cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New guy and new (to me) camper

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I just wanted to say hi and post a picture of my new (to me) Lance 815.

I have had other kinds of campers since childhood (popup, TTs from 16-25', 5ers, tents, etc.). This is my first truck camper and my gf and I bought it because we want to be able to go anywhere my 4wd truck can go and still park. Hopefully since it's just the two of us, a smaller camper works out. I have had my Ram since new (it's an 05) but the search for a camper made me wish for both a long bed AND dual rear wheels (which my truck has neither). It is a 1 ton though, so at least I had some flexibility with payload.

Here's a pic of truck and camper:

First trip should be soon.
13 REPLIES 13

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
With a Lance 815, you shouldn't need 19.5's. Lance markets those campers for use on 1/2 ton trucks!

My camper weighs over 2200 lbs. empty. Marketing or not, many 3/4 ton trucks lack the capacity to carry that much if they have diesel engines and 4wd. It is hot in New Mexico and heat is tough on tires. Overloading isn't smart out here. I wanted all of the capacity I could get without impractical compromises. Also, I may tow trailer with up to 1k of tongue weight with the camper on.

I'm in Las Cruces.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes your tires are Fine. I'm hauling close to twice the weight with similar rated Toyos. 3950lb cap tires with no problems at all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
With a Lance 815, you shouldn't need 19.5's. Lance markets those campers for use on 1/2 ton trucks!

X2 no need for 19.5s for a lance 815.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome:) where in NM are you?
2006 Dodge Quad 2500/4X4/SWB/CTD/Auto
2013 Lance 825
Rancho 9000XLs Firestone Bags
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara Auto 6cyl

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Camper is a 2003.

I don't intend to do any really rough off roading with the camper on, but I do like the fact that I can hit sand/gravel roads if necessary to explore out in the middle of nowhere.

I am running the Nitto Terra Grapplers in LT285/70R17E, which are rated for 3,750 lbs a piece. I strongly considered going to 19.5s, but they are heavy and hard. They'd probably be fine with the camper on but in any rain or snow conditions with the truck unloaded, I suspect that traction would be greatly diminished. My truck weighs about 7100 lbs. empty. The tires I am running have 655 lbs more capacity (each) over the factory tires.

moooringproduct, that camper is a beast! I see the really big campers around town all the time. When I first got my 1 ton truck, I thought I'd never use all of the capacity and just intended to tow. Now that I intend to both carry AND tow, the versatility of a dual wheel truck just makes so much sense.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
I never understood why someone would buy a heavy duty truck and then diminish it's capacity by getting a short bed, is 1.5 feet that much more to drive around

Nothing wrong with riding the short.

Ram 3500 Lance 881 by MooringProduct, on Flickr
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new camper. Enjoy your time out with the camper.
Have fun.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long bed and a long bed camper and the extra capacity is great. But if you really want to get off road you will appreciate the short well base and shorter length. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Congradulations, nice rig. What year is the camper? It looks just like mine. Nice and light, were very happy with ours. I haul mine on a 2500HD with no problem.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
I never understood why someone would buy a heavy duty truck and then diminish it's capacity by getting a short bed, is 1.5 feet that much more to drive around
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum twodownzero. Your truck will be just fine hauling that camper around. Enjoy the versatility of having a truck camper where you can go anywhere your truck goes at anytime you want.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome.
Your truck will do fine with that camper.
Eventually if you continue with a TC your next setup will be a better match because of experience.
If you plan on lots of off roading, you'll probably be better with the single rear 3475 or so pound rated E tires than duallys so rocks don't get stuck between the duallys. Not that I've ever seen that happen.