cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

opinions on jayco jay flight 28bhs

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my family is new to rving if anyone has or has experience with a 2013 Jayco Jay flight 28bhs let me know what you think. This will be our first RV and almost put money down on it, but still am a little hesitant. thanks
58 REPLIES 58

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco kept the same floorplans but changed the name when they introduced the G2 luxury Jay Flight series in 2008. The standard model name dropped by 1 "27BH now is a 26BH, 29BHS is now a 28BHS", and the new G2 series took the same model numbers, 27BH, 29BHS, etc .

When Jayco retired the G2 series in 2011, they left the standard Jay Flight floorplans names the same in 2012, but the floorplans now have some added luxury features.

The new 2015 models, have reverted back to even less features than the 'standard' models of 2008 - 2011. They have added the Elite package to bring back some of the features of previous 2012 - 2014 models.

I wouldn't buy a 2015 Jay Flight now without the Elite package.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
We had a very similar model in 2005 which was the 29BHS. We were going to get the 27BH....but my father suggested one with a slide. It doesnt give a ton of space, but its also useable without the slide out. I thought it was a great trailer, wonderful floorplan and served us very well. I would have continued buying Jayco's if I had found a floorplan in a 5er that we wanted.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I Previously said that the 25BHS was my favorite floorplan, but I have to take that back. We have the grandparents and sometimes an Uncle come camping with us. The single bottom bunk just wouldn't do with family camping.

We have the grandparents sleep on the bottom double bunk, and one of the kids can sleep either on the dinette or sofa.

Also with our 2012 26BH, we didn't want an upper double bunk. It makes the bottom way to claustrophobic and even the top. Plus you now don't get a ward for the people sleeping in that corner (since the upper double bunk takes up the space for the ward). The same would be true of the 28BHS. I only have 2 kids so the single bunk over double bunk with ward, works Great. As I said, also works for grandparents and uncles. Unfortunately it's not offered anymore.

My F150 for a Crew Cab 4WD has good factory optioned payload of 1582 lbs (brochure speced base of 1700 lbs). My family and gear are 800 lbs in the truck and my camper loaded is ~6500 lbs. So I have left over room. Many Crew Cab 4WD 1/2 ton trucks only have between 1300 and 1400 lbs of "FACTORY OPTIONED" payload. They would be at their GVWR pulling my trailer or perhaps even over. The only Crew Cab 4WD 1/2 ton friendly floorplans are the 26BH and 28BHS.

Saying the above, if I had to replace my camper today, I would strongly consider the 26BHS but it's 1000 lbs heavier than my 26BH and would be right at the GVWR of my truck, when towing. It would had been to heavy for previous F150 with only a 7200 lbs GVWR (current truck is 7350 lbs).

With my truck, a F150 Heavy Duty Payload Package/Max Tow package Truck or a F250/F350 truck, I'd consider the 26BHS over the 28BHS. The 26BHS offers a ward for the dual corner double beds and provides more walking room than the 28BHS. However it unfortunately has a short sofa that only seats 2 or 3 people opposed to the 6' sofas in the 26BH and 28BHS.

Also the 26BHS would need a 'swivel' TV mount so that the TV could swing out to face the sofa. Otherwise watching TV would be poor since LED/LCD TVs have a poor watching angle.

Just some more food for thought.

Previously I didn't consider the 26BHS as it was called a Jay FLight "SWIFT" 267BH. The Swift models had some pretty major downgrades over a standard Jay Flight and I couldn't go backwards coming out of a Standard Jay Flight 2008 19BH.

Good luck on your decision.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
My friend owned a Jayco and had water leak issues. I was talking to someone in the industry about it and they said Jayco is known to have leak issues. I'm on my second Keystone TT and I love it. The new Premier is amazing!

Really? Do you have anything other than "I was talking to someone in the industry"? If you research the threads concerning Jayco on this site and numerous other RV-dedicated sites, my bet would be that the posts from the actual people who own and camp in Jaycos wouldn't back that up. I'm not saying that no Jayco camper has leaked before, because NO manufacturer can say that.

But Jayco has always put out a solid product and the experiences on this site will validate that.

We've owned our Jayco Eagle now for 5 years with zero issues of any kind, let alone leak issues.

When our kids are no longer camping, and it's getting close to that as only 1 (and her friends) of the 4 regularly does these days, and we look to get rid of the bunkhouse floorplan for something more comfortable for 2 adults, we will not hesitate to purchase another Jayco product if they have a model we like.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a Jayco but have generally heard good things and they are on my list for my next TT. I do have a very similar TT and am looking at getting something bigger with a separate bunk slide room. The area inside just isn't big enough for people to be doing different things. For example, once people are out of the bunks they are of no use (the bunks not the people :)) And mom/dad's bedroom is too small and has no TV.

The bathing situation is very limited as well. Once you take a shower and get out the bathroom is far too small to get dressed in. The front bedroom is far too small as well. So, that leaves you with the only option being to just drop your towel and get dressed in the middle of the living room. Having a separate bunk room and/or bigger bedroom would really come in handy. These are all things that didn't occur to me when I bought the TT a few years ago. Also, my kids are getting bigger and just generally need more space.

I guess a lot depends on how you camp. If you just need the trailer as a place to crash and spend your time outside I'd say go for it. If you camp during colder times of year and plan to spend a lot of time in the TT it can be a bit cramped.

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco 28 BHBE and have no complaints. We looked at many TT, but knew it was the one as soon as we stepped in. You will not go wrong with a Jayco.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
My friend owned a Jayco and had water leak issues. I was talking to someone in the industry about it and they said Jayco is known to have leak issues. I'm on my second Keystone TT and I love it. The new Premier is amazing!

Actually it's quite the opposite. Jayco doesn't usually have problems unless it's from maintenance neglect. Never seen any leaking issues on any Jayco that I've owned or family/friends. I've seen so many Keystones having leaking problems and/or delamination, I recommend against them to family and friends.

Each to their own.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I've been researching travel trailers since 2012 and plan on buying summer 2016. After looking at many different brands, my family is certain that we will be buying a Jayco. The 32bhds specifically. Bang for the buck, I've seen nothing that can compare without spending significantly more money. Keystone Bullet Premier would be my second choice but the Jayco has a little more attention to detail in areas that matter to us. The Jayco forums are a great resource too if you want to geek out on your specific model.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

volvite
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
2 years in with ours and we still love it. I still like how the couch and dinette are close together so everyone sitting down can talk. Also love how you can look out the large window by the dinette from the couch. We look at different campers all the time but always decide to just keep the one we have.

Thanks for the update. We have not purchased the TT yet but we plan to buy one soon.

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
2 years in with ours and we still love it. I still like how the couch and dinette are close together so everyone sitting down can talk. Also love how you can look out the large window by the dinette from the couch. We look at different campers all the time but always decide to just keep the one we have.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

volvite
Explorer
Explorer
blderman wrote:
volvite wrote:
I'm bringing this thread back to life. My family and I are in the process of purchasing our first Travel trailer. we've been looking used but stopped by a camping world and looked at some new Jayco TTs. My grandfather owned a Jayco Class C years back and they seem to have a great reputation. I too am looking at a 2015 28BHS. Just trying to see if those that purchased this floor plan are still happy with their purchase.

I just ordered a 23BHS after getting a recommendation from another user on this board. The more I looked at the Jayco trailers the more I liked them and felt the quality was a nice step up from other brands although they are not on the same level as Northwood and Outdoors RV. For the price and features I think Jayco is tough to beat.

Yes I've heard great things about Jayco. Just trying to find out if this layout works great for those that did buy the 28BHS. I really like it for the function of keeping the booth and couch close together. However just trying to hear those who've experienced this layout for a while how they like it in the long run.

blderman
Explorer
Explorer
volvite wrote:
I'm bringing this thread back to life. My family and I are in the process of purchasing our first Travel trailer. we've been looking used but stopped by a camping world and looked at some new Jayco TTs. My grandfather owned a Jayco Class C years back and they seem to have a great reputation. I too am looking at a 2015 28BHS. Just trying to see if those that purchased this floor plan are still happy with their purchase.

I just ordered a 23BHS after getting a recommendation from another user on this board. The more I looked at the Jayco trailers the more I liked them and felt the quality was a nice step up from other brands although they are not on the same level as Northwood and Outdoors RV. For the price and features I think Jayco is tough to beat.
1 DW
2 DS
1 DD
Jayco 23BHS on order as of 3/19/15
2014 F150 SCREW LB 4x4 Ecoboost Max Tow (Beats my 02 7.3 PS hands down)
Can't wait for bow season!

volvite
Explorer
Explorer