cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for Tire/Wheel Upgrade

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am considering upgrading tires/wheels. I currently have 17's with LT245/75R17 rated at 3195 ea. I am sure that I am over with full water and want to be able to carry coolers/generator/chairs/firewood/bikes off the rear Titan extension, placing even more stress on the tires.

Option 1:
Keep the 17's and buy LT275/75R17 tires rated at 3950 lbs. ea. Not gaining any rim capacity, and these tires have a tall sidewall (Nitto Dura Grappler).

Option 2:
Upgrade to 18" wheels/tires and LT265/70R18 tires rated at 3640 lbs. ea. Most wheels are rated same. Net gain 890 lbs.

Option 3:
Vision 19.5's. specs not necessary, overkill.

I said I would never buy 19.5's again, I would just buy a dually, but here I am....don't want to buy a new truck just yet.

Opinions?

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
29 REPLIES 29

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
My tires came mounted on the rims and all four were palletized and shrink wrapped. Total weigh with pallet was 550 lbs.

Sounds about right;
My Rickson wheel is 57 pounds and my Toyo tires are 82 pounds; 139 pounds each and 556 pounds for 4.

My stock original tire wheel combo is 82 pounds. (I still have an unused spare I just weighed.) The difference on a set of 5 is 285 pounds.

Bedlam
My tires came mounted on the rims and all four were palletized and shrink wrapped. Total weigh with pallet was 550 lbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate posting

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Anderson wrote:
If the weight of your tires themselves is the difference between safe travels and your truck blowing up in a huge fireball and taking out a bus full of nuns and orphans, then you're probably operating a little too close to the edge, anyway.

I can agree with that! I was amazed how much my new 19.5" Rickson wheels and Toyo 265/70R19.5 set up weighs though. About 60 pounds per wheel more than the stock tires/wheels on my 2006 Dodge diesel truck!! That's 300 pounds (with spare) I hadn't considered when I hopped on the scales. It sorta surprised me.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
If the weight of your tires themselves is the difference between safe travels and your truck blowing up in a huge fireball and taking out a bus full of nuns and orphans, then you're probably operating a little too close to the edge, anyway.

Bedlam
skipro3 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The extra weight of heavier rated tires is not bearing down on axle or frame, so that is really not an issue. You may need to upgrade shocks and check your brakes due to the additional unsuspended weight and rolling forces.

The tire capacity is that load as measured where the tire is in contact with the road. That includes the weight of the tire. A tire with a capacity, say, of 3200 pounds can carry 3200 pounds where the tire meets the scale. Not subtracting the weight of the tire, it's included. So, a tire rated at 3200 pounds and weighs 100 pounds can carry another 3100 pounds onto the scale with it to total 3200 pounds.

Is that wrong?

Tires and rims are baring the entire scaled weight. The axle, suspension and frame are not bearing the weight of your wheels (tires + rims). Your suspension and joints will have different forces based on how much unsprung weight you trying to control.

I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ignore tire weight, ignore brake weight, ignore axle weight, ignore spring weight, ignore shock weight... If you ignore enough you get a couple thousand pounds' worth of payload back.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The extra weight of heavier rated tires is not bearing down on axle or frame, so that is really not an issue. You may need to upgrade shocks and check your brakes due to the additional unsuspended weight and rolling forces.

The tire capacity is that load as measured where the tire is in contact with the road. That includes the weight of the tire. A tire with a capacity, say, of 3200 pounds can carry 3200 pounds where the tire meets the scale. Not subtracting the weight of the tire, it's included. So, a tire rated at 3200 pounds and weighs 100 pounds can carry another 3100 pounds onto the scale with it to total 3200 pounds.

Is that wrong?

Bedlam

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Something not mentioned so far;
While upgrading tires or wheels is going to increase capacity, remember that those NEW components add to the total weight as well.

For example; the Nittos are gonna weigh more than those tires you have now. Keep that in the equation when you do the math.

Bedlam
I had good luck with Vision rims, DynaTrac tires and Wheel Rack Online store, but others have had issues with the store or the tires. Three years ago, I was able to get a four wheel package with the tires mounted and balanced on the rims and delivered to my door for $2k. My 18" tires were the same height as my 19.5's so the 18's became spares even though I never had use one.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to upgrade my 17" wheels also Where is the best place to get the tire and wheel pkg?

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Now I am reading that the factory TPMS will not work with the 19.5's...I need to get off the internet.............
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Bedlam
I know peak torque on your engine does not happen until 4500 RPM and peak horsepower is about 1000 RPM higher. You have to get that engine spinning to make the power. Whether you regear or not depends on how much you use the truck unladened. The 245/70R19.5's are the same height as the 275/70R18's offered by Ford, so they are not some overly tall tire although they are taller than your current ones.