cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank monitor

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We made the switch from a motor home to a TT. The motor home had a propane tank monitor along with the tank and battery monitor. With the TT we have no way of knowing how much propane we have left. I have searched for some kind of monitor for the tanks but can't find one. How do you know how much propane you have?
25 REPLIES 25

DanLE46
Explorer
Explorer
I also use one tank at a time without making use of the auto-switch over feature. I like the door knob cover idea on the tank valve you're drawing from. We boon-dock frequently and I do the bathroom scale thing when I want to know EXACTLY how much propane remains in the partially used 30# tank (working with the tank's empty weight stamped on the tank and plus 4.2 #'s per gal actual remaining propane). That way I can determine clearly if I think it'd be worth the bother or necessary to top-off the partial tank at a convenient refill stop along the way. We also carry an extra 20# tank for portable grill, lantern, heater, etc.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
I, like some of the others, only open one tank at a time. Having running slap out one cold night from not checking the "red - green thingy", I like knowing that I have more when one runs out.

Same here...........
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Unfortunately the gauge Pine5008 posted won't do what you want. The problem is that a propane tank is liquid on the bottom and vapor on the top. RV's pull the vapor off the top and as the vapor comes off the top the liquid boils and releases more vapor to replace what was lost.

So the gauges that hook on the regulator will only tell you that you have pressure in the tank. The pressure will be the same whether you have a full tank, half tank, or 1/4 tank. Once the tank is empty the gauge will suddenly drop from full to empty. There really isn't much in between.

You are 100% correct. I bought a pair of the gauges because they were on sale at Kohl's for cheap and wanted to see how they perform.

I find that you can read the gauges and they both read the same all the time, but when a tank is nearing empty, it will suddenly drop to the very low end of the green range and you can tell when it's almost time to refill it. And you can tell at a quick glance when a tank is empty when it's in the yellow or red zone. In 2 camping seasons, strange as it may seem, it's been working for me.

Thanks opnspaces and myredracer for giving the OP a more accurate description of the gauge. In my defense, I only acknowledge three readings on my tanks, "full, not empty, and time to go to store". For someone like the OP, that wants a accurate reading of tank level, this gauge is not the solution.
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pouring warm or hot water on your propane tank shows you exactly how much propane is in your tank.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Unfortunately the gauge Pine5008 posted won't do what you want. The problem is that a propane tank is liquid on the bottom and vapor on the top. RV's pull the vapor off the top and as the vapor comes off the top the liquid boils and releases more vapor to replace what was lost.

So the gauges that hook on the regulator will only tell you that you have pressure in the tank. The pressure will be the same whether you have a full tank, half tank, or 1/4 tank. Once the tank is empty the gauge will suddenly drop from full to empty. There really isn't much in between.

You are 100% correct. I bought a pair of the gauges because they were on sale at Kohl's for cheap and wanted to see how they perform.

I find that you can read the gauges and they both read the same all the time, but when a tank is nearing empty, it will suddenly drop to the very low end of the green range and you can tell when it's almost time to refill it. And you can tell at a quick glance when a tank is empty when it's in the yellow or red zone. In 2 camping seasons, strange as it may seem, it's been working for me.

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
Pine5008 wrote:
Try this out:
http://www.amazon.com/Astor-Propane-Pressure-Barbeque-Gauge/dp/B00LLIG74I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414194957&sr=8-1&keywords=propane+tank+monitor

Cheap and easy

IT's not working . Well, yes is working but only when empty

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty pound tanks are now available with true float guages so surely the thirty pounders will be available with the guages soon.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a auto change over and I just keep one tank close until the other one runs out. The tanks are easily exchanged in a lot of places so if I run out in the middle of the night I just switch it over to the other one and then exchange the empty tank for a new one the next day in town.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
The most reliable method of checking remaining propane in a tank is to weigh it. I have a spring scale that I use. It does require lifting the tank off the rack. I find one tank lasts long enough I don't have to check the auto change over every day. When the gauge turns red, I fill that tank. If I want to know how much I have left in the other tank, I can weigh it. The tare weight is stamped on the tank. Propane weighs a bit over four lbs per gallon.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
pugslyyy wrote:
I don't like using the auto-changeover because I like knowing when I've drained a tank - and I'm not super diligent about checking that indicator to see if they switched automatically.
That is precisely why I have a third tank when I go south for the winter...:)
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have a gauge on each tank. I have found that the gauge will slowly go down in the green area, giving you an idea of propane remaining. I can open the top hatch and glance at the gauge without having having to remove the cover. I like the window mod and will do that also.
To me, checking propane is like checking tank levels, battery charge, 120v level, fridge temp, etc.. Just glance at them a few times a day when I'm near them.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice modification.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I made a mod to my gas bottle cover to make it easy to check the green/red flag status on the changeover valve. Removing the gas bottle to check the flag was a bit of a hassle so I tended to do it less often than I should. This mod makes that unnecessary. I used a hole saw to make a hole in the gas bottle cover right where the changeover valve is located. I pop riveted a piece of plexiglass over the hole so now I can see the flag without removing the gas bottle cover.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an idea for you. I have one of those oversized door knob covers. The kind you use to keep small children out of a room you don't want them to access. Take one of those and place it over the full tank valve. Leave that valve closed until the other tank runs out. Get the empty tank re-filled, and put the door knob cover on it. You will never be surprised by a partially full or totally empty tank again!!
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)