cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck for Eagle Cap 1165?

sharetheroadw_b
Explorer
Explorer
We recently traded an Arctic Fox 990 for a EC 1165. Besides missing my AF, I'm trying to figure out what bigger truck to put underneath this monster. I found a deal on a cab/chassis Dodge 5500 but it has 4.88 gears! Which it looks like most of the 450-5500 are all running pretty low gears. I want a payload rating of at least 6000# after the diesel and 4x4. Anybody have any experience w/ the bigger trucks, fuel milage and the like? Suggestions on a custom flatbed that won't raise the camper over 13'?
Thanks in advance!
34 REPLIES 34

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
sharetheroadw/bikes wrote:
Anybody seen these? It might work well on a cab/ chassis.
http://www.knapheide.com/product/westerner-storage-bodies/

I used a knapheide service body on my work truck for several years. I bought the cab/chassis set up brand new and I take care of my vehicles. Although built very well, it was prone to early rust issues. When I finally sold it the knapheide body was due for some body work, while the truck cab and frame was still looking good.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats, be sure to post pictures when you have it setup!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

sharetheroadw_b
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a Ram 5500 w/ 84" cab to axle and working w/ a local upfitter to have a Knaphiede bed custom for the camper. I appreciate the online help and for people reaching out to me. It's a great community!

Bedlam
JIMNLIN wrote:
IMO for just carrying a 6k truck camper you sure don't need a 450/550 truck with 4.88 gears.
Now if you had a GN trailer with 5k-7k hitch weigh and a 18k-22k lb trailer then those 4.88 would be a better choice.

The F450 CC has a 12000 lb RAWR and the F550 at 13k-14.7k lbs.

Some overkill is workable and too much overkill isn't the best idea.

The gas trucks won't have any issues with that big TC. Now if your planning on pulling a good size trailer also then the diesel makes cents/sense.

The largest TC's will easily tip over 5000 lbs. Once you add large storage compartments that may hold tools, batteries, fuel or water, you are over 6000 lbs which is close to the class 4 capacities. Now add a heavy trailer on the back that may be towing your toys, hobbies and anything else that doesn't fit on the truck - You are in class 5 weights now.

Obviously, this is not the appropriate truck for a popup with no slide and holding tanks. However if your goal is to get a large TC that has all the comforts of home and large capacities, this is the class you should at least examine.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bedlam
sharetheroadw/bikes wrote:

I know when I looked at the Palfinger version of the low sill utility body, the rear opening was too narrow for many TC's plus it would require modification to add TC points. Pricing is $8000-10,000 just for the body if you want go this route.

The best value I have found is a flat bed with utility boxes filling the voids. Depending the features and number of boxes, expect to pay $4000-6000.

If you plan to tow something heavy, pay attention to the rear skirting of the bed. None of the integrated receivers off the beds/bodies are as strong as the SuperHitch, so you will need to have clearance for the Torklift product or have something custom built or modified. Either way, the cost will be close to $1000 by time you are done.

sharetheroadw_b
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
Why not buy a house moving truck, that's what you need with that monster, nice for camping but won't be fun down the road, it's a truck camper not a house on wheels

Their was a time when all I needed was a small pack and my thumb to travel the world. I looked down on anyone who needed more then that. Now, when we are living months in the camper, things look different. But thanks for the input!

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Why not buy a house moving truck, that's what you need with that monster, nice for camping but won't be fun down the road, it's a truck camper not a house on wheels
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

sharetheroadw_b
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
IMO for just carrying a 6k truck camper you sure don't need a 450/550 truck with 4.88 gears.
Now if you had a GN trailer with 5k-7k hitch weigh and a 18k-22k lb trailer then those 4.88 would be a better choice.

The F450 CC has a 12000 lb RAWR and the F550 at 13k-14.7k lbs.

Some overkill is workable and too much overkill isn't the best idea.

The gas trucks won't have any issues with that big TC. Now if your planning on pulling a good size trailer also then the diesel makes cents/sense.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Thanks, I slipped an extra zero into my last post. It should have been 25,000 miles.

No, your original 250,000 mile number is not unreasonable. 25,000 is unreasonable. For example, suppose the diesel gets 12 MPG and the gas gets 9. Today the price in Seattle is $3.00 for gas, $3.40 for diesel. This means to recover the $8,000 investment in the diesel you need to drive 160,000 miles. Say the gas gets 9.5 MPG and you have to drive 246,000 miles

Now, you can play with different combinations of numbers but the bottom line is you are going to have to drive a lot to recover the initial outlay under any reasonable assumptions.

He stated that you could drive 250,000 miles on the $8,000 difference. NOT TRUE! At $3.40 gallon and say 12.5 mpg, that is 20,000 gallons of fuel. 20,000 x $3.40 is $68,000.

...and people always forget that a well taken care of diesel engine is worth a lot more than a gas engine at 250,000 miles.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a '10 F450 with 4.30 gears and the 6.4. It's got a 14,500 rating. The truck weights approximately 9000 lbs. I think you have to go chassis cab to get the rated payload you want. Mine gets 10-10.5 with my camper. I could be more exact, but all of my trucks have been over the passes this year. From what I read, the newer trucks don't get much better mpg when loaded.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
How did you get in my head and why didn't you leave that information there? Maybe I had flash of brilliance that went on vacation?

Honestly, right now I have way too much going on at home and work to remember how I computed that post.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Thanks, I slipped an extra zero into my last post. It should have been 25,000 miles.

No, your original 250,000 mile number is not unreasonable. 25,000 is unreasonable. For example, suppose the diesel gets 12 MPG and the gas gets 9. Today the price in Seattle is $3.00 for gas, $3.40 for diesel. This means to recover the $8,000 investment in the diesel you need to drive 160,000 miles. Say the gas gets 9.5 MPG and you have to drive 246,000 miles

Now, you can play with different combinations of numbers but the bottom line is you are going to have to drive a lot to recover the initial outlay under any reasonable assumptions.

sharetheroadw_b
Explorer
Explorer
Talked w/ local dealer today about getting a F450 w/ box and non-detuned motor and dropping box for custom flatbed. He thought box was only few hundred bucks difference. He also mentioned how hard it is to come up w/ real payload numbers off of factory provided numbers. Also said only get 4.33 gears and "6.7 a good motor". He can not order 550's.
My center of gravity is 8" behind my axle on a 8' foot box. I've been wondering what a longer wheelbase does for turning? Somewhere on a Dodge page I found some turning radius numbers but lost them.