cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palomino 1240 /F250 8' bed

mcaruso
Explorer
Explorer
Going to pick up a palomino 1240 to put in my brand new F250 long box. I'm new at this and have a few questions. Do I need to remove the tailgate? Currently it's in a short bed truck with the tailgate on obviously it down. The second is it a good idea to put down a bed mat? Like the ones they sell at Tractor Supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated heading out tomorrow morning.
Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stall mats are not needed unless you need clearance. In which case, foam under a bed mat will accomplish the same or more and weigh less. Easy to figure if you have cab to overhead clearance before you go.
Yes get a bed mat.
Yes leave the tailgate home, you can decide later if you can or want to leave it on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a rubber mat is a good idea. Having gone with a 3/4" stall mat and struggled with it too, I think a thinner mat like the Dee Zee is a good start. And if you need more height, go for the structural rated foam sheets under the mat.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the horse mat nice thick material. Weighs about 100 lbs. After wrestling that around a few times I bought a dee zee mat that Weighs about 30 lbs.

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put a piece of structural closed cell foam on the floor. It comes in 4x8' sheets. I have 4" thick but that is my choice as I needed some height as I have lights on my cab roof.
Inexpensive and light weight. In a TC weight is important.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Definitely get the rubber mat it keeps things from sliding around. As far as your Palomino, good luck with it I have never seen one but I would think you would want to leave your tailgate home as it is another 70 pounds. Good luck fellow Truck camper and welcome!

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Leave yor tailgate at home.
On the pictures of the 1240 I have seen, it has little side skirts wrapping around the truck's taillights.
If your camper doesn't have these and you are able to close the tailgate (which I personally doubt), you can still put it back on and see how you like it.

A rubber / stable mat under the camper is not a bad idea. I am sure more people will chime in.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bed mat is always a good idea IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad