Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

popup camper VS TT

mwang
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks

Have been camping in a class C motorhome in the past and it was a blast. Now that I have families, wanted to get back to the camping world. I was looking at A frame camper.
a forest river A122 SB costs about $15000 CND in my area (Listed price)
On the other hand, a jayco jay feather x213 cost around $24000 CND (Listed price)

I understand Pros and Cons of either, but it just seems that a TT is way more metal for money. Any reason for this?

They are both vacuum bounded, Please straighten me out.
16 REPLIES 16

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a huge parking spot at home and plan on driving a hulking truck for your daily driver indefinitely then the TT is a better value.

But if you have or plan to have a minivan or crossover instead of a pickup, live in a 1/4 acre subdivision lot or even if you expect to cover lots of miles on long adventures, the pup is worth a look.

We LOVE that the popup waits patiently and nearly immortally for us in the garage out of the weather and that we can tow it well with careful outfitting of the minivan we had anyways. 19mpg freeway towing doesn't hurt either.

But do be aware that a popup really isn't an RV. It's the world's greatest tent. If you're good with that, you'll love it. If you want an RV that magically shrinks down, you won't like the compromises.

mwang
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys
You brought up a very important point: used for travel vs used for camping. I'll be using it for camping, sound like I'll go with the PUP.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Not everyone wants to drive/own a vehicle that has the capability to tow a high walled RV.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
mwang wrote:
Hi Folks

They are both vacuum bounded, Please straighten me out....

MWang,

I need help with this. Being from the states I have no idea what this means.

I also agree with the apples and oranges post. If you have used a class C motorhome you might be more aligned with the TT that the PU. I had a PU for 17 years as our two daughters grew up. We loved it and never worried about bathrooms, storage or anything like that. We camped out and enjoyed the openess of a pop up.

As we aged and the kids went off to college our plans and habits changed. We were going to do more traveling with the trailer and not as much camping. The up and down set up became problematic as did the need for a bathroom, shower and a permanent bed.

So, a TT and a PU will fit people differently. Decide what your style and choose accordingly.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have both. Tt and pup. Pup is off-season boondocking with one or two trips per year in summer or only small sites available. Kind of versatility needed to enjoy the hobby solo or with my daughters.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
find a used hi-lo. I was not thrilled with the trail manor setup myself.
bumpy

mwang
Explorer
Explorer
wow. thanks for all your input! this gotta be the most active RV forum I've ever been. i have wife and a 3 year old son. My tow vehicle has max towing of 9600lbs at my cab/bed configuration. The 24ft jayco I mentioned is around 4300lbs unloaded and that would make a performance tow. the A frame will fit into my garage which is a big plus (no sotorage fee). and needless to say all the creature comforts offered by a TT. I'd most likely spend 2-3 weeks camping annually and don't see that changing in the next few years. maybe some long weekend trips also (i suppose owning one will make this more often)

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at a Trailmanor as well.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my TT I kept my PUP, it has a Queen bed and Double bed and can sleep all the grandkids. I can squeeze it into a lot of spots at various events, I get almost twice the gas mileage and it is paid for.

Rolling down the road for extended periods of time, getting out of bed on your side, full bath, closets and pantry plus easy set up; make my TT a real treasure.

Not likely to part with either anything soon.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Aliner Expedition and, as has been mentioned, it suits my style of camping, presently. I love its low tow profile and light weight.

Only I use it, so it's perfectly suitable, but I expect to move to a TT with the next purchase as I intend to change my style of camping. At that point, my kids will have reached adulthood and I won't have to spend my weekends attending sports events, so I'll be looking to spend more time camping and traveling further to do it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
does the A frame have a decent usable bathroom? or do you have to pull out a portapot in the middle of the night?

bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The A-FRAME roof arrangement sure does cut down on walk-in head room... Can't really move around much inside one...

I have been running our off-road POPUP trailer since 2008 and it fits the two of us just fine with this style of camping. We are more RV Campers verses RV Travelers... Two totally different worlds haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I find it somewhat odd to compare apples & oranges!
IMO you need to do a lot more research and limit your search.

You don't mention your TV. Are you planning on using one you own or buy to fit the TT you want.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a jayco A-Frame pop up that had an issue with the dometic heat pump/AC. After 4 attempts to repair it and not succeeding the dealer bought it bback at full purchase price and we bought a KZ TT.

I liked the A-Frame but definitely prefer the TT.

Coolmom summed the A-Frame up pretty well.