cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheated my brakes

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
Put new brakes on my camper today. Took it out for a drive to start seating in the new shoes. Seems I got a little over-zealous with using the brake controller manually and came home with the brakes smoking a little.

Lesson learned.

Now, do I need to replace the shoes or should I let them roll. They were still gripping great pulling into the subdivision.

All the Best,
D. WHite
9 REPLIES 9

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the drums this weekend. Shoes look fine, no cracks. No melted wires.Cleaned up the bearings and put Valvoline Dura-Blend Semi-Synthetic grease (500F drop point) in the bearings. Everything is back together. I put on a pair of "Bearing Buddies" too.

Thanks for all the feedback.

All the Best,
D. White

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
Think I am just going to replace the shoes and repack the bearings this weekend. Then I will be sure.

All the Best,
D. White

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
Think I am just going to replace the shoes and repack the bearings this weekend. Then I will be sure.

All the Best,
D. White

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
This was a drum and bac plate assembly from Norther Tool. Bearings were pre-packed with some red grease I assume to be lithium based. Nithing specific about it in the instructions.

They had a LOT of grease in them.

All the Best,
D. White

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
What type of grease was used ? It should not be seeping out.

dwhite60
Explorer
Explorer
Doing some research I'm pretty comfortable just leaving the brakes as is. Looks like the drivers side hub leaked a little grease through the bearing cap last night. Think this is a problem? How can I tell if the grease is shot?

All the Best,
D. White

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I wouldn't worry about it. Brakes get hot but after they cool they will work just fine.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Smoking could be normal, consult the instructions for your pads, shoes, discs, drums, etc.

I replaced all four discs and eight pads on my station wagon, and there was a fair bit of smoking during the break in. The instructions noted there may be some. The discs were coated with a LOT of oil, I did my best to scrub it off with Brakleen... and of course, a little dab of anti-sieze on the pads manages to get all over everything as I wrestle them into the clips.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed