cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators...What brand?

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I am looking to purchase a portable inverter generator. Want one to run my Lance TC with a 11,000 BTU Dometic penguin roof AC. Now the AC unit on my Lance runs off a regular outlet in my garage with 30 to 15 amp adaptor and extension chord. I know the best choice is the Honda 2000i or a Yamaha EF 2000iS but has any fellow TCers owned or used any of the other less expensive brands like the Hyundai hy2000si 2200 watt, the Champion 73531i 2000 watt inverter, the Powerhouse ph21pri 2100 watt inverter, which I think camping world sells, or the Kipor Ig 2000 watt generator.
33 REPLIES 33

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 75531i 3100 watt inverter/generator from Overstock.com. Only paid $673.

Powers up 13,500 air conditioner without any problems. Can also run tv, computers, coffee pot and electric on hot water tank.

Is extremely comparable in noise to Honda 3k.

Champion starts with 1 pull.

Just my opinion.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
OH yea forgot to say the penguin did run fine on the onan 2500 k gen the camper came with but I sold that too , used to much propane

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Penguin 11000 on my 97`lance legend 500 , Honda 2000 a my house @ 2800 ft elv would not run it , would start it sometimes , but after head pressure built up in the compressor the Honda breaker would pop, that was with no convertor or anything else running
Tried a supco spp6e, helped a little , but still would not run
The penguin is 13.7 amps total if I remember, I sold it for 350.00
The new mach 8 cub is 11.7 total
The polar cub with R-410a Freon was 11.5 total
The old good polar cub "D" series was 8.9 total
You need a bigger gen , to run your AC
I changed my AC to a new colman mach 1 power saver
Its 9.5 total, it runs well in eco mode at elevation and with the converter on , its as low an amp one made now, but its not low profile

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
What it boils down to:

Red: Known quantity, does the job, but expensive.

Blue: 20% smaller engine, good quality, tad cheaper, but still pricy.

Yellow: No luck, due to smaller engine.

Kipor: This sounds interesting, as I've always lumped them with the no-name vendors. If they have this good a service, they might be an alternative to Champion. I'd like to read more (both good and bad) about them.

No-name: A lottery. You can get something from China that runs just as good as red/blue, or you can get something that is DOA, and because parts are generally impossible to come by, you lost everything.

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Honda EU2000i's. At lower elevations (Louisiana, Texas, Florida) one generator will run my 11K AC if I kill power to everything but the AC. At any elevation over 5K feet, it takes both generators to power the AC. At Yellowstone, it took both generators just to run the microwave. Running just one of the Honda's would overload and shut off power.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I found this online. I have the exact Dometic model AC.

There is also a big difference between ACs. For example, at one time the lowest current roof top AC was the Coleman Polar Cub 9200 BTU unit. Now, Dometic makes a 11,000 BTU model that has a lower start & run current:

From the Manufacturer's websites:

Polar Cub 9200:
Locked rotor (starting amps) 58.4
Running amps cooling - 11.5
Running Heating amps - 13.75

Dometic Penguin 11000 Model 600312.321:
Locked Rotor (Starting amps) 53
Running amps cooling 9.5
Running Heating amps - 12.7

Also the FLA is 8.8 and LRA fan motor is 3.1 That's what is confusing. I see posts online that rv owners run their 13,500 btu with a Honda 2000 specifically one lance owner with no hardstart capacitor?? He stated he starts with eco mode off and runs AC on cold setting so it does not cycle much and has had no problems? Hoping that size would work since my AC unit runs on low, medium, and high now plugged into regular garage outlet with 30/15 adapter and 15 amp extension chord. Had a 13,500 btu AC on another TC that would NOT run off garage outlet and same chord combo.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
Ok I am looking to purchase a portable inverter generator. Want one to run my Lance TC with a 11,000 BTU Dometic penguin roof AC. Now the AC unit on my Lance runs off a regular outlet in my garage with 30 to 15 amp adaptor and extension chord. I know the best choice is the Honda 2000i or a Yamaha EF 2000iS but has any fellow TCers owned or used any of the other less expensive brands like the Hyundai hy2000si 2200 watt, the Champion 73531i 2000 watt inverter, the Powerhouse ph21pri 2100 watt inverter, which I think camping world sells, or the Kipor Ig 2000 watt generator.

You will need 3000 WATTS INSTANTANEOUSLY whenever your A/C goes into and initial compressor motor start cycle, possibly MORE for subsequent compressor motor starts if any level of head pressure is still present.

A non-inverter genset, already "at speed, RPM" often has trouble with this requirement, and an inverter, RPM = load, will ALWAYS have problems.

You need at least 3000W, and that, INSTANTANEOUS, with a compressor motor start sequence.

Search this forum for "Time Delay Relay"

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm actually curious if the Yamaha has as much grunt when pushed as the Honda. The Honda has a 100cc engine whereas the Yamaha is 80cc. The size of the engine probably doesn't matter much usually but I wonder if it would at the higher end of it's rating.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Therein lies the rub.

You can take a chance on a cheaper generator that may or may not start your AC, and may or may not be acceptably quiet.

OR

You can buy the Honda or Yamaha now, and *KNOW* 100% that it will meet both criteria.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
That is my concern as well. I figured that a 2000 watt generator would run a Dometic penguin 11,000 btu since it runs off my regular house plug in the garage with 15 amp extension chord. I am also impressed with this penguin model. It is very quiet when running. can hardly hear it outside camper when ac is running. One review on the Hyundai 2200 says it runs his 13,500 btu roof top AC with no hard start capacitor. Does home depot or Lowes rent inverter generators? I could test one before purchase.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
My recent experience Link was that my Champion wouldn't start my A/C but I purchased a Honda and it was able to start it in eco mode.

Moral of the story is that not all 2000 watt generators are equal.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
A Honda 2000 will run a 9200 but don't know if it has the power to run an 11000 you might need a bit more generator
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is no dealer in the State Kipor will sell you parts at their cost. They may sell you an entire rig at their price also.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes back in 2011 bought a used shadow cruiser and owner gave me a kipor with the deal. It was a 2400 or 2600 watt model that i believe they changed model now. It ran great and quiet too. Carb needed an adjustment and took it to local generator repair shop and owner fixed it for 60.00 bucks. He was impressed how quiet it was even though he never had experience with kipor. Thanks for input.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had my Kipor for seven years and like it very well. I did have a control mod. go out, I contacted Kipor in Oregun, I think, and it was seven dollars. Honda's are about $125.