cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OBD Code P0671 - Duramax

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 with Duramax/Allison Combo. Have recently gotten an OBD Code P0671, which points to an issue with the glow plug circuit in cylinder 1. There are absolutely no symptoms of any problem, truck is running fine. It's only done it twice, when the truck has been sitting several days; doesn't do it when the truck is run regularly.

I know I need to have it checked, but I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and won't be able to address it until next week. How serious a problem could this potentially be? I've seen varying opinions on cause and potential issues.

Thanks for assistance.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
10 REPLIES 10

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
To hopefully save you guys all some aggravation......Don't use anything but an AC Delco 9G replacement. Thats the newest part number and all of the aftermarket replacements I've had any experience with have been sub par. How easy they come out depends on how rusty the truck is.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
A dead glow plugs will cause more frequent regens if you start it cold a lot. The cold cylinder will smoke a bit until it gets warm enough.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about a glow plug until it at least gets cold. Only then if the truck doesn't seem to start very well. You would probably never fix it with no ill effects.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, thanks for all the info, folks! I figured what you've said might be the case, based on what I read. Heading up into the Rawah Wilderness and NeverSummer Mountains, sure didn't want to get stranded up there!

Thanks again.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
If replacing yourself gently turn to loosen and make sure it is not seized, Breaking it off will be a huge problem, Replaced 3 on my 2006. One by dealer and two myself. Added a little never seize to the threads.
First one went out in Wyoming on a 5 week trip. Dealer said it was emission and I could drive without it. Another 3 weeks and 3,000 miles before I got back home and no issues

My pickup has 166k miles and mine came right out. Trick is to do it when the engine is warm. And just change it out when you change the fuel filter. Have to take the fender well off and it's right there. Easier than a spark plug.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
busterja21 wrote:
that code is the #1 (front passenger side) glow plug is bad. only symptoms are that it may start harder in cold weather, and your remote start wont work when the code is active. It's a 15 minute fix, and about 25 for the new glow plug.

X2 This time of year you will be fine without any glow plugs. The number 1 plug is one of the easiest to get to and there are youtube videos on changing it.

You will be fine driving on your trip with one plug not working.
Turret Class traveler

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
If replacing yourself gently turn to loosen and make sure it is not seized, Breaking it off will be a huge problem, Replaced 3 on my 2006. One by dealer and two myself. Added a little never seize to the threads.
First one went out in Wyoming on a 5 week trip. Dealer said it was emission and I could drive without it. Another 3 weeks and 3,000 miles before I got back home and no issues
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
that code is the #1 (front passenger side) glow plug is bad. only symptoms are that it may start harder in cold weather, and your remote start wont work when the code is active. It's a 15 minute fix, and about 25 for the new glow plug.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace glowplug #6 in my 07. It would trip a check engine light which was cleared for 2 years with my tuner before I took it in as I donโ€™t drive it much. No symptoms as the other 7 took up the slack. They are easy to replace but I was nervous cause of the age of truck. Cost around 180 to change out glowplug and an hour at the dealer if thatโ€™s the issue.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a glow plug burnt out for well over a year. I just need time to replace it. My truck starts fine even in the winter with 1 glow plug burnt out. It's a pretty quick fix. I don't know how easy #1 is to get to though.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln