cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NOW what ?? SO confused!!

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
OK.. Hoping you can help... We are currently towing a T1950 Sunline with a chevy avalanche. In the market for new Tow Vehicle... We are almost ready to close the deal on a F150.

Now we are getting concerned that the new F150's are too light... can you please help

Have been told by dealers that the V6 is plenty. it can pull 10K pounds, but now researching and seems like the 2016's may be "too light". ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! We are thinking the V8 would be better ??

:?
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me
31 REPLIES 31

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
THANK YOU ALL SO very much for all the information !!!!!!

HAPPY Camping to ALL OF YOU .. you have given me great info ....

i think you need to research the differences between the Ecoboost v-6 and the normal v-6 F-150.
then you need to educate yourself, as to the different configurations they come in, especially for towing.

many buy a truck without doing it, only to find out their truck isn't capable of towing the trailer they want

key factors are PAYLOAD capacity first. then towing capacity.
HD factory tow packages are always a must option.

and as many others have said, think about future trailer choices. most start with a smaller trailer like yours, only to go bigger down the road and find their truck isn't equipped for anything bigger than their current small trailer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU ALL SO very much for all the information !!!!!!

HAPPY Camping to ALL OF YOU .. you have given me great info ....
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ram truck company use to make this really simple..they may still do...

If you are doing light duty hauling (utility trailer, boat, etc) the Ram 1500 is for you

If you are doing heavy duty hauling (RV, gooseneck) then the Ram 2500/3500 is for you

I loved those statements because they take a lot of the guess work out of it.

Now before anyone steps in with a BUT..I am fully aware and have towed a TT with a half ton. The experience was okay. But it's not an experience I would prefer to repeat.

I would love to have the MPG of an EcoDiesel and the capability of a 3/4 ton truck...but...for my future camping needs a HD truck is going to be required. Preferably a long bed SRW 3500 Ram or Chevy or F350.

I prefer gas motors but more importantly I need the Chassis to handle what I want as Ben says...when Mr Murphy crosses my path.

OP... A 3/4 ton truck is not required for your current rig...but it sure would make for an easy and more relaxing tow. Especially if you are planning an upgrade in the future.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
WoW... comments / suggestions so far have been great. KD4UPL- I was thinking the actual weight of truck, they are now made from Aluminun and they say they are "light". Fla-gypsy what do you mean properly equipped / poorly configured?

Depending on what payload you need (thin tongue weight of trailer and passengers/cargo)- a Max payload package may be needed

Depending on how much the truck will be used towing vs. daily driving a 3.5L V-6 EB (turbo powered)engine that can cross mountains easily under load may be needed vs. the 5.0L NA V-8

Regardless you need the max tow package including tow mirrors, Integrated brake controller, etc.

Failure to choose wisely among these critical factors can be the difference between a great tow vehicle or wishing you had never went there
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

therink
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
Before signing on the dotted line, make sure you check the yellow TREAD act Tire and loading sticker in the drivers door jam. This is the no BS number that states the maximum capacity of ALL occupants and cargo for that specific vehicle as it came off the assembly line with a full tank of gas. It is required by law to be within a few pounds if the actual vehicle was put on a scale.

My Expy EL is 1672lbs as it rolled off the assembly line. This number can vary dramatically depending on cab configuration and options. F150s can have anything from under 1000lbs to around 3000lbs (max payload option), most common is 1400-1800lbs. You want this number as high as possible because every body including the driver and every item of stuff is subtracted from this number before dropping a trailer on the hitch.

Also do not forget, every max towing number is based on a 10percent longue weight. So that 10,000 lb towing capacity means a boat with a 1,000lb tongue weight, NOT a 10,000lb TT with a 1500lb tongue weight which will exceed the hitch rating and probably payload rating and maybe rear axle rating.

As far as weight, even with the aluminum, these trucks are plenty heavy! Good luck with your search!!

This is about as accurate advice you will read on the forum. Do not listen to your sales person.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We've had an F150 with the EcoBoost and I now have a 2016 Explorer with it. I won't comment on the towing part, since it sounds like that's been covered. But for an "about town" ride, I don't think you can do better than the EcoBoost. I commute 50 miles round trip and I love love love driving my Explorer. I average 21.5 mpg. When the hubs had his F150, he would average 17mpg when not towing.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Towing/hauling is much more than the ability to get it going in xx seconds,
nor top speed...

Really boils down to it's ability to manhandle the situation during
the moment Mr Murphy crosses your path...

Either you have the right sized stuff or not, spot on, there will be
no time to go back to the store for better/bigger/etc...nor time to
re-setup

Most 'can' tow just about anything...even the lowest class TV 'can'
tow the curb Space Shuttle, but for how long can it do that...how would
it manhandle it during a Mr Murphy moment, etc

Example is sure it has enough HP to get it going quickly and to a high
top speed, but can it manhandle it during an emergency braking situation
or emergency swerve...

There is only one person responsible for the setup and that is the
driver. Makes no matter a thousand printouts of advisors saying "sure
you can" with you...

campkodiak23 wrote:
OK.. Hoping you can help... We are currently towing a T1950 Sunline with a chevy avalanche. In the market for new Tow Vehicle... We are almost ready to close the deal on a F150.

Now we are getting concerned that the new F150's are too light... can you please help

Have been told by dealers that the V6 is plenty. it can pull 10K pounds, but now researching and seems like the 2016's may be "too light". ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! We are thinking the V8 would be better ??

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:

Don't fret over it. The new F150s are certainly not to light for your Sunline T1950. We are town a lot heavier TT with our 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost and are happy with our combination. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy your Sunline for all its worth. They don't make them like that any more. Even our new 2016 Arctic Fox TT which just replaced our 2006 Sunline T2075 doesn't match the build quality of the Sunline. ๐Ÿ˜‰

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Before signing on the dotted line, make sure you check the yellow TREAD act Tire and loading sticker in the drivers door jam. This is the no BS number that states the maximum capacity of ALL occupants and cargo for that specific vehicle as it came off the assembly line with a full tank of gas. It is required by law to be within a few pounds if the actual vehicle was put on a scale.

My Expy EL is 1672lbs as it rolled off the assembly line. This number can vary dramatically depending on cab configuration and options. F150s can have anything from under 1000lbs to around 3000lbs (max payload option), most common is 1400-1800lbs. You want this number as high as possible because every body including the driver and every item of stuff is subtracted from this number before dropping a trailer on the hitch.

Also do not forget, every max towing number is based on a 10percent longue weight. So that 10,000 lb towing capacity means a boat with a 1,000lb tongue weight, NOT a 10,000lb TT with a 1500lb tongue weight which will exceed the hitch rating and probably payload rating and maybe rear axle rating.

As far as weight, even with the aluminum, these trucks are plenty heavy! Good luck with your search!!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
F150 w/ Tow Max pkg, V6 Eco-boost. Another thing to consider: cab size.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning ... No My trailer is a small Sunline 19foot that says the max GVWR is 5500 pounds. After reading all the above comments sounds like we are going to go forward.. Hmmm now V8 ? or v6eco boost.... We only camp about 5-6 times / year and weekends basically weekends... It will be mostly used for an around town type of truck... More comfortable to drive in the V8 ?? oh BOY... decisions ...

We will THEN Need to purchase a new Hitch...this new truck is MUCH higher than my avalanche.
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
just saw Ram is giving 14000 off msrp
I only got 11000 off, but still beat my neighbors price for his 1500
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
just saw Ram is giving 14000 off msrp
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
tomman58 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I see more new f150 pulling campers than the other brands.

I guess that depends where you are looking.
Myself traveling around the USA and spending months in rv parks don't think so.
Most everyone that really travels uses a 250 or 3/4 ton pick up as a minimum. Those of us that tow 30+ footers normally use a diesel.

I can say one thing about towing, weather, mountains, winds and other driver ...... you cannot have enough truck.

I likr to sit back in my 15" 2500 loaded Dmax and just enjoy the ride lmowing that I've got the truck that will work better, pull better, and ride better then most on the market and I really enjoy the ride.

To clarify I meant trucks in the .5 ton segment
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"