cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Practical Caravan (British Mag) 2013 Tow Car Awards

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting video of "family vehicles" being tested as tow vehicles. "Practical, easy to live with, and great to drive every day". These are sedans, wagons, and small SUV's - not trucks.

This is a British Magazine video, so the vehicles may differ from North American versions. The "caravans" used in the testing are very different single axle hard-sided campers (not pop-ups) from N/A models too - more like fiberglass Airstreams.

You will have to go to the website to get actual performance details for the vehicles tested. This video is just an overview of how they were tested.

I thought it was pretty cool, but I understand that the "real" tow vehicle (truck) guys and gals would not be interested. I'm OK with that and they don't need to watch it and waste their time.

Practical Caravan Testing Video
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)
26 REPLIES 26

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Caddywhompus wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Did I hear right- did that fellow say that they were testing all the cars towing loads that were 85% of total tug weight? That's pretty impressive...

Such a different world! Not just the tugs, either. Trailer design is so different over there.
A few years back, the Subaru Forester was "Towcar of the year". You know, the car you said was completely incapable of towing because the OEM hitch sucks.

:h

No- I'm the one that contradicted you when you posted that simply putting a "heavier" aftermarket hitch on a Forester (or any other vehicle) will increase its towing capacity.

I'm also the one that contradicted you when YOU maintained that the factory hitch on the Forester "sucks", as you so elegantly put it. Subaru's OEM hitch is in every way superior to aftermarket product, as I illustrated with pictures in t'other thread.

If you'd care to review that discussion and refresh your memory, here's the link
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Caddywhompus
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Did I hear right- did that fellow say that they were testing all the cars towing loads that were 85% of total tug weight? That's pretty impressive...

Such a different world! Not just the tugs, either. Trailer design is so different over there.
A few years back, the Subaru Forester was "Towcar of the year". You know, the car you said was completely incapable of towing because the OEM hitch sucks.
  • '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Pop up Tom wrote:
I checked into the weights of those caravans tested, and they are very light. Similar to fiberglass egg campers and Airstreams. (Also very expensive by our standards.) The weights are in the same range as our typical pop-up. I was impressed by how well those cars handled the emergency lane-change tests. I bet a lower center of gravity for a family sedan vs. a pickup truck has a lot to do with it. They also loaded the campers at floor level, not in upper cabinets, which should also mimic the handling of a pop-up.

It makes it much easier to get a suitable tow vehicle as so much choice is available. The interiors are vastly better than a Egg Camper or IMHO an Airstream. As well you get a light Caravan that can be 25ft long and can be very strong

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
I checked into the weights of those caravans tested, and they are very light. Similar to fiberglass egg campers and Airstreams. (Also very expensive by our standards.) The weights are in the same range as our typical pop-up. I was impressed by how well those cars handled the emergency lane-change tests. I bet a lower center of gravity for a family sedan vs. a pickup truck has a lot to do with it. They also loaded the campers at floor level, not in upper cabinets, which should also mimic the handling of a pop-up.
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
Nice rig Ryan. Thnxs for posting. It is amazing they can do it with the low tech connection systems. At least here in Canada the use of WDH's are such an upgrade.

Somewhat big debate about the use of WDH's here.
WDH Debate amongst Caravanners

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Such a different world!

FK, I'm surprised you haven't heard of cars towing trailers before.:)

In Europe, Australia, Canada, cars have been towing trailers since the inception of trailering. After viewing the video listed above you can see why. They perform so well.

:h

I use a "car" to tow my trailer. A '97 Kia Sportage, maximum TC is about 63% of tug curb weight. Before that I had a '65 Ford Falcon, and before THAT, a Plymouth Duster- forget what year that one was. Newer than the Falcon, as I recall.

My post was just marveling at the 85% of curb weight trailers being used for the road tests above. Really impressive.

I'm pret-ty, pretty sure my Kia couldn't do that unless on flat ground with a stiff tailwind, not to mention some cheater springs in the back!;)

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

Francesca remember the outcry on these forums about a car towing a 4000lb European Caravan and it could not been done?
Baily Pamplona 25ft, 4,400lb towed by car.
These are the only tow vehicles they use in Europe. No Pickups except for the very rare European 5th Wheelers.

Nice rig Ryan. Thnxs for posting. It is amazing they can do it with the low tech connection systems. At least here in Canada the use of WDH's are such an upgrade.

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Such a different world!

FK, I'm surprised you haven't heard of cars towing trailers before.:)

In Europe, Australia, Canada, cars have been towing trailers since the inception of trailering. After viewing the video listed above you can see why. They perform so well.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Yep, how long will it take for us to get the idea? Maybe we'll wait for the Japanese and Chinese manufacturers and then the competition will begin and we too can have something modern and technologically advanced.

Funny, they call Europe the "Old World", maybe it's backwards.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Francesca remember the outcry on these forums about a car towing a 4000lb European Caravan and it could not been done?
Baily Pamplona 25ft, 4,400lb towed by car.
These are the only tow vehicles they use in Europe. No Pickups except for the very rare European 5th Wheelers.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
The Skoda Octavia is the winner, a Czech car not available in the USA. Guess we'll just have to settle for using the Beemer. 😉
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi