Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on Grand Design

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
*LONG POST WARNING*

Hey everyone, long time RVer here. When people ask questions, I find it helpful to know some background to better answer their question. So, here's some background.

I started out with a late 70's vintage tent trailer (pop-up), moved to a 25' TT (Fleetwood Terry), then a 33' TT (Keystone Cougar) which was a POS which I thought was a one off - more on that later. Then I last had a 37' 3 slide Keystone Cougar 322QBS 5er. That thing nearly caused a fatal collision as the pin box welds failed (Lippert frame) when only a few months old while going down the highway at 65 mph, and it had to be rebuilt in the front due to extremely poor quality construction and non-existent QC at Keystone.

Here's a link to that saga

Anyway, the point of all this is that I am much more aware of the quality of the bones of an RV now, rather than just the floorplan and the shiny features. None of that is any good if the frame breaks.

Between then and now there has been a divorce and a new, much happier marriage, and the kids are grown and gone. Retirement is coming in the next few years and my wife and I and 2 dogs are likely going to move into an RV and spend a few years work-camping, traveling, and living in the RV in a semi-permanent site for a few months at a time, likely near the Canadian West Coast.

Sooooo...all that said, 3 RVs have caught our attention.

- Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS
- Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
- Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS

And also the Freedom Express Liberty Edition 279RLTS.

I would welcome any comments on the build quality, durability, overall quality, etc. etc. of Grand Design's Reflection series TTs.

As well, the tow vehicle hasn't been purchased yet, I will do that AFTER we pick an RV so I can match up the specs.

Thanks!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
18 REPLIES 18

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
ib516 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Iโ€™m like Huntindog. Our Dart has all Lippert suspension and I have found nothing that would make me leary of them. If I was looking for another camper, who made the frame wouldnโ€™t matter. What would matter is if the frame is minimally sized for that camper.

When mine failed, dropping my 5er onto my truck while going down the highway at 65mph, it wasn't the size, it was the lack of quality of the welds.

The professional mobile welder Keystone sent to the campground to patch the pinbox back onto the 5er so I could tow it to a repair facility without it snapping off and going into oncoming traffic said the welds were "full of rust and porosity" and any welder with any skill at all would have seen they did not bond to either metal. Take a look at the link I provided and see for yourself. Keep in mind this RV is only a few months old when this pic was taken.
And if that had happened to me, I would be royally POโ€™d. And very skeptical of anything Lippert, also.

Here's some Lippert quality....

This is the area on the pinbox where this picture was taken (stock photo)

The pinbox broke free and pushed up into the nose cap, breaking the floor and wall in the front bedroom on a new (not overloaded) RV. It was a mess.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
The difference between a Lippert axle and a Dexter axle is....... Lippert uses powder coat. Dexter paints theirs.... That is it.

Lippert high quality components, same as Dexter other than the paint. OK lol.

Maybe ask Grand Design why they switched to Dexter from Lippert @ 2017, or better yet ask one of the thousands of Grand Design owners who had issues on new rigs with the LCI axles, most multiple times.

LCI AXLE ISSUE

I have yet to see a Grand Design rig not built on a Lippert frame no matter if it has LCI or Dexter axles.
Ralph,,,,, Did you actually read what is in your link?

one tenth of 1% of the axles Lippert made had this issue.... Of course that is a lot of axles..... But it also means that 99.9% did not have the issue. And that is a LOT more axles.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Iโ€™m like Huntindog. Our Dart has all Lippert suspension and I have found nothing that would make me leary of them. If I was looking for another camper, who made the frame wouldnโ€™t matter. What would matter is if the frame is minimally sized for that camper.

When mine failed, dropping my 5er onto my truck while going down the highway at 65mph, it wasn't the size, it was the lack of quality of the welds.

The professional mobile welder Keystone sent to the campground to patch the pinbox back onto the 5er so I could tow it to a repair facility without it snapping off and going into oncoming traffic said the welds were "full of rust and porosity" and any welder with any skill at all would have seen they did not bond to either metal. Take a look at the link I provided and see for yourself. Keep in mind this RV is only a few months old when this pic was taken.

Here's some Lippert quality....

This is the area on the pinbox where this picture was taken (stock photo)

The pinbox broke free and pushed up into the nose cap, breaking the floor and wall in the front bedroom on a new (not overloaded) RV. It was a mess.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
However, I do understand Ralphโ€™s concern. I feel the same way about anything Chrysler. Irrational perhaps, but it makes sense to me.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
The difference between a Lippert axle and a Dexter axle is....... Lippert uses powder coat. Dexter paints theirs.... That is it.

Lippert high quality components, same as Dexter other than the paint. OK lol.

Maybe ask Grand Design why they switched to Dexter from Lippert @ 2017, or better yet ask one of the thousands of Grand Design owners who had issues on new rigs with the LCI axles, most multiple times.

LCI AXLE ISSUE

I have yet to see a Grand Design rig not built on a Lippert frame no matter if it has LCI or Dexter axles.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
Better check on the Lippert frame and axles. Some GD models are using dexter axles now and the frames may not all be Lippert. We have a 303rls 5th wheel and could not be happier. Our last 5th was a Keystone and I had to replace both axles due to being bent.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better check on the Lippert frame and axles. Some GD models are using dexter axles now and the frames may not all be Lippert. We have a 303rls 5th wheel and could not be happier. Our last 5th was a Keystone and I had to replace both axles due to being bent.

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a GD imagine bumper pull I'm very happy with the build quality, including the underpinnings. I traded in a cougar fifth for it, much better than my cougar.

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a GD imagine bumper pull I'm very happy with the build quality, including the underpinnings. I traded in a cougar fifth for it, much better than my cougar.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that I may be an anomaly here......

But my Sabre has a Lippert frame, axles etc..
The frame is very stout, and the welds are top notch.( I am a welder).This is the first TT I have owned that I have not had to repair the frame on. Those were NOT Lippert frames
The axles were the sealed bearing type originally. When a bearing went south, and I found that Lippert had discontinued that type of axle, they fixed me up with brand new heavier axles and a VERY good price.

The point is, Lippert will sell a manufacturer whatever they ask for.

Sabre spec'd a heavy duty frame, and that is what I got.

Many other manufacturers, sadly do not... Probably to save a few bucks to be competitive....But that is NOT Lipperts fault
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may find out that Coachmen also uses Lippert frames? They seem to have that market cornered.

Northwood/Outdoors Manufacturing use their own frames....beefy. You have to like one of their floorplans though.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
A happy GD owner here. But since GD uses Lippert frames there have also been instances of lousy welds.

Well that may eliminate them from my shopping list. I will never own another RV with a Lippert frame. I'll look closer at the Coachmen if I can confirm that GD uses that tin foil structure junk that Lippert thinks can act as a frame of an RV.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see I have a 315 and I really like it tows well it is long but it had what we wanted . Grand Design has great customer service. I have had a few issues but I call GD and they send me the part and I fix it, why do I fix it you may ask I bought mine out of town and the local dealer more or less refuses to work on it, it was worth buying out of state saved over $3000.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A happy GD owner here. But since GD uses Lippert frames there have also been instances of lousy welds.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......