cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older tow vehicles

80R100RT
Explorer
Explorer
I was just curious as to whether many folks use older trucks to tow their rigs. The price of new trucks is far beyond our means. Thus far I have had good results with my older Dodge that I have $8,000 in.
1997 Dodge D2500 CTD 300,000 plus miles
1998 Prowler 275LE 5th Wheel
1975 Honda Trail90
45 REPLIES 45

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
I like old, the older the better. My 05 Dodge sits my yard all week, so I can drive my older 97 Grandprix daily . And on the weekend, I ride my even older 84 Goldwing around town. Every thing is payed for, so it's free sailing.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where a 2000 figures into the "older" equation...but if it's not there already our 2000 Ford F350 will someday, because it's not going anywhere. It's paid off, it's in great shape, it has the 7.3L PSD which will run forever, and only has 120,000 miles on it.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
TECMike... that was an enjoyable read! One doesn't often encounter the artful use of a simile and metaphor in a forum post, but your story writing was delightful. Must be the way Texan's can tell a tale.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe nailed it for me. Wife and I tow with a 2002 7.3 Powerstroke CrewCab. You can hear us coming a hundred yards away. We even disrupt the sounds of young guys with loud music who pull up behind us shaking the pavement!

With about 180K on him, our loyal older truck has never failed to start or get us there pulling our travel trailer.

I keep him in tip top mechanical shape. Only big mechanical improvement has been a Brian's Truck Shop heavy duty transmission built by Brian at his shop in Arkansas to ensure our truck's longevity. Plus I put a Ford Severe Duty air intake put on system him to further increase the engine's longevity. Admittedly, Bilstein shocks and Michelin tires helps his ride.

Now if we pulled together our pennies, we could afford to buy a new Ford SuperDuty that has twice the power and torque, much nicer cabin amenities and is quiet enough to slip upon a thief.

We know there are parts of our truck, which we have named "Bubba", which are wearing out that we do not know about. But, gracious, there are parts of me and my bride of nearly fifty years which are wearing out that we do not know about also.

So we have resolved just to keep ole Bubba, drive him and enjoy him and our little trailer on shorter trips as we age. We try to be considerate campers and not crank Bubba up until after 8:00 a.m. Perhaps we will put on a second pot of coffee in the mornings and wait until it warms up a little. Besides, Bubba runs better when it is a little warmer during the day.

Our Bubba is a good, loyal, friend!

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
It's disconcerting to think of my tow vehicle as "old" today, especially when I purchased it "new." To mind, it is still just as "new" to me. I think Ben articulated this well with his 1996, which is still "new" to him.

It is hard not to take note of the new transmissions nowadays with more gears to deliver power with better fuel economy. With 4 speeds now considered "old", 5 speeds on the wane, 6 speeds now in common, 8 speeds being introduced into production, and 10 speeds on the drawing board, I can think back to when it used to be all truck automatics were 3 speeds... the Ford C6, the GM Hydramatic 400, the Dodge Powerglide. In fact, I still remember 2 speed car automatics.

So with very functional improvements like that, it's tempting to go new. If I were to replace my "old" (but still new to me) truck, I'd have two more gears in the automatic, cleaner emissions, quieter noise levels, an infinitely better turning radius, integrated trailer brake control, rear window defogger, power extending tow mirrors, a lot more horsepower and torque, more fuel carrying capacity, stronger frame, built in navigation, heated and cooled seats, the list goes on and on.

But so does the price. And so does the umbilical cord to more expensive and sophisticated dealership only repairs.

One advantage that the internet brings with older vehicles is an ever growing and freely distributed knowledge base on how to fix them. Pictures and videos from similarly situated users help demystify the diagnosis and solutions to repair problems with older vehicles in a way that is not yet available with newer vehicles that increasingly rely on software that is proprietary to the manufacturer and only available at authorized dealers.

I hadn't quite realized how useful the home brewed distribution of knowledge is about older vehicles until a friend purchased an 10 year old Excursion, and knowing very little about car repair, was able to successfully rebuild and repair everything on the vehicle from online videos, pictures, and message boards. He saved thousands of dollars of dealership labor charges, which no longer like to quote their hourly rate, preferring instead to charge "by the job". I've computed the local dealer shop time rate to be just under $200.00 per hour, based on labor time codes for established procedures.

It all adds up. Then there is the insurance on the new tow vehicle, which will require full comprehensive if financed, and is probably advisable for a brand new vehicle even if not financed. Then there is the sales tax and annual registration based on vehicle value determined by the purchase price, depending on state where domiciled. It all adds up.

Depreciation is another depressing fact of life that comes with all the tempting new improvements to transmissions, power, and convenience. Being able to only fetch 1/5 the price initially paid 5 years later, even with less than 60,000 miles on the clock, is a sobering reality that is often forgotten by me when I'm drooling over the incremental engineering improvements of today's models.

So thankfully, threads like this remind me to keep what I've got for as long as possible. As newer and newer tow vehicles pass me by like mysteriously quiet and powerful UROs (unidentified rolling objects), it remains encouraging to find so many others on this thread who are disciplined and savvy enough to "live within their means" and make do with the devil they've got.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
bmanning wrote:
Airstreamer67 wrote:
My 96 F250 diesel was bought in the Spring of 96 for travel trailer and ranch towing purposes. After coast-to-coast towing duty, it's still going strong. I like the looks better than new ones.

X2

All subjective of course but I think that 90s body style is the best looking pickup Ford has ever produced.

My 08 is homely by comparison ๐Ÿ™‚
X3. I have a 1996 F250 PSD, white with a blue trim, and people will come up to me while I'm refueling and ask about year, mpg, garaged (it's not, but it looks like it is)how many miles on it, etc.

dodgernme
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to have all of you beat. I still have my 1987 F250 with a 6.9 liter diesel turbo and gear vender. I would rather put $1000 a year into it than have payments on a new one. I may not get there first but I get there.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
I envy you guys. Save for a 91 Miata that I had for close to 10 years, the longest I've owned a vehicle has been just under 3 years. I get bored and my mind wanders to what I could be driving. My wife on the other hand has had her 07 Murano since new and its paid off. She says this truck had better last me at least 3-4 more years. We'll see!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed with an 89 GMC 1 ton for years. Sold it with 180,000 miles on it to "update" to an 02 Silverado 3/4 ton, The 02 now has a whooping 33,000 miles on it. Living in Washington State is awesome it is easy on Vehicles. No rust and the rubber stays nice.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is a 2002 Dodge 2500 2WD quad cab with a long box, and 5.9 L engine with 3.55 rear end. It has the tow package and camper xtra springs. Tires and battery replaced 1year before I bought it. I bought it 2years ago with 80K miles on it at a govt auction for $5,600. No rust,

Best deal on a truck I've ever done.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Older is a state of mind! Many have referred to my 01 Ram CTD as real old, but it is still straight no rust and pulls our 05 Copper Canyon with ease. With only 258,500 miles it will be a while before I am looking for a replacement.

LOL
I had a former member call mine an " antique with a tractor engine "
I took it as a complement :B

Gale Banks must be your buddy! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taco wrote:
My last truck was a 94 f350, it wasn't a bad truck but it made the mistake of breaking they day before I wanted to go atv riding 160 miles away so it kept me up till all hours of the night fixing it. a week or so later I got a 2012 2500hd silverado.

I pretty much keep vehicles till they break often enough or at the wrong time and make me mad. It almost got replaced a couple of years earlier when it got me stuck on wet grass with it's 2wd open rear diff.

My take on older vehicles is that they are cheaper if you work on them yourself and are willing to tolerate the higher possibility of it not working when you need it or are willing to tolerate a ride on a tow truck when you want to be going somewhere else.

People on here talk about maintenance, sure it is important sure it can help it last longer but the truth is as a vehicle ages, no amount of fluid changes make up for the fact that every sensor, the starter, alternator, fuel pump, belts, hoses, water pump, ignition, ecu, etc. are all potential failure points that only grow more likely with age. I don't know many people that go and replace all these parts before they break and the truth is that the junk that most auto parts stores sell might not be any more reliable than a 200k used oe part. so unless you want to replace every last part on it with parts from the dealer IF they are still available. you have a higher likelihood if a ride on a tow truck and a fun vacation derailed with an older truck. but it is cheaper, depends what is important to you.

Hi Taco,

You are right, but a new vehicle can break at the most inopportune time as well. Even if its on the manufacturers coin it still stinks. Just search this forum... lots of newer trucks break... leaving their owners just as frustrated..

PS... I think your truck is SWEET.. Love the new GM 2500 HD's
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 suburban still feels new to me 200,000 on the clock paid for and just ordered some LTZ 20in rims and tires for her !! tows great and looks great. Just sold my 95 suburban diesel with 520,000 miles . I miss that truck!

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
My last truck was a 94 f350, it wasn't a bad truck but it made the mistake of breaking they day before I wanted to go atv riding 160 miles away so it kept me up till all hours of the night fixing it. a week or so later I got a 2012 2500hd silverado.

I pretty much keep vehicles till they break often enough or at the wrong time and make me mad. It almost got replaced a couple of years earlier when it got me stuck on wet grass with it's 2wd open rear diff.

My take on older vehicles is that they are cheaper if you work on them yourself and are willing to tolerate the higher possibility of it not working when you need it or are willing to tolerate a ride on a tow truck when you want to be going somewhere else.

People on here talk about maintenance, sure it is important sure it can help it last longer but the truth is as a vehicle ages, no amount of fluid changes make up for the fact that every sensor, the starter, alternator, fuel pump, belts, hoses, water pump, ignition, ecu, etc. are all potential failure points that only grow more likely with age. I don't know many people that go and replace all these parts before they break and the truth is that the junk that most auto parts stores sell might not be any more reliable than a 200k used oe part. so unless you want to replace every last part on it with parts from the dealer IF they are still available. you have a higher likelihood if a ride on a tow truck and a fun vacation derailed with an older truck. but it is cheaper, depends what is important to you.

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreamer67 wrote:
My 96 F250 diesel was bought in the Spring of 96 for travel trailer and ranch towing purposes. After coast-to-coast towing duty, it's still going strong. I like the looks better than new ones.

X2

All subjective of course but I think that 90s body style is the best looking pickup Ford has ever produced.

My 08 is homely by comparison ๐Ÿ™‚
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment