cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic Jack Stand

zparnell
Explorer
Explorer

My camper weighs less than 5000 lbs. Guess what? I will not be buying another one of these jack stands.
2006 Wildwood 31BH
1988 Skyline Nomad
2000 Ford F250 Supercab 7.3
31 REPLIES 31

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
zparnell wrote:
romore wrote:
When it comes to jacks and jack stands I will not cheap out. Safety first.

Yes you guys are right. Should not have bought the plastic. It feel pretty heavy duty and is over a 1/4 in. thick. I should have known better.
What do you think of the flip down feet?

My camper came with one of those flip down feet. (fastway Flip) Although it was nice not having to crank the jack stand down all the way, I found myself camping on more hilly terrain then level. It says right in the manual not to use on inclines.

I ended up just taking the thing off when i got my power jack.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
orangemoon wrote:
that red cone is a POS. one trip on light travel trailer,and it already showing signs of too much weight on it. I dont even trust it....it's going into the tag sale bin, and I'll just stick to blocks.

It's funny how TTs can have lots of fancy features and lots of bling costing lots of $$, but the "standard" method around campgrounds for something under a tongue jack seems to be a few pieces of left over scrap lumber from home... There's got to be a better way!

You bet!

Cut the scrap piece of lumber in a round circle, paint it bright orange then claim it cost you $50! Heck you might wish to make a few extras to sell to the folks who are looking for the next expensive "gadget"..

You could even make a "deluxe" version for more money by adding a couple of $.50 "levels" on the painted round block of wood!

Honestly though this is a place where failure is NOT "an option", a plain old block of wood is as simple as it gets and not to mention extremely sturdy.

There is no need for fancy plastic "cones" to put under a tongue.

Orange "cones" are for "traffic control" not tongue control..

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
orangemoon wrote:
that red cone is a POS. one trip on light travel trailer,and it already showing signs of too much weight on it. I dont even trust it....it's going into the tag sale bin, and I'll just stick to blocks.

It's funny how TTs can have lots of fancy features and lots of bling costing lots of $$, but the "standard" method around campgrounds for something under a tongue jack seems to be a few pieces of left over scrap lumber from home... There's got to be a better way!

orangemoon
Explorer
Explorer

buyyouabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used that brand (Valterra) and thought it was kind of flimsy. Changed over to this one at CW on a recommend from these forums; completely different and very stout.

Linky

Cheers,

Derrick

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
i've always used a chunk of 6" X 8" wood and a piece of 2 X 6 X 10" for under it. the 2" absorbs the mud and grit while the 6x8 ad the height. I don't know how high as it varies T to TT.T
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic has its uses and it place but it ain't gonna' be holding anything heavy around my house.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
zparnell wrote:
No, trailer has not rolled off and twisted the stand. It must just be a defective piece. I have had the camper on it for several months and exposed to the sun. Plastics sometimes do not handle ultraviolent rays too well and I probably should have had it on the wood blocks while stored at home. That's pretty much all I know to say about the failure. My Nomad only weighs 4800lbs and there is no way the tongue weight ever approached 10,000 lbs.

You certainly did nothing wrong. It doesn't need to be stored out of the sun when not used.

Must be defective.

Ours has been used, and exposed to the sun, full time, for 9 years now, without a problem. Ours was bright yellow when we started but now it is slightly faded.

I like them. The first one was going strong after five years of use and went with my previous trailer when sold.

I would be willing to bet the manufacturer would be interested in this situation.

Yes,call the manufacturer and explain what happened.

I bet they send you another one, and probably ask for the old one back so they can see what happened.

Steve

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
zparnell wrote:
No, trailer has not rolled off and twisted the stand. It must just be a defective piece. I have had the camper on it for several months and exposed to the sun. Plastics sometimes do not handle ultraviolent rays too well and I probably should have had it on the wood blocks while stored at home. That's pretty much all I know to say about the failure. My Nomad only weighs 4800lbs and there is no way the tongue weight ever approached 10,000 lbs.

You certainly did nothing wrong. It doesn't need to be stored out of the sun when not used.

Must be defective.

Ours has been used, and exposed to the sun, full time, for 9 years now, without a problem. Ours was bright yellow when we started but now it is slightly faded.

I like them. The first one was going strong after five years of use and went with my previous trailer when sold.

I would be willing to bet the manufacturer would be interested in this situation.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
A nice 4"x6" block of wood is perfect. Double nicely as a jack stand if you ever need to jack up the trailer and change a tire in an awkward spot.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

zparnell
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Wildwood 31BH
1988 Skyline Nomad
2000 Ford F250 Supercab 7.3

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 that was my first thought also.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I have been using one for about the past 10 or 15 years without trouble. My tongue weight is right around 1300lbs.
Barney

X2 I wonder if maybe the trailer rolled and the jack twisted it and broke it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using one for about the past 10 or 15 years without trouble. My tongue weight is right around 1300lbs.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine