cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Probably Going To The Dark Side

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years the only RV's I've ever owned have been Truck Campers. Heck the first hint of non-tent camping was in my '75 Chevy pickup that had a shell on the back. I love the convenience, size and the fact that the truck/camper can go anywhere I want it to. But the reality of aging keeps smacking me (us) up side the head every time we camp now. It gets harder and harder to make the climb up and down the bed ladder (especially as many times as I have to pee at night now) and with the east/west bed arrangement, climbing over each other in the middle of the night is not near as fun as we once used to make it ๐Ÿ˜‰ We've had the conversation for the last two years and we always have it when we camp with friends who have fifth wheels. I think we're finally going to pull the trigger and start the ball rolling much to my saddened heart. I love a truck camper - but were looking to go to a fifth wheel. Since I still like to camp and bring the motorcycle(s) it most likely has to be a toy hauler of some sort. And so the search begins!

Of course the Outfitter Apex 8 is functioning just perfectly right now with the new all electric Danfoss compressor refrigerator, the upgraded solar to 260W, the new electric dump valves, new converter, etc. It's always that way. Just when you get something up and going perfectly, BAM - let's make a change!

I'm rambling here but I needed a place to look for even a bit of sympathy - I do this kicking and screaming. Well - here goes nothing!
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED
45 REPLIES 45

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this thread has pretty much ran out of constructive discussion. I will close it.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I try to make decisions that I do not have to hide or apologize for later but mostly just follow this advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

Excellent advice.

sf3291
Explorer
Explorer
996Pilot wrote:

Of course the Outfitter Apex 8 is functioning just perfectly right now with the new all electric Danfoss compressor refrigerator, the upgraded solar to 260W, the new electric dump valves, new converter, etc. It's always that way. Just when you get something up and going perfectly, BAM - let's make a change!

I've seen one other outfitter in the SD area...actually within a couple miles of me. Wonder if that is you? I'm technically La Mesa and the other one is about 1 mile east of me.

Anyway, if you have any insight as to how /who replaced your electric dump valves...I'd be interested. I have a 2007 (N/S cabover though) and it seems like my electric dump valves are getting long in the tooth based on the noises they make when I operate them these days....
2007.5 Dodge 6.7L 3500 SRW, SWB 4x4
2007 Outfitter Apex 8

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on sliding into death completely worn out, rather then pristine. I wouldn't trade these aches and pains for a lesser life experience. JMO
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
Many times I type out a huge response and then just don't post it, better for all concerned.

Hahaha....with ya there
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photomike wrote:
Many times I type out a huge response and then just don't post it, better for all concerned.

You didn't this time. ๐Ÿ˜›

mike/kellie wrote:
Keytag wrote:
Giving advice always have high probability to backfire at you

The safest way is to offer advice only when asked and relevant to the topic. Nowadays, it's referred to "don't hit send"

We all live by different principals.
One will live by Greek Mythology, other will quote Confucius.
From what I learn in different cultures -all wisdom can be useful in 1 situation and not apply in other.
I have 2 campers with almost identical bathrooms. On 1 the door opens forward, on other to the rear. Which is correct way?
WHO GIVES >>> they both get the job done.
Some avoid any confrontation, I am a fighter, when I know my opinion has merit, I can discuss it till somebody will talk me otherwise or we "agree to disagree".
In this case OP did not appreciate the advise.
But I see indications others did. Will OP come back to the idea after some time and use it?
I can only hope so, but frankly WHO GIVES?

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keytag wrote:
Giving advice always have high probability to backfire at you

The safest way is to offer advice only when asked and relevant to the topic. Nowadays, it's referred to "don't hit send"
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
I observe too much of this on the forums and try to avoid getting involved with those individuals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish life was that simple. Giving advice always have high probability to backfire at you, but you know a jerk when he avoids the subject and starts personal attacks

Bedlam
I try to make decisions that I do not have to hide or apologize for later but mostly just follow this advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
I have lived longer than my grandfather, so that's a positive sign...

I think there is a line of good karma behind you as well-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
The men in my family history have a hard time making it past their late 70's - I can only hope I make it that far. We have a good fiend in his late 90's who still bicycles and kayaks and puts us youngsters to shame, so I know there are no absolutes. I have lived longer than my grandfather, so that's a positive sign...

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 Observations:

I tell my DW that working construction is like having a gym membership but getting paid to go. I did framing yesterday followed by drywall. I was whipped by the end of the day.

We have friends our age, one can walk about 50 feet using a cane. The other runs marathons. Luck of the draw? Good genes? Good living? Beats me.

We went to the dark side as well: a small Class C --- the next best thing to a truck camper. Has the op considered that instead of a 5er?
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm