cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opinions needed on diesel truck situation!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I am in real need of some opinions here. It's not to discuss which is best out of the big three. It's to discuss what is my best option here.
The Good: I came upon an unbelievable chance to buy my dad's 2006 LLY duramax with ally 6 speed auto transmission for payoff. This left me selling my 1995 power stroke that had a lot of blood sweat and tears poured into it to get it up to snuff so while I'm sad about that, I have gained an awesome truck.
The bad: I will now have to sell me stroke and pay probably about a year on the duramax.
7k will probably be what I owe when everything shakes out.
I'm getting a crew cab duramax for 13500!!!!
So my needed opinions are:
-should I be worried about the repair costs and ability to repair my new 06 dmax from home vs say a 7.3 or cummins older models?
-should I sell both the powerstroke and duramax and pick up say a 99-02 super duty 7.3 since I know the engine and feel they would be easier to maintain and possibly come away almost debt free.

I don't like debt but I sure like the duramax…tough decision here and some opinions would be VERY helpful guys! Regardless, we just had the best camping trip of our life last weekend so life is good no matter what! thanks RV.net
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
34 REPLIES 34

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet truck!!!!

Now update your sig! Lol
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
woodtrucker wrote:
Here she is guys.
Spray in bedliner and paint matched rhino'd rocker panels.
The truck is a very dark blue. Pretty awesome. Don't think I could ever do as good with anything else!
I'm jealous!! That was a great move!
That generation of D'Max has no major issues that I'm aware of.
It was past the injector issues of the LB7s, past the alleged overheating issues of the 04/05 LLYs but pre DPF and DEF.

It should give you many thousands of miles of trouble free towing.
Enjoy
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a nice looking ride, glad you decided to keep it in the family!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. I do owe dad big. He was in a difficult situation on it b/c he wasn't physically able to get in and out of it anymore.He would have had to short sell it anyway to get something that he wouldn't potentially fall out of as soon as possible so it made sense to offer it to me versus anyone else. I am thankful for the opportunity and he will still get to ride in it on occasion too!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking truck...very nice "Bowtie"...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think you owe "Dad" a BIG THANKS! Great looking truck.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Here she is guys.
Spray in bedliner and paint matched rhino'd rocker panels.
The truck is a very dark blue. Pretty awesome. Don't think I could ever do as good with anything else!

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be a great truck - enjoy!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all opinions guys. Especially thanks for not turning this into chevy,ford,dodge arguments. It's about the best route to for this situation. Has nothing to do with brand. I've very happy with the chevy so I think i'll keep it!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm not very married to any of the big three but I may have been fogged up in the brain over the drinking the blue kool aid. I'm sticking with the chevy. It pulls like a dream for sure. Just will need to buckle down and get it paid off within a year!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I know about diesels, the one you're buying shouldn't need that much in terms of repairs.

Look at this thread, this guy is ready to stroke a check for $24,000 to buy an '07 LBZ with the same miles.

I think it would be a slap in the face to your Pops if you sold the LLY, he's giving you a gift so you will have a nice reliable truck to pull your camper. He could put that truck on CL tomorrow and get $10K more than what you're paying on the first phone call.

Read the comments in this thread about the value of knowing the services history of a truck when buying used. The fact that you have done the maintenance on the LLY since new is worth a lot more than buying another 7.3 from a stranger.

I would say taking one year to pay off that note is a wise use of debt.

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing the history, and the fact i actually maintained it for him does help.
Only concern I have is the difficulty/cost of doing repairs on it vs the other two.
I do all my own work. Guess it is still better even if it's harder to work on!

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
The best truck is the one I bought new a decade ago .
I know who it has been with and what care it has been given .
I know how hard I worked it towing up those 6 % grades .
Mine happens to be a 2002 duramax /ally I bought new in Jan 2002 .
It has been totally trouble free .
The possibility of getting a duramax from your "pops" is a chance of a lifetime .
I would buy it even if it was a powerstroke or cummins .

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh it would be a mistake to let that Duramax slip through your fingers.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
If you pass up that D'Max, there are an awful lot of folks on here who would be delighted to take it off your hands!
The '06 to 07 1/2 D'maxes were the best of the bunch.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.