cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odor outside

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Every time we flush our toilet we get a smell of sewer gas outside and I cant figure out why. The tank has been emptied a few times already this season and has a black water tank flush system. Just started to notice this recently. The trailer is in a park for the summer that we have been at for over ten years and we never had this odor from our old trailer.
Any input would be great

Thanks
Joe

PS our new trailer is a 2012 crossroads slingshot.....
6 REPLIES 6

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
WOW Thanks all for the quick replies.I guess I will be cleaning again this weekend ..... 🙂

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
If the odor is outside after flushing, I wouldn’t be concerned with the vent… the vent is doing what vents do…

The contents and the tank never smell like lilacs and roses no matter how many chemicals you use… most of them smell bad to…

Maybe a change in the diet to make you gas lighter than the air… :B

With the exception of extreme heat a tank that's well maintained should not have an odor. Last year in Hilton Head Island at 98 degrees I had a bad odor, after a good rinsing & a double hit of chemicals problem solved. Not lilacs & roses, but no odor.
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
If the odor is outside after flushing, I wouldn’t be concerned with the vent… the vent is doing what vents do…

The contents and the tank never smell like lilacs and roses no matter how many chemicals you use… most of them smell bad to…

Maybe a change in the diet to make you gas lighter than the air… :B
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
If your toilet is flushing properly and not "glub glubing" then most likely your air vent is NOT plugged although that could be the source of your odor. I would thoroughly flush & clean rinse the black tank using as much water pressure as possible. Keep flushing until the water comes out clear. Close your valve add about 10 gallons of water & triple dose with toilet chemical. Unfortunately the trailer being stationary won't allow much movement of the water in the tank, but the fumes from the chemical should work their magic. Let it sit for a few hours & begin flushing to check if the odor still exists. If not your tank just needed a good cleaning, if you now smell the chemicals I would think that the air vent is the culprit. Also put chemical in the gray tank as they have a tendency to create a sewer smell. I hope that helps!
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Add deoderizing chemicals to get rid of the smell. Fill the tank half full for a day or two. Then fill full and dump. Add another dash of chemicals and a couple of gallons of water and the smell will be gone.

I always add chemicals and a few gallons of water to the tank before storing the RV.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Every time you flush the contents rush into the tank pushing the gas in the tank out the vent pipe… happens on every trailer…
You smell it because the air currents are moving the odor in your direction instead of up and diluting itself…

Setting in one spot for a long time might also require more flushing because there is a lack of agitation from traveling…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet