cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Sending Switch

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Took our 2004 Silverado 1500 to the dealer for an oil change this morning. Late this afternoon DH noticed that the oil pressure gage was buried in the high side. The truck was running fine though. turned off the engine and all gauges except oil went to zero. Oil gauge dropped back, but not to zero.

So...hotfooted it back to the dealer. Dealer says the oil sending switch needs to be replaced... the "electrical component" is not signalling correctly. But I'm not supposed to be concerned because they didn't find any signs of leakage anywhere. I'm supposed to take the truck in Friday morning for a new OS switch. For $300.00.

The service advisor said he asked the techs if they could have done anything to goof up the switch and they said no... see this happen all the time.

Ok. Seems odd that everything worked when it went in..but not now.
So..am I being overly paranoid here?

cts
7 REPLIES 7

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, that's a lot of gadgets to malfunction! But good to know. I was concerned about loss of oil. The last time I had an OSS issue oil ended up all over the highway.

The dealer assures me there's no leaks so no worry and I'm ok till Friday morning.

cts

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
No as each gauge dial has its own stepper motor.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't the stepper motor affect all the gauges? Only the oil gauge is malfunctioning.

I'll ask about the recall. I never received any notice on that.
cts

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h
Any time I have had a sending unit fail, it went to zero pressure, instead of maxed out.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
i remember getting a recall notice on my 04 Silverado saying they would extend coverage on the cluster if there were gauge issues. May be worth checking into.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
My money's on the stepper motor in the gauge cluster being bad. It's a common failure in this era GM truck.

X2
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
My money's on the stepper motor in the gauge cluster being bad. It's a common failure in this era GM truck.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk