cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Usage 2500 Watt Onan

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Adventurer Camper with a 2500 Onan onboard Generator and enquiring if others with experience with this Generator find it uses a lot of Propane. I have read itโ€™s usage is around 3/4 gal per hour of use?
20 REPLIES 20

timdan94
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking2019 wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:
Probably not a good choice for a long running generator, thus you won't go through that much propane. Maybe an hour or two here and there for A/C. It is rather noisy (though it is within National Park standards). But for quick & easy power it can't be beat. DW firing it up to run her hairdryer sure does beat the alternative of me getting booted out of the camper and being told to set up a generator!

-Eric

I had a portable 2000 kw Yamaha Gas Generator for our 5th Wheel and only used it a couple of times, hauled it around in the trailers basement and I still own it. The Camper purchase was for getting into those solitude places plus to pull our UTV Side x Side Trailer. Agreed the Generator is a little noisy and wife isnโ€™t to warm and fuzzy with the noise. Hereโ€™s my concern and why I asked the propane usage question. After our first camping trip for three days I ran the Generator 30 minutes, fired the Hot Water Heater Up three times for showers, used Shore power to run the Refrigerator and didnโ€™t run the stove. Took Camper off the truck and I left one tank Propane valve open. I checked the tank compartment to shut off the propane valve after I winterized the Camper and I found the tank indicator in the Red and the tank was empty. I know the tank was green when I pulled it off the Camper and to see it now empty concerns me that I might have a leak somewhere.
I sprayed soapy water around the tank valves, lines, regulator fittings and they are all good. I do get a slight whiff of propane when I open the Door to the Tank Compartment with the valves open. I closed off the valves with both tanks now full and thereโ€™s no propane odor. Iโ€™m thinking it needs to have the Dealer perform a leak down Pressure check as for the little time we used the propane components while camping there might be a leak in the Furnace, Refrigerator, or the Generator. Not my first RV and owned several over the past 30 years, but sure seems concerning that 5 gal tank didnโ€™t last nearly as long as I expected.

Was the tank empty or the needle in the red? If just going by the gauge mine shows empty but has lots of propane left. For that reason I never go by that gauge.

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:
Probably not a good choice for a long running generator, thus you won't go through that much propane. Maybe an hour or two here and there for A/C. It is rather noisy (though it is within National Park standards). But for quick & easy power it can't be beat. DW firing it up to run her hairdryer sure does beat the alternative of me getting booted out of the camper and being told to set up a generator!

-Eric

I had a portable 2000 kw Yamaha Gas Generator for our 5th Wheel and only used it a couple of times, hauled it around in the trailers basement and I still own it. The Camper purchase was for getting into those solitude places plus to pull our UTV Side x Side Trailer. Agreed the Generator is a little noisy and wife isnโ€™t to warm and fuzzy with the noise. Hereโ€™s my concern and why I asked the propane usage question. After our first camping trip for three days I ran the Generator 30 minutes, fired the Hot Water Heater Up three times for showers, used Shore power to run the Refrigerator and didnโ€™t run the stove. Took Camper off the truck and I left one tank Propane valve open. I checked the tank compartment to shut off the propane valve after I winterized the Camper and I found the tank indicator in the Red and the tank was empty. I know the tank was green when I pulled it off the Camper and to see it now empty concerns me that I might have a leak somewhere.
I sprayed soapy water around the tank valves, lines, regulator fittings and they are all good. I do get a slight whiff of propane when I open the Door to the Tank Compartment with the valves open. I closed off the valves with both tanks now full and thereโ€™s no propane odor. Iโ€™m thinking it needs to have the Dealer perform a leak down Pressure check as for the little time we used the propane components while camping there might be a leak in the Furnace, Refrigerator, or the Generator. Not my first RV and owned several over the past 30 years, but sure seems concerning that 5 gal tank didnโ€™t last nearly as long as I expected.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
No load/0.3 gal hr.....1/2 load/0.4 gal hr......full load/0.6 gal hr..
For propane generator.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one a little bigger its been great , uses just a bit more than gas, but worth it, runs much cleaner than gas.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
It probably varies depending on what loads you are trying to power with it.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.