cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Truck Story

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I would pass this story along for you guys that have old vehicles. My Wildcat Fifth Wheel has been in New Jersey for almost two years and I needed to get it to Florida. I had worked a deal with a transport company to bring it down. I had to go up anyway and wanted to get the trailer checked out and serviced for the trip. I drove my old 1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins up there to take my tools and pick up boxes but didnt really trust the old girl to pull that trailer 1290 miles.
It seems I didnt have a choice when scheduling issues caused transporters plans and mine not to work out.I had to get the Wildcat back to Florida. Well after getting trailer cleaned and roadworthy I hooked up the old Dodge and set off. I took the ferry and the eastern shore to make the trip more enjoyable and not to run the truck to hard.. I drove 6 hr stretches and the truck just amazed me. It took it all in stride and pulled it like a champ. And averaged 15.4 mpg for the trip! Used no oil. No issues cropped up. Sure it was a little slower accelerating but had no problem keeping up with traffic. It was actually a pleasureable trip after I realized this truck would cause me no problems.
Those of you with older trucks. Keep them maintained and keep using them. You can save a lot of money and have more left over for camping. Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy!
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky
25 REPLIES 25

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy had a '92 D250 Cummins.
He got rid of it 2 years ago with 250,000.
Ran great, but the body was disintegrating around it.

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Chevrolet 2500 HD extended cab 4X4 8.1/Alison 40k miles....SWEET!!!!!!!!!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I still feel our 05 3500 chev duramax is running like new but 84K miles at this time. Over killed the manintence every year.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Nice story! Glad to hear the old Cummins never missed a beat!

I'm wanting another pickup myself and haven't got near the budget to buy a new/newer truck. I'll going to be looking at older rigs too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I like old trucks. One of these days the truck in my signature will be an old truck and I will like it even better.

Jerimiah,

How about Suburban 1992 Suburban

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'd still have my beautiful 93 D250 if it had a back seat instead of the jump-seats.
It had bucket seats in front and they were the most comfortable seat I have ever had in any vehicle.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I've found that you are usually better off in a truck that has a little experience.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice story! Glad to hear the old Cummins never missed a beat!

I'm wanting another pickup myself and haven't got near the budget to buy a new/newer truck. I'll going to be looking at older rigs too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I know the feeling! There are times I wished I still had my old '86 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 6.2. Granted it didn't A/C and was a 4 speed, but it also had a 8' Fisher snowplow. 2 tone blue. Guess I was partial to it for it was my 1st ever brand new truck. 18 mpg winter or summer, dual fuel tanks, quad front shocks. Oh yeah, it had the hood badge/emblem as well.

Glad to hear all went well with your trip.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Love old truck stories. Couple months ago, saw a (mid 90's) with over 370,000 miles on it. Your 15.4 mpg is better than my 11 mpg in our 2001.

Thanks for sharing
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Yup....2006 Dodge 2500 diesel with 200K+ miles. Still running like a champ!

Brakes and tires
Radiator fan
Water Pump
AC compressor are the only items I've ever changed.

Shell Rotella Synthetic every 10-15K with MoPar oil filter and fuel filter. No other service.

Been pulling a number of trailers from 5k# to 12K#.......And a 2500 truck camper for a couple years.

Gotta love a Dodge!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old trucks are cool. And, they get the job done.
Thanks for sharing your experience.