the pump through the toilet (long time)and it was clean.

A TCer is not like a trailer where the black tank is down a line then down another line to the valve.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TC don't have it and I've never seen the need. My commode is directly over the tank so I just 'flush' it through the knife valve in the crapper. No biggie.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Spruce Dually wrote:
Newbie here.
I am very close to purchasing a new truck camper.
Wifey and I have narrowed it down to the Northern Lite 10-2 or the Bigfoot 25c10.6.
Mostly leaning toward the NL. However i have noticed that the NL does not have a black tank
clean out system where the Bigfoot does.
Keith at NL tells me that it is not necessary if you use the proper chemicals.
Any thoughts or experiences?

Thank You

Just sold a 2002 Wildcat with no black wash. Just bought a 2011 Keystone with black wash. Won't bother using it.

I am in a permanent site and use a 42 gal tote.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
With this, you can back flush any black or grey tank as good as a tank that stores poo needs to be back flushed.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
It has never been a problem for us for the 10 years of owning our NL or the 30 yrs prior to that with other TC's. Get the TC that suits your needs.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Santi-Flush system is the best was to clean your black tank with out having to enter the camper. Dump then flush tanks until water runs clear. Doesn’t get easier or cleaner
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.