cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Step Closer

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On Friday we finalize the purchase of a 2016 Grand Design 317RST to be used full time after retirement next year. It is 35' weighing 10,138 empty carrying a GVWR of 13,995. The dealer agreed to store it for us until next year. Now comes the hard part - buying a truck.

Years ago we had an '03 F250 PS used to haul a 24' 5er. Worked like a champ. But the new diesels really scare me with all the problems they've had. Regardless, I've decided diesel is the way to go. The Cummins seems like a great engine, unfortunately I've read way too much about front ends and wheel bearings and am concerned about Ram's build quality in general. I like Fords, but the prospect of having a problem which requires ripping the cab off the truck bothers me.

Pretty much, I've decided on Ford. Right now they're offering 0.00% financing up to 72 months and some great pricing on left over 2016 models - that is hard to ignore. I found two trucks of interest. The first is a F350 PD crew cab short bed SRW with 3.55 gears. The 2nd is a F350 Supercab long bed SRW with the same gearing. I know length is our friend when towing, but the 2 trucks are within 2 inches of each other with respect to wheel base. The 2nd is about 6k less expensive.

As I am unfamiliar with towing 14k, so I am interested in input from those who are. What say ye?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
81 REPLIES 81

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
After much research and hand wringing, we pulled the trigger on a truck purchase today and get to pick it up next Friday. It seems perfect for what we're towing. It's a '16 Ram Laramie CCLB dually in Luxury Brown; options include:

AISIN trans
3.42 gearing
5th wheel towing package
Air bag leveling system
LED bed lighting
Leather bucket seats
Heavy duty snow plow prep
Cargo view camera

I believe the air bag suspension rides a little nicer than non-air bag trucks I drove and the AISIN shifts great, too. ...really dig that truck. Can't wait to get it out there and work it some. It's going to be a long week!!

Sorry didn't mean to overshadow your new truck purchase.... Enjoy.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ I have called him out on this one before also. I think he should be running a gasser then he can say his truck is made in USA but that Mexican Made engine must really bother him.

I Don't like that my truck is ASSEMBLED in Mexico but most of it is US Made. Both of my 98 RAM's are Made in StLouis. I wonder where his phone is made and what brand it is. I use Apple products, at least they are a US Company. I buy US Made NewBalance shoes or at least Assembled in USA.

I also thank Sergio for taking RAM and making it a better truck. GM and Ford guys should appreciate that since they raised the bar and others have followed.

It's a real shame your truck is not even a US brand product anymore and I can assure you your truck has not set the bar especially that front suspension design that was a copy from a Super Duty.

Anyways I sleep good at night knowing I have a US made truck setting in my garage. :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fast Mopar wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Fact is Ford is a US based company that is still ran by the Ford family and Ram/fiat is a foreign company that is ran by macaroni. In addition it's comical that you brag that your B&W hitch is "Made in the USA" but you always leave out that nasty detail that your ram truck is "Made in Mexico" by a foreign brand.

Spin it however you like.

BTW...Your like a liberal in that 2+2= Whatever feels good.

RAM truck plant

Ford truck plant

Fish, your post here is accurate. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall in a recent post that you stated you run Michelin tires on your truck. The fact is that Michelin is not a US company. They do build tires in the US, but they are definitely not a US company. Goodyear is a US company. They build tires in the US and in other countries, but they are a US company. In addition, Goodyear produces the synthetic rubber in the US that is used in those tires that are produced here in the US and at their plants in other countries. Don't argue with me on this - this is the business I am in. If you really want to walk the walk on doing business with US companies (which is something I respect as well), then you should change your brand of tire next time around. Heck, if you're nice, I might even offer you one of my employee discount codes.

Sorry to hijack the thread. You may return to your normal programming.

My truck came from the factory with Michelin tires and now I'm running Goodyears. :W

Thanks in advance on that discount offer. I do agree that buying "Made in the USA" and equally important buying from US based companies is the respectable thing to do.

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
After much research and hand wringing, we pulled the trigger on a truck purchase today and get to pick it up next Friday. It seems perfect for what we're towing. It's a '16 Ram Laramie CCLB dually in Luxury Brown; options include:

AISIN trans
3.42 gearing
5th wheel towing package
Air bag leveling system
LED bed lighting
Leather bucket seats
Heavy duty snow plow prep
Cargo view camera

I believe the air bag suspension rides a little nicer than non-air bag trucks I drove and the AISIN shifts great, too. ...really dig that truck. Can't wait to get it out there and work it some. It's going to be a long week!!
2016 Grand Design 317RST

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:
I found a Ram CCLB DRW that is a pretty good fit for us but it comes equipped with a tri-fold tonneau cover. Does anyone know if that will actually fit over a fifth wheel hitch or will there be interference?

Thanks.

It will fit just fine. If you have the puck system get the B&W RVK3600. If not add the pucks and the hitch.

Cool, thanks.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
I found a Ram CCLB DRW that is a pretty good fit for us but it comes equipped with a tri-fold tonneau cover. Does anyone know if that will actually fit over a fifth wheel hitch or will there be interference?

Thanks.

It will fit just fine. If you have the puck system get the B&W RVK3600. If not add the pucks and the hitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ I have called him out on this one before also. I think he should be running a gasser then he can say his truck is made in USA but that Mexican Made engine must really bother him.

I Don't like that my truck is ASSEMBLED in Mexico but most of it is US Made. Both of my 98 RAM's are Made in StLouis. I wonder where his phone is made and what brand it is. I use Apple products, at least they are a US Company. I buy US Made NewBalance shoes or at least Assembled in USA.

I also thank Sergio for taking RAM and making it a better truck. GM and Ford guys should appreciate that since they raised the bar and others have followed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Fact is Ford is a US based company that is still ran by the Ford family and Ram/fiat is a foreign company that is ran by macaroni. In addition it's comical that you brag that your B&W hitch is "Made in the USA" but you always leave out that nasty detail that your ram truck is "Made in Mexico" by a foreign brand.

Spin it however you like.

BTW...Your like a liberal in that 2+2= Whatever feels good.

RAM truck plant

Ford truck plant

Fish, your post here is accurate. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall in a recent post that you stated you run Michelin tires on your truck. The fact is that Michelin is not a US company. They do build tires in the US, but they are definitely not a US company. Goodyear is a US company. They build tires in the US and in other countries, but they are a US company. In addition, Goodyear produces the synthetic rubber in the US that is used in those tires that are produced here in the US and at their plants in other countries. Don't argue with me on this - this is the business I am in. If you really want to walk the walk on doing business with US companies (which is something I respect as well), then you should change your brand of tire next time around. Heck, if you're nice, I might even offer you one of my employee discount codes.

Sorry to hijack the thread. You may return to your normal programming.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just headed south thru Oregon and into California. Cool temps for sure but my Aisin trans temp never exceeded 165. That's pulling a combined 33K+. THAT is very important for a transmissions longevity. In 100 plus temps the high 170's is the most it's seen. I heard the cooling fan come mildly for a couple seconds a couple times.

I will admit my mileage was horrible but with HIGH head winds that's expected.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
"Cummins is a true MD engine and Aisin is a true MD trans"

What is meant by this statement? Do you mean to say the Cummins is designed for different work than the Powerstroke and Duramax? There is no doubt that the Powerstroke and Duramax were designed to be used in the diesel pickup trucks. I know the original Cummins was designed to deliver 160 hp and was used in small farm tractors but I thought it was revamped to compete with the Duramax?

They are both used in more than one manufacturers MD units.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering a dually, you should go back to the Ford lot and drive an F350 DRW with the Max Tow package and wide track front axle. The turning radius alone will sell you on the truck.

Or just step up to the best and get an F450. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
hellfirehydra wrote:
I was in a similar situation to OP. I was driving a very nice 2014 Tundra that didn't quite get the job done to my liking with my long trailer.

I was pretty set on picking up a used F-250 for 35-40k. I test drove both the F-250's and the Ram 2500. I ended up settling on the Ram and have absolutely no regrets. I was really quite surprised that the Tradesman offered so many options I didn't think I would be getting. I definitely preferred the Tradesman package over the XLT's I looked at.

I ended up just under $42k for a new 2016 Tradesman Diesel. The pricing on the Rams really does seem hard to beat.

They are both super nice trucks. I can't see that I would regret either one. The Cummins really does pull like a dream and the exhaust brake is simply incredible for pulling through the mountains.

The big Pros for me were:
Space under the hood(Huge advantage to the Ram)
Cummins ๐Ÿ™‚
Exhaust brake
Entry level trim package seemed more generous on the Tradesmans.

Good luck Op, check em all out. They all make good trucks these days.

Yup, one advantage is under the hood. Should something bad go wrong, at least they don't have to tear the cab off the truck.

I loved that Jake Brake.

In fact, I was surprised to discover that the Tradesman I drove wasn't an SLT.

Now, I'm trying to convince myself to get it over with and just buy the dang dually. (Never, ever, thought I'd have something like that!!) It's a monster but I bet it's rock solid under a trailer. I can forget about using drive through ATMs I guess.

Seriously, I an concerned about driving that beast around town. As we'll be full-time we don't plan to move daily or even weekly so I'll have to live with that thing as a daily driver. Plus I would like to make the occasional off road excursion out west. But if you think I have concerns, you should hear my wife...

This brings up a question about gearing. The one I drove had 3.42s. As my trailer is 14k gross, it's probably ok. But 4.10 seems over kill. I'm thinking something in between is a balance between towing ability and fuel mileage. At the risk of starting an argument (LOL), anyone have opinions on gearing?

Also, will Cummins service centers work on those installed in Ram trucks or are they for big rigs only? Thanks.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a similar situation to OP. I was driving a very nice 2014 Tundra that didn't quite get the job done to my liking with my long trailer.

I was pretty set on picking up a used F-250 for 35-40k. I test drove both the F-250's and the Ram 2500. I ended up settling on the Ram and have absolutely no regrets. I was really quite surprised that the Tradesman offered so many options I didn't think I would be getting. I definitely preferred the Tradesman package over the XLT's I looked at.

I ended up just under $42k for a new 2016 Tradesman Diesel. The pricing on the Rams really does seem hard to beat.

They are both super nice trucks. I can't see that I would regret either one. The Cummins really does pull like a dream and the exhaust brake is simply incredible for pulling through the mountains.

The big Pros for me were:
Space under the hood(Huge advantage to the Ram)
Cummins ๐Ÿ™‚
Exhaust brake
Entry level trim package seemed more generous on the Tradesmans.

Good luck Op, check em all out. They all make good trucks these days.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:
Santa Fe wrote:
1.5 years of ownership here and I don't have any complaints about build quality with my RAM.

I opened my buddy's eyes to the RAM...he was deadset on Toyotas (just like I used to be). He had a lot of preconceived notions as well, but so far so good!

Tough to beat a Toyota and if they built a one ton diesel I'd be all over it, but they don't.

Toyota missed it big when they decided not to make a 3/4 ton and 1 ton in the early 2000s when they upped their game with the tundra. At that time, the big 3 still made those pickups as work trucks are more utilitarian. It wasn't until late 2000s they realized professionals, retirees and other non traditional pickup buyers would buy trucks that drive like cars and have creature comforts like cars. Now there's such a huge barrier to entry due to the refinement of the big 3 pickups. And Nissan is 12 years too late too with the XD.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch