cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak brand back up camera

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
While in Tractor Supply yesterday, I noticed the Peak brand back up camera was on clearance for $80, normally $105. Thought I'd give it a try. It's wireless and pretty easy to install.

Initially, I was going to use it just for a backup camera to get under the trailer coupler the first time when I hitch up, but then after I read it's effective transmitter range of 197', I thought maybe I'd try to hook it up so it's moveable to the rear of the trailer for use as a rearview system while travelling and backing.

I called the tech line for some clarification and was told the number was exaggerated. It's more like 15' !!!! Now I'm not sure if it will make it to the rear of the pickup bed, much less the rear of the trailer.

Anybody have any experience with this unit? If it's that poor of a product, I'm not sure I want to mess with it at all.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
7 REPLIES 7

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
so the effective range went from 197' to 15'???
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Peak wireless camera with 7 inch monitor I use as an extra "rear view mirror".

I mounted the camera on a bracket in the rear window of my TT and the monitor is on the dash of my tow vehicle. The camera transmitter with the little antenna sits above the top of the rear window valance. My TT is 24' ball to bumper and has a window in the front. If the metal blinds in that window are raised I get a good picture of what is directly behind me. Yes, it does drop out from time to time.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
While in Tractor Supply yesterday, I noticed the Peak brand back up camera was on clearance for $80, normally $105. Thought I'd give it a try. It's wireless and pretty easy to install.

Anybody have any experience with this unit? If it's that poor of a product, I'm not sure I want to mess with it at all.

I used a Peak wireless camera system for several years when towing our previous Spree travel trailer and although I set it up for a variety of views I decided it was essentially useless for anything but hitching up. The angle of view is almost fisheye so when used as a rearview camera it really gives the wrong impression of what's behind the trailer, especially on the highway where cars I thought were at a considerable distance were suddenly right on top of me and zoomimg by. :E When used for backing into a campsite or my driveway it couldn't handle the contrast ratio between light and dark areas of the picture well at all so the view was either blown out or so dark I couldn't see anything. Same for mounting it on the side of the trailer - essentially useless. Transmission as you've noted wasn't particularly good, 'though by mounting the camera inside our Spree, facing the camera out the rear window, and mounting the separate transmitter box further forward in the trailer I did manage reliable transmission to the monitor in the truck. However, for hitching up a wireless rear view camera is IMO essential and I wouldn't be without one so when my Peak camera suddenly died last year I replaced it with a Swift Hitch SH02. Both the camera and the monitor are self powered and don't require any wiring to the vehicle at all and although the monitor is somewhat small it does have an additional output that can be plugged into a larger monitor, in my case the Peak monitor I already owned. For sure, the Swift Hitch system isn't inexpensive but it's definitely a much better quality system.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
If the camera has a tiny wire antenna it will not work because these cheap wireless transmitter only work for about 15-20 feet. You can buy a wireless system with solid antenna for about $ 120-140. Make sure the system transmit on 2.4 ghz (Gigahertz) at a minimum of 150 feet. I went trough the same problem last year and finally wised up and now use a system with solid antenna and 2.4ghz transmission. System works great.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Wireless networks in the immediate area are what cause a wireless camera to not function as well as wired.

I can offer a suggestion, although in part it defeats the purpose of a wireless system. By moving the transmitter as close as possible to the monitor will solve most if not all problems. I cut & spliced both the camera cable & power cable making each one longer. My wireless transmitter is now within 5' of the monitor & everything works perfect.
I ran the cables along the frame rail of my truck using wire loom & up between the bed & cab.

just a thought 😉
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater,
No experience with the Peak unit, but I had no luck with the wireless unit I first tried.

I have since installed a wired backup camera in my truck and it works great...It was an easy install.

This is what I went with...Great for every day parking and backing up and even better for hitching up by myself.

LINK

Open up the link and scroll down to watch the videos...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Try it out and see how far it will work.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"