cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Truck Camper and toad

mclainfarm
Explorer
Explorer

Our truck camper and toad,The camper is a 2014 Palomino and the smart is a 2009.We love the setup we have now and the smart is a really fun car to drive!

Mod this was supposed to be in the sticky with pics.
Dwayne
1999 FORD F350 DRW 7.3 DIESEL 240000 MILES
2014 Palomino truck camper
16 REPLIES 16

mclainfarm
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I actually meant to say the trailer has no brakes yet! I guess my mind was thinking of two things at once
Dwayne

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mclainfarm wrote:
The smart car weights 1800lbs. It doesn't have brakes now but I plan on adding them soon.

Wow...how do you stop...Fred Flintstone style?
I know those smart cars are bare bones...but no brakes...yikes!:W
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mclainfarm
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a aluma trailer 6810h with 3000lbs. capacity. The smart car weights 1800lbs. It doesn't have brakes now but I plan on adding them soon.
Dwayne

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, that sure looks like an Aluma trailer. My neighbor has one for his golf cart. I love the folding ramp, which makes less of a "wind sail"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
That is a nice trailer. My little 5x8 flat bed also runs a 3500 lb axle with no brakes, but is over 700 lbs empty due to the amount of steel and planking. It carries anything from a dune buggy to a touring motorcycle to a couple of scooters to a boat.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a Aluma trailer? If it is I have the same one. Mine is a 6810H. They are really light and nice trailers.

If his is like mine it weighs 490# and is a 3000# GVWR trailer but does have a 3500# axle under it. I installed brakes on mine so it is now rated for 3500# and this is per the factory. The axles come with backing plates for brakes to be added. Just need to add the backing plates and wire in the brakes and change the plug from 4 wire to 7 wire.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! I just bought a 1982 Honda Scooter (Cub)as my "toad" Plan is to install a hitch in the front of the truck and attach a "scooter" basket to carry it. This set up looks a lot better.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I like that car. The first time i saw a Smart was about 10 years ago. It was sitting on the fantail of a yacht. After he docked I watched the Captain hoist it to the dock. Cool set up!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Cool setup. How much do those cars weigh? I'm a bit surprised you can get away with that light duty of a trailer. I have a trailer like that an my quad seems to be a pretty good load for it lol
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

mclainfarm
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is all aluminum and weighs less than 500lbs.The reason we went with the tc is because we all ready had the truck.
Dwayne

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice rig but I thought the reason for going with a TC was because you did not need a toad? It would look even better behind my MH.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice setup.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Neat rig. What does the trailer weigh?

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
A little less "parking lot"
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."