Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

opinions on installing new rear springs

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi folks .
Being my 04' 2500HD GMC 6.0 gasser is 10 years old with 70k miles, I was thinking about a new set of springs.
I'm thinking new, because at 10 years of New England road salt use, the OEM spring pack will probably have hairline cracks at the pins , once I pull them to inspect them. (my spring shop usually does not rebuild a 10 yr. old pack)
I was thinking of adding 2 more leafs than the OEM pack. I'm hauling a Lance 845 that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000#. As of now, I plan to keep the Hellwig rear sway bar in place.

If I go this route, and it all looks to sit level in all directions , would you leave off the air bags ?
or...would the bags still offer me some stability ?

Bob
17 REPLIES 17

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think air bags can add stability as long you don't put too much air in them. However, the only way to know what you should add is to try it. The spring shop probably knows more about what to do to the springs than any of us. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've read here that lots of people really like their aftermarket springs made just for them.

Don't forget about your tires as you are upgrading though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My old 97, 7.4, 230,000 still the original pack in the back. I did add 19.5" tire and Air-Lift bags years ago due to slightly working the truck harder than most. Had 200,000 on the ticker when we went to Alaska tipping the scales at 11,000 lbs.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Me.... I think it's an unnecessary expense to replace the springs, unless they are so corroded that large chunks of rusted metal are flaking off them.

Airbags will still do a good job of reducing sway, to some degree.
Bob