cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I'm Really Confused

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I went tonight to look at several brands we hadn't seen before, and drove a hour and half to do so, I have to say pictures can be deceiving, out of the 6 we thought we would really like only one really matched the pics, but in the process the sales guy said since we upgraded to 3/4 ton why aren't we looking at 5th wheels, I am a novice with this whole thing, what is the benefit of a 5th wheel over TT, and is it a better purchase?
33 REPLIES 33

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
summitpower wrote:
Well we bit the bullet and bought a Wildwood heritage Glenn 300bh, local dealer said one was available at factory and had upgraded to 2 ac units and had r38 insulation and was 2k under dealer that had hemisphere and they are same unit.

Congratulations! Get a old quality hitch and enjoy the TT!
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
summitpower wrote:
Well we bit the bullet and bought a Wildwood heritage Glenn 300bh, local dealer said one was available at factory and had upgraded to 2 ac units and had r38 insulation and was 2k under dealer that had hemisphere and they are same unit.

Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

What hitch system are you getting? I would highly suggest the Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system. They all are very good systems with integrated sway control. Make sure to get the correct rated wd bars for the trailer's tongue weight once it is loaded.

Chances are once you load the trailer up, you will need to readjust the hitch. The dealer only sets up the wdh for an empty trailer.

Post pics once you get it!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and I like the fiver but my wife likes a trailer due to the level floor and no stairs to get to the bedroom.
Guess which one we have? It not that big of a deal and our trailer is just fine (or that what she tells me ).
Really I think it is almost a toss up and a trailer is less money.
Flaguy
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Most 3/4 tons are overloaded with something like Montana's 3160 FW,one of there smallest with a dry pin weight of 2520 lbs.If everyone who was over the GVWR slightly had to give up there fifth wheel or pickup camper,the market would be flooded with used units.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to stick with TT...either a coachman freedom express le 320dbhs or a salem hemisphere 300bh

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We upgraded from a Popup to a TT a month ago. The thing that made us not really look at 5ers was that we normally take 4 bicycles, and 4 kayaks. With the TT I have the bikes in the bed of the truck, and the yaks on a ladder rack above them. I saw no way to carry all that with a 5er.

We went with a Blue Ox Sway Pro, and it pulls fine, no sway. From what I've read the hitch makes a huge difference. Thanks to all the info on these forums I think it helped me make the right choice on the hitch with out having to upgrade later.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
summitpower wrote:
We have finally narrowed to 2 units...

Don't keep us in suspense!!! Lol

TT or 5ver? Or one of each??? Lol

Don't be afraid to take the whole family and spend an hour or two inside each one to see which may be the better fit. If they are the same floor plan, do the same as you may notice some small things in one vs the other.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
We have finally narrowed to 2 units...

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb wrote:
I "upgraded" from a TT to a 5er because I needed more sleeping space. A few comments on things not yet mentioned:

- I found the TT easier to back than the 5er but I am getting better at it.
- My 31' 5er tows shorter than my 25' TT. To get the same interior space I would need one of the TTs that measure 35' OAL. The thought of towing one of those scares me.
- Everthing is heavier on a 5er so more expensive such as tires etc.
- There are more cubes in a 5er so the air conditioning is slower and not as effective.
- Storage on the 5er is larger and easier to access.
- You are way up there when doing roof maintenance on a 5er.
- To get a smooth ride with a 5er you may have spend a lot of money on a hitch, a whole lot.
- The high interiors of the 5er give the feeling of upscale spaciousness but the wife needs a stool to access some of the cabinets.
- If you want an outbuilding to store the 5er it is going to take a 14' high door which compromises a lot of designs.

Good luck deciding. Hope this helps.

Some very good points. I would offer up a comment on the 35 ft OAL concern. My Lacrosse 324RST is 36 ft long tip to tail, and it tows like a dream. Have no compunction or concern towing it with m 3/4 ton. Rock solid with the Blue Ox SwayPro 1500.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are getting something long and heavy a 5th wheel tows better.

It's true that while towing you have limited space in the bed of your truck. But, my bother has a 5th wheel with a "Goose Neck" hitch on it. Once unhooked from the trailer he just flips over the ball in the bed of his truck and is left with a flat pickup bed floor.

I love my little Travel Trailer but, if I wanted a lot of length and weight I would go to a 5th wheel. They tow a lot better.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I "upgraded" from a TT to a 5er because I needed more sleeping space. A few comments on things not yet mentioned:

- I found the TT easier to back than the 5er but I am getting better at it.
- My 31' 5er tows shorter than my 25' TT. To get the same interior space I would need one of the TTs that measure 35' OAL. The thought of towing one of those scares me.
- Everthing is heavier on a 5er so more expensive such as tires etc.
- There are more cubes in a 5er so the air conditioning is slower and not as effective.
- Storage on the 5er is larger and easier to access.
- You are way up there when doing roof maintenance on a 5er.
- To get a smooth ride with a 5er you may have spend a lot of money on a hitch, a whole lot.
- The high interiors of the 5er give the feeling of upscale spaciousness but the wife needs a stool to access some of the cabinets.
- If you want an outbuilding to store the 5er it is going to take a 14' high door which compromises a lot of designs.

Good luck deciding. Hope this helps.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We need a truck with a cap on, not one that we have to take off and put on eight times times a season.
We need lots of storage which means for us bunk beds that can have things piled on them.
We do not want to make the table and sofa into beds and take them down in the morning.
We do not need room for a large TV but we do need two TVs so we do not have to watch the same thing.
I do know how to use the microwave to bake in so a oven is not necessary.
I do not need a dishwasher. I have one, it is called a husband.
For us that means a TT with bunk beds.

Make you own list of must haves and don't needs.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT, not a 5th wheel, but one very attractive thing I've found about a 5th wheel is that most have a built in generator, which will allow you to run AC and other accessories while not hooked up. Granted one can always add a generator to a TT, but then you run into issues of where to store it, etc... I've also really liked the 5th wheels with the layout of the living room up the steps towards the front of the trailer with dual slides. It really makes you feel like you're in an actual home. If I were to go to more full time RVing, I'd definitely consider a pick up and 5th wheel. It's true though that you will spend a lot extra for a similarly featured/finished 5th wheel than you will a TT.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'