cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside LED Strip Lights

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking about adding some LED strip lights to the side of my TT under the awing, has anyone done this & if so what brand did you use?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
18 REPLIES 18

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I use a timer on my rope lights and also on my colored lights around Christmas season. I set the timers to turn on the lights just before sundown(whatever that is at that time of year) and turn off at 10:00PM(quiet time).
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Bonefish wrote:
...They are set on a timer too. ... Sharon

That is really great to hear. I use mine on a timer too. Actually I have about 4 timers. I got those after Christmas one year with the Christmas mark-down stuff. They can be set to run 2, 4, 6, 8 hours (and dusk to dawn), or "on" all the time. They turn on at dusk, off depending on your setting. Works REALLY nice, and set them for 2 hours to go off (after dusk), because usually by 10:00 pm, we are so exhausted, we're already in bed. The lights will turn off (on the longest day of the year), somewhere around 11:00 pm if set for 2 hours. We enjoy the light while we are still outside, and then everything goes dark after we go inside.

Those timers are absolutely GREAT! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that does it this way! Thanks Bonefish!

FYI, purchasing stuff like this after holidays is a GREAT way to get REALLY good bargains and save a LOT of money!

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as Dutchmensport in purchasing mine after the holidays. I have Christmas colored ones and white. We camp in places that I want light under the camper for mine & our dogs safety in other animals getting under the TT. I can also move them around to places needing light. Nearly had someone run in the back of the truck. They are set on a timer too.

Sharon

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if these will give a lot of lite at night...can some of you that have the LED's tell me what you think about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-T93007-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/B005EHHLD8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453130086&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+led+lights
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
H E R E is how I did mine, if you scroll down to the bottom of the post, there's mine and pictures of what I did, particularly for using the outside light by the door as the light connector. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm no electrical expert, but it wasn't difficult at all. I ordered my WATERPROOF strip from Amazon, it has a remote control with all sorts of colour combinations available, and the connector/adaptor part for the porch light, also from Amazon.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use outdoor waterproof LED's if you want them to continue to work.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sure can. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
I ordered mine off Amazon (Menards now has them too!). I put mine on last year and love them. I mounted them under the awning/gutter track. the hard part is figuring where to run the power to.

Can I run the power wire to the light that is mounted on the side of the trailer now?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered mine off Amazon (Menards now has them too!). I put mine on last year and love them. I mounted them under the awning/gutter track. the hard part is figuring where to run the power to.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
I went with the red, blue, green WATERPROOF strips available on eBay or amazon (they come also in a thinner non-waterproofed version). Comes with a remote that gives you lots of interesting options, including "white" when all come on together.

I deleted the porch light, using its 12v lines to power the LEDs. If you put it in the usual location, under the awning, make sure that you clean the site with a good solvent (acetone or paint thinner) before installing.

Same here setup here. Recommended and endorsed. $25 of fun. Just please be courteous in use.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Mine coachman came with a strip under the awning but its so close to the top that if the awning is not out they don't do any good. I did add another strip lower so it would work with awning up and used a led wifi controller that connects to my iphone to control it. No losing the remote that way.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
dtappy3353 wrote:
Gordon...Jeff's who at Amazon? Thank you.

Jeffrey Preston "Jeff" Bezos is an American technology entrepreneur and investor. He is a major player in the growth of e-commerce as the founder and CEO of Amazon

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the red, blue, green WATERPROOF strips available on eBay or amazon (they come also in a thinner non-waterproofed version). Comes with a remote that gives you lots of interesting options, including "white" when all come on together.

I deleted the porch light, using its 12v lines to power the LEDs. If you put it in the usual location, under the awning, make sure that you clean the site with a good solvent (acetone or paint thinner) before installing.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon...Jeff's who at Amazon? Thank you.