cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchase new tie down points on camper

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at replacing the tie down points on my camper. I started of thinking I'd just make some (and I may) but it seems like something I should be able to buy pretty cheap.

Any idea where I can purchase brackets like the one on the camper in the photo? (found on google image search)

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

Wind_Surfer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you can find them somewhere to buy but they are very easy to make. I have just used steel angle iron (found at HD or Lowes or ....). I would not replace unless there is an absolute need to. I tried eyebolts once and they just bent.

The more difficult part is mounting them. It will depend on how the original tie downs were mounted, some can removed, others not so easy. I always used two bolts thru the angle iron a couple of inches apart to spread the load.

In the past, I have drilled new holes up thru the camper frame and then bolted. I have also put steel strap on top to provide greater surface area for better load distribution. Sometimes the rear passenger side will be in the dinette and will be difficult to hide the top of the bolts.
2011 Dodge 3500 DRW Laramie
2011 HitchHiker 31.5 FKLS

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
This seems simple enough - however gaining access to the inside "wing" of the camper might be problematic.

A 12x8" steel plate (or whatever will fit the width+decent length) on the inside of the "wing" with ether 4 holes or studs going through whatever makes up the horizontal "wing" section so that a 4x4" steel plate with an eyelet ether welded or bolted to it can be attached (thereby "sandwinching" the frame or whatever woodwork is there). Presto - new tie down attachment point.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
ajcal225 wrote:
I'm looking at replacing the tie down points on my camper. I started of thinking I'd just make some (and I may) but it seems like something I should be able to buy pretty cheap.

Any idea where I can purchase brackets like the one on the camper in the photo? (found on google image search)

Thanks in advance!

Several years ago I replaced some rusty loose eye bolts with stainless steel angle.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
TORKLIFT
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
You're in a good location for RV dealers. I'd start with them.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Either an RV salvage yard or contact the truck camper makers and see if they will sell you a set of brackets.

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking about the angled mount brackets on the TC.

I just can't buy that no one anywhere has a comparable bracket for sale.. but i havent managed to find one.

I'm unhappy with the geometry of my tie downs and would like to change it, but I really don't like just screwing some eye bolts into 30 year old 1x1 wood (which is what Coachman did).

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about those mounted on the truck or on the TC? The truck frame mounted tie downs are from Torklift. The angle brackets with the hole mounted on the TC are another thing. As in the picture, Northwood (Arctic Fox) either fabricates them or has them fabricated to their specifications.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
This company makes them: http://www.torklift.com/