cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem installing dual battery box

bogen2
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 2 new 6V batteries and a dual battery box. But unfortunately the box is just slightly wider than the angle iron rails on the tongue so it doesn't fit (maybe 1/4" too wide). I considered trying to spread them with force to make enough room, but I doubt they will bend enough without compromising the welds.

I also thought about screwing a 2x10 wood block in between the rails and mounting the box to that, but I'm worried about the effect of a panic stop on those heavy batteries - I sure don't want them to come loose.

Anyone have an idea on how to mount this?
2014 Ford F150 SuperCrew - 4WD, MaxTow, HD Payload, Ecoboost
2010 Jayco Jayflight G2 23FB w/ Reese Dual Cam WD hitch
190w solar, 1000w PSW inverter, Prostar PWM controller
12 REPLIES 12

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Leaf-Peeper wrote:
bogen2 wrote:
... unfortunately the box is just slightly wider than the angle iron rails on the tongue so it doesn't fit (maybe 1/4" too wide)...

Maybe consider a pair of regular 6v battery boxes instead of that particular dual battery box.

What my current trailer has.

Used a dual battery Century box on my earlier one.

And yes, just bolt the new box to a wood insert.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

bogen2
Explorer
Explorer
RJCorazza wrote:
I installed (2) 6v batteries using a box made by Century Plastics. Off the shelf 6v boxes were too wide for my trailer battery supports, the white Century Box fit perfectly.

That is the box I bought too, but on my Jayco its just a bit too wide. I'm tempted to just cut off the vertical part of the rear angle iron, but after reading the comments will probably go with the 2x10.
2014 Ford F150 SuperCrew - 4WD, MaxTow, HD Payload, Ecoboost
2010 Jayco Jayflight G2 23FB w/ Reese Dual Cam WD hitch
190w solar, 1000w PSW inverter, Prostar PWM controller

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I installed (2) 6v batteries using a box made by Century Plastics. Off the shelf 6v boxes were too wide for my trailer battery supports, the white Century Box fit perfectly.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same problem _ I made a 2x10 " box " that sets in the existing angle tray with the top of the new box the same height as top of tongue . Then secured a 2 x 10 the width of the dual battery box . Been there 3 years and many thousands of miles as we travel 100 days per year . Its bolted and lag screwed and ain't moved yet .
Two six volts is the way to go !

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
bogen2 wrote:
... unfortunately the box is just slightly wider than the angle iron rails on the tongue so it doesn't fit (maybe 1/4" too wide)...

Maybe consider a pair of regular 6v battery boxes instead of that particular dual battery box. Otherwise, I'd grind off the welds on one rail and re-weld it (I realize you probably would have already done this if you had a welder, but isn't there always a neighbor or co-worker that has a welder that could help you out?)
'05 Chevy Tahoe & โ€™08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would bolt a piece of wood inside the existing frame (your idea #2) and then bolt the battery box to the piece of wood. If you are still concerned about the batteries moving (I would not be) then put a belt or strap around the whole thing.

I had to do the same thing. Here is a picture of mine. You can't see the piece of wood but it is there! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are definitely not restricted to the inside of the trailer tongue. I mounted angle pieces on top of my trailer tongue and they extended 8-10 inches out on both side of the tongue.

Bolted down my larger battery box with both sides sticking out beyond the two trailer tongue frames...

I will be mounting a 48-inch metal tool box on my OFF-ROAD TRAILER Frame to hold four each GC2 6V Golf cart batteries. It will look something like this

My present three each mounted GP24 Interstate batteries

My new 48-inch tool box mount will look something like this sticking out on both sides of the trailer tongue.

Photo from Google Images

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could remove the angle lip on the angle iron on each end and let the box hang over a little bit. Very little side to side forces when towing, mostly front to back force. Bolt the box down securely and it won't go anywhere.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Keep one the way it should be and put the other front to back . I reworked the angle brackets and added 2 more angles going front to back .

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
12v vs 6v batteries
More 12v vs 6
12v vs 6v 2010
Why 2 6?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fastfwd75 wrote:
Why do people get 2x6v instead of 1x12v? Is there some efficiency/duration gain or price advantage?

for a true comparison, compare 2x6v to 2x12v.
bumpy

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people get 2x6v instead of 1x12v? Is there some efficiency/duration gain or price advantage?
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30