cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One different size tire on tandom axle

cdru
Explorer
Explorer
Had a blowout, bought new tire, also used the "new" spare in order to have two new tires, and found out the spare is a 15" tire and all the rest are 14". Is there any problem running a tire that is a little over an inch larger on a tandem axle travel trailer? The trailer weighs just under 5,000 pounds. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

big_murph_279
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all new trucks have different wheels for spares. However, the circumference of the tire is equal because it has a different size. Maybe 225/45r20 and then a 235/70r17. I wouldn't worry about it.

pappy437
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it.Tires will only scuff because they are fastened side by side as in duals.You are only razing the end of the axle 1/2 inch.

cdru
Explorer
Explorer
There is plenty of clearance for the tire.............The equalizer is a good point. When we changed the blowout, we drove onto 3 2x6 pcs. to raise the flat and still had to use the jack because the tire on the blocks went way up but the torn up tire did not raise up enough to even change. When I used a jack at home to jack up the entire side of the trailer both tires came up right away. Seems like the trailer is light and springs are also light.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The thing in between the two springs is called a leaf spring equaliser because it equalizes. Does the tire have clearance?

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
If it were my trailer (whether it be TT, boat, utility), I'd ensure all its tires are the exact same size. And, same load / speed rating as well. Why create a weak spot within its suspension system?

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer won't know the difference, and neither will the respondents.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I would not want to run that way for too long but agree it will not be a huge problem as long as there is clearance.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldnt be a problem unless there isnt enough clearance

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never thought about this before but if the diameter of the tires are different, i would think one of the tires on that side would be stressed and maybe pop the bead. I would think the weight would not be evenly distributed .

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
My M/H had tires like that when I first got it. The smaller diameter tires made contact but scuffed enough along the road that they looked like a pair of slicks in a very short time. I wouldn't use them that way any longer than it takes to get to a tire shop and have it corrected.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!