cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outback vs Jayco vs Reflection

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
This is a repetitious question, but I want some advice of experienced owners and I think this is the right place.

My wife and I will be upgrading our camping rig in the next year from a 24' Grey Wolf to one of the following:

Outback (Keystone) 326RL

Jayco 330RSTS

Reflection (Grand Design) 315RLTS

All 3 are the same length and roughly the same weight.It all boils down to "little" things, such as minor details- such as:

Bed size - we prefer a queen size - Outback only offers a king size

Cabinet placement and amount of storage for clothes - the Reflection is the clear winner.

Warranty length - Outback is 1 yr, Jayco is 2 yrs, Reflection is 3 yrs.

Reputation of build quality.

Availability of dealers in the Memphis,TN area.

Note that all of the above are travel trailers. We will using a GMC Sierra w/ Duramax diesel to pull it, so power required or weight of the trailer will not be an issue. Fifth wheels are out due to both of us having knee issues and the fewer steps the better.
We are both still fairly new to this game and could use some good recommendations from any of you RV'ers who have been at this longer than us. Your advice and ideas are welcome.
19 REPLIES 19

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Whichever one doesn't have cable driven slide mechanism would be my choice. I'm partial to simple rack and pinion slide mechanism. Cables stretch and can be a pita to adjust or repair. Hydraulics can leak and solenoids can stick. Wife crawls around inside and I crawl around underneath. When we agree, we take it home. Beyond that, they're all pretty nice and they're all thrown together like bird's nests to get them to the lot asap.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
...On the Keystone look how the slide moves in and out. If using a cable a lot of reported problems by Keystone owners.

I'm just giving my experience and information about the camper I actually own here. But, my Outback has real wood cabinets (not particle board covered with wood looking wall paper like some of the lower end Keystone campers have) and the slides are on a gear and track system (whatever that's called).

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Colo Native. Grand Design by far has the best customer service of the 3. Will get you parts within 24hrs if emergency. They were just bought out by Winnebago late last year.

Their quality is also good. Real wood cabinets, higher rated tires, thoughtful deigns.

Jayco was also bought out mid 2106 (not sure by whom).

On the Keystone look how the slide moves in and out. If using a cable a lot of reported problems by Keystone owners.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with the Grand Design or the Jayco. But, before settling, take a look at the Keystone Outback 298RE.

We've had ours for over 3 years now. The basic floor plan has not changed in 5 years now. No problems at all with it at all, except for stupid things I've done myself (like turning on the water heater with no water in it, and forgetting to remove caned cola from the fridge and they exploded when temperatures got to -20 below zero (F). Tows wonderful, perfect for 2 people, Queen bed, with slide out closet, rear living room with opposing slides and outside camp stove and sink.

Ours came with a free standing table and chairs. We removed them and the 2 rocker chairs and replaced everything on that slide with a household style full 3 seater recliner couch. I put wheels on it, can turn it facing the rear window when the slides are out.

Also, everything is accessible when the slides are pulled in. We often use the camper with all slides in. Especially in the winter to help reduce the space to heat when we winter camp. We put a second television in the bed room, so don't need to depend on the one in the living room when slides are in.

We love this camper. If we ever lost it, I'd get another one just like it.

Your model has a larger slide which includes the kitchen, mine does not. Yours has a King bed in the slide, ours has the closet in the slide with a Queen bed walk around. Ours has a corner cabinet right by the door, yours has a cabinet by the refrigerator. Some differences, but still worth your time to take a look at the 298RE.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be
1.Grand Design
2. Jayco
3. Keystone there seems to be a lot of warranty issue brought here about them
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD