cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not a big enough trailer

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our dilemma, we bought a new 2009 31red heartland north trail a few years ago, with a loan. (So we still owe). We like most things about the trailer. But due to a slow leak the floor in the family living area became soft and will be getting replaced after the camping season is over. The floor plan use to be sufficient for my family, but it seems we always take extra kids and that makes it miserable for my husband and I come morning time. I just want to sit down and drink a cup of coffee, but there are literally bodies everywhere. Not to mention, the takedown and set up they have to do just to lay down.

We have a 19yo daughter, that goes with us when her work and school allow her time, and our 12 yo boy that would take his whole entourage if we allowed,lol. He usually has at least 1 friend, and our 2 nieces his age are usually along.

Trading up on a bunkhouse is not an option due to the damage. So we have tossed around the idea of taking the master bedroom and converting it to a bunk room. We are not afraid of diy, we have built houses, and extensive high end remodels. My question is for the "very knowledgeable on all things RV related forum members" are we crazy to think this is acceptable? And if it is acceptable, will moving the kids to the hitch end help to eliminate some of the added wiggle we experience at night during sleeping hours.

Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
49 REPLIES 49

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Pitching the kids in a tent will make them strong.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Anything is possible, and mods are "acceptable". Why wouldn't they be? It's your trailer. The only caveat might be when it comes time to sell or trade. The mod you are proposing may have a harder time attracting a buyer.

Shame about the tent idea really. It's the best way to go with teens and preteens. I never heard of kids that aren't "tent kids". Everyone I've know that has a trailer did this, including us. Our daughter is 30 and still loves tenting.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
Oh well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about the tents--both our son and daughter used the tents unless the weather was really bad. We got a 2 room tent-son in 1 and daughter in other. I think they got more of an experience camping using the tents and they had a lot of fun. My daughter is married now and she and her husband have a Coleman tent and go camping as time permits. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about a couple of two person tents for the kids? As our girls got to around 12 they no longer wanted to sleep with up so tents it was.